My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Postcard Auctions or Store ???

Default Postcard Auctions or Store ???

I have been a member here for quite some time now but really never gave much effort to sell here.. Now I'm ready to get started... I added a few postcard auctions to start but am wondering if I should list the auctions in my store for better results... Can I move the auctions that I have running now into my store or would it best to leave them where they are and just add to them... Really want to know where I would be better off selling auction or store.... I have thousands of cards to list and want to get them in the right spot for best exposure....George

Forum Lurker
    View MosPostcards's Feedback (+16495)
    All-About MosPostcards
    View MosPostcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi George,
    All my postcards go into my store because I can control the catagories they go within and people can browse all my cards in one place, and make multiple purchases with savings on P & P costs.
    I have been doing very well on this site because I offer a large number of postcards to view and buy and I advertise my cards as much as I can. Gallery pictures are a must for any seller on here. I very rarely look at something unless it has a picture.
    I also have a mixture of buy it now and auction postcards. I do however think that the best option is to list as both an auction and the combined buy it now option. At least with the auction option your postcards will appear on the front page at some time.
    I hope this helps you. It's worked for me.
    Mo.

Forum Newbie
    View gardenlady's Feedback (+19)
    All-About gardenlady
    View gardenlady's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Reply to Postcard Auctions or Store Thread

I have yet to make a sale but what I have been doing will eventually work. I run an auction with the auction price and Buynow Price. When the auction ends with no sale, I repost the auction and then edit it and make it a Run Until Sold Auction with a Buynow Price. I also make sure to put all of my auctions in my store. This, I believe makes my auctions more visible as well as easier to manage.

Link to my store:
    http://us.ebid.net/stores/Garden-Lad...--Collectibles
    Last edited by gardenlady; 28th September 2008 at 07:29 PM.

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by postman63 View Post
    I have been a member here for quite some time now but really never gave much effort to sell here.. Now I'm ready to get started... I added a few postcard auctions to start but am wondering if I should list the auctions in my store for better results... Can I move the auctions that I have running now into my store or would it best to leave them where they are and just add to them... Really want to know where I would be better off selling auction or store.... I have thousands of cards to list and want to get them in the right spot for best exposure....George
    On ebid anything you have in your store is also searchable as a normal listing. Your 'store' is just another doorway to the listings, and a great way for you to organise. In my opinion it's best to list with an auction start price AND a BIN price. that way you'll get the interet of those who like to bid, and those who like to buy now.

if you have any unusual or rare postcards i recommend you list them with an auction length of at least 8 days ( but avoid 'run until sold' as these are at the back of the search categories) so that it qualifies for ebids free upload to google products.

George,
    the vast majority of my cards are listed as auctions with a BIN and are listed as such in my store as well. As HannaHolly says, a store is just an alternative way oforganizing your listings. If you list them as just BIN they will always remain at the end of the long list of postcards that are offered on Ebid., whereas running them as auctions they will appear at the top (beginning) of the category. On the other hand, only items that have a BIN price, get uploaded to Google, hence the combination of auction + BIN.

Quote Originally Posted by MosPostcards View Post
    Hi George,
    All my postcards go into my store because I can control the catagories they go within and people can browse all my cards in one place, and make multiple purchases with savings on P & P costs.
    I have been doing very well on this site because I offer a large number of postcards to view and buy and I advertise my cards as much as I can. Gallery pictures are a must for any seller on here. I very rarely look at something unless it has a picture.
    I also have a mixture of buy it now and auction postcards. I do however think that the best option is to list as both an auction and the combined buy it now option. At least with the auction option your postcards will appear on the front page at some time.
    I hope this helps you. It's worked for me.
    Mo.
    Hi Mo

What would you say was the threshold when you began to get sales, vis a vis the numbers of cards you listed? I note you say you do well because of the large number you list - I just wondered at what point you began to attract buyers rather than just viewers?

Vintage postcards bought and sold
    Established internet postcard trader since 2004
    and we now have an Ebid book store (mainly non fiction)

Our Stores: http://oldpostcards.ebid.net/
    http://books4sale.ebid.net/

All About Me: http://uk.ebid.net/users/OldPostcards

if you got THE card that someone wants the answer is ONE if you havent the the answer is as many cards as you can list.....

or to put it another way... when maple and I do a postcard fair we take about 25,000 cards with us and we might sell 50 or we might sell 1,000 it all depends if we have the card someone wants and there is no telling if we have or not until they look

Forum Lurker
    View MosPostcards's Feedback (+16495)
    All-About MosPostcards
    View MosPostcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile Totally agree

Hi everyone,
    The reason I started to get more sales was two fold really. I was attracting a lot of buyers over from 'fleecebay' and also listing high volumes of postcards. I don't do 'fleecebay' anymore but I do attract buyers from other places.
    I agree that you only need to list one card for it to sell if that buyer happens to come along. If you list more variety then you will cater for the needs of multiple different buyers. Basic concepts really. I don't know about other people but if I visit a site I like lots of choice. Thanks to the other postcard dealers with their interesting and varied stock this is attracting more buyers and repeat buyers to Ebid.
    If you want more selling success then simply have lots of listings at competitive or realistic prices. Otherwise you might have to wait longer for that one buyer to come along. All the postcard dealers need to attract old customers and advertise where possible.
    I wish all the postcard sellers the best of luck with their sales.
    Mo.

thanks Mo - I am doing my best to bring my past Feebay customers over here. I sold well on Feebay - still there, until I see if the changes are going to make it unviable; but will still be listing here more and more. Ebid will be BIG one day I am sure of it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

All the best to all Ebidders.

Vintage postcards bought and sold
    Established internet postcard trader since 2004
    and we now have an Ebid book store (mainly non fiction)

Our Stores: http://oldpostcards.ebid.net/
    http://books4sale.ebid.net/

All About Me: http://uk.ebid.net/users/OldPostcards

Thread Information