eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VandTnut needs advice (and help)

View VandTnut's Feedback (+7)
    All-About VandTnut
    View VandTnut's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Point taken. The discussion is about categories. Of course I would report something if I thought it was illegal or if it broke any eBid rules that I am aware of.

About categories. Because we are listing such a wide variety of items in our stores, I am well aware of how much time it can take to agonizingly decide on the "best" category/subcategory for an item. One example: we have several vintage silver compotes and serving bowls. There is NO category for them. I asked support over two months ago, there's still nothing. They're currently in Kitchenalia, because I couldn't find anything better. Of course, they would never be used in the kitchen! Another item is a pinback button that we think is about 60 years old . . . highly collectible. There is no "Pinback" category in Collectibles or anywhere else. I finally put it in Collectibles/Badges & Patches/Character & Cartoon Badges. GreedBay has a large assortment of Pinback categories, eBid has none. Should my listings be reported and deleted?
    I understand your frustration. The general category headings are "primitive" from an auction house standpoint. They probably make perfect sense to somebody who spends 18 hours a day writing code though. I managed to get the desired results by requesting the desired sub headings starting from the top heading and working all the way down in the format that admin would need to see it. As an Example:

Collectibles>Badges & Patches>Pinbacks

Then you could have sub-headings for what kind of pinback it is under that as the category fills in.
    More to follow on the rest of your post.
    Regards
    ED

All-About VandTnut
    View VandTnut's Listings
    Forum Posts

Point taken.

There is another thread begging support to add "Unused", because "New" and "Used" just don't work for old items that are still in new condition. A couple of the posters said their listings had been deleted. This is especially painful for sellers of Uncirculated coins, Mint state postage stamps, and many collectibles. They're not Used, they're not New. What to do?

If someone were to report me because I guessed wrong as to the category, and eBid deleted them, I would be extremely upset. That's why I'm not eager to cast stones. Other people are having the same problem.
    I've put my two cent in on that too. There are specific terms used to describe condition that are well accepted in certain areas of trade and I have suggested that a see item description needs to be included.
    The jewelry trade trade is the best example where stones are described by color, cut, and clarity. New? Used? What PLANET are you FroM???
    Your comment as to eBids potential for deleting listings for a "wrong guess" is exactly why I elected to pursue the course of action I took.
    Keep admin away from the first round of communication, some people will be upset, deal with it.
    Regards.
    ED

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VandTnut View Post
    You were sent the same request as everybody else who has books on Naval, Aviation, Automotive, Farm Equipment and any other non Railroad/Railway form of transportation. Since you elected to respond instead of requesting that this be taken to the Forum>Books & Mags column for reply, I responded in kind.
    For you to throw a temper tantrum (as you obviously did) by immediately delisting your book and then giving me a blackball has just cost you a sale and a potential friend. I was prepared to buy your P.G.Wodehouse book after the e-mail notification of the port book being moved when I discovered what you have done.
    I've spent the last week reading the forums here and how many complaints there are about the lack of buyers, the lack of proper categories for listing certain specific items, not knowing when new category listings will be added.
    Well if you want the American trade there are going to be some changes. The categories THAT YOU LOT SHOULD HAVE BEEN INSISTING ON YEARS AGO have to be implemented NOW.
    The management of eBid has one chance to capture the sellers leaving greedBay and the buyers they can bring with them.
    "IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME"
    iF YOU BUILD IT WRONG THEY WILL RUN AWAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK.
    This place needs quite a lot of work done in a short time if it's going to pass muster. If it doesn't happen then the North American trade will go somewhere else.
    ED
    Please don't presume to speak for all North American's. In reading through this thread, I am NOT proud to be linked in that way, some of us (most of us) have better manners and do not try to throw our weight around.

If you know all of the answers you surely have made enough money in the 30+ years to start a site of your own and run it right! Let us know what your fees will be and maybe we will all sign up.

I have asked for new categories, several times, with the complete path that I thought would work. The items I mentioned before are just some examples. To date, none of them have been added. Normally, eBid support is great, and they DID respond immediately, telling me that new categories are added when they do scheduled updates. There have been updates since then, but still not the categories I requested.

All-About VandTnut
    View VandTnut's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have asked for new categories, several times, with the complete path that I thought would work. The items I mentioned before are just some examples. To date, none of them have been added. Normally, eBid support is great, and they DID respond immediately, telling me that new categories are added when they do scheduled updates. There have been updates since then, but still not the categories I requested.
    This is sad. For starters there needs to be a new master category for Fine China, Crystal, and Silver so all the fine dinning ware has a proper showcase. Sub-cats as appropriate. But this is getting off forum unless we are talking about BOOKS about Fine China, etc.
    I don't know why Mr. squeaky wheel gets such a quick response and you seem to be on the we can do that later list.
    Maybe a gentle reminder that you're needs have somehow dropped off the screen without being addressed might jog some stuck memory cells loose?
    Regards
    ED

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quadilicious View Post
    so in overall

v and t made it his mission to moan at members via the asq section about something the members could do nothing about.

why on earth did you contact the sellers?

they cannot add a catagory just for you.

if you had mailed me about it you would have been told where to go,, and i would think the people that ignored your asq is thinking the same thing.

For all those people that have books associated with transport ,, get them listed.

as long as they are associated with transport they are in the CORRECT catagory.

also use additional keywords transport in the title if you can.

this will make sure that your items are listed in all sections rellevant to transport.

I do believe ebid have made some alterations now but the keyword way will still work.

In my personal opinion v and t was rather fed up that his items were lost amoungst other members items.
    trying to remove them to get more exposure to his own.

well guess what

tough,, if an item is associated with that catagory then it is perfectly fine.

if you don't like it LOG OUT
    Summed up nicely Quad...

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

so glad you never sent me one of those asq`s because just reading this as got my blood boiling

your actually making it look like americans think the same as you

and if i were a american i would not want associatingf with you or your opinions which are being FORCED onto others

i`m so glad we have the blackball system as no way would i want you purchasing from me ,

i can be very abrupt and i made a mistake of contacting one member in the way you did and IT IS WRONG IT IS DEFINATELY NOT THE WAY TO GO ABOUT THINGS

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    i can be very abrupt and i made a mistake of contacting one member in the way you did and IT IS WRONG IT IS DEFINATELY NOT THE WAY TO GO ABOUT THINGS
    Merlin, thank you very much for that. You know what I mean, even if it looks a little cryptic to anybody else.

OP has made the original mistake of thinking that books can be divided into rigid categories, and then made it worse by his/her choice of examples. Even publishers and libraries get ito a muddle with railway/railroad books putting them seemingly at will in Dewey class 385 transport (social sciences) or 625 engineering. Even motoring is not as cut and dried; when I go to the nearest city I have a straight choice between car and train, now tell me motoring is nothing to do with transport.
    Ebid is growing rapidly, and as such will need to expand its categories in all areas to cater for the wider range of items offered. I have found Mark and Gazza very helpul when I suggested some changes; I would be surprised if they didn't treat other people the same way.
    At the same time give credit to sellers for having the intelligence to list books in a way that they think will attract the buyers who are looking for them, and use the existing categories correctly.

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Merlin, thank you very much for that. You know what I mean, even if it looks a little cryptic to anybody else.
    but i must stress i had no other option

as could not use pm or forum

but after thinking about it for a few days it is the wrong way to go

and btw transport is anything that can move and transport something or someone from one place to another , so if i wish to put a book about a snail carrying a ant in transport then thats what the story would be about and it would be my choice not anyone elses

Thread Information