My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Need Advice for Our Return Policy

Default Need Advice for Our Return Policy

When we first started listing coins on GreedBay, I was advised that there is a danger with uncertified high-grade coins. Some buyers will open the flip, substitute a lower-grade coin, then return it and demand a refund because it was "not as described". I haven't yet listed any of the more valuable ones yet for this reason. Paying a grading service to certify them would be too expensive.

We put a note in each description that we will not accept a return if the cardboard flip has been opened. It's almost impossible to match the staple marks exactly, so I think I could spot it. However, I'm wondering if this is really a problem? Maybe unique to GreedBay? Have any of you more experienced sellers ever had this problem?

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Having a sense(feel) of the bidder can help, and give a heads-up for dealings.(If possible)
    Homework and foresight also helps.
    That being said....
    If seller is honest and really accurate, then rate of return might be 1 out of every 25-35 transactions(different buyers).
    Or you can state twice in offerings... sold as is, no returns.
    I have never had a Note returned via online auction or mail order, and we are talking well over 2,500.
    BUT the difference is coin vs. note and the collectors mind and attitude behind them.
    Answer for you..... use your judgement for return policy or no returns.
    Give info in offering and clear scans. Roll with the seldom punch.
    Don't know what more to say... but thats the ins and outs, basically.
    I will reply to responses to this(if adequate), here.

All-About FBNeNotes
    Forum Posts

Here is a coin seller on ebids Policy.

All sales are final. No refunds or exchanges. PLEASE make sure you are aware of condition of the coin. PLEASE ask questions or request additional photographs before you bid. All bids are binding and all sales are final. If there is a mistake in the auction listing that may describe one item and picture another, and there is a bid on the item or there is less than 12 hours left on the auction, the decision on which item will be awarded lies within the discretion of the seller and all decisions are final. Exchanges will be permitted if it is discovered that the wrong coin has been shipped. Exchanges may only be for the original coin that was bid on. SHIPPING AND INSURANCE CHARGES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS DISCLAIMER SUPERSEDES ALL PAST AND EXISTING WARRANTIES.

Wow! It sounds as though the warnings were true, this seller obviously had some bad experiences. I'm going to save this and think about it. Maybe keep my current policy for the low-grade items and use the stricter one for the more valuable coins where there's a danger of coin-switching.

Thanks for your help.

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Personally, I don't know whether I would buy anything from that particular seller or not. Many times pictures(no matter how clear) don't tell the whole story. Small scratches and defects are sometimes obliterated(especially on shiny silver coins),or they can be altered(photoshop)--I'm not accusing anyone. I just know that sometimes you get a coin you just don't like. I would like to know that I had a legitimate avenue of recourse. Its sorta like buying a pig in a poke, picture or no. As to someone swapping coins on you, I don't sell many high dollar stuff so I personally don't have to worry too much about that. However, if you have big buck unslabbed coins for sale, I would do all that I could to prevent something like that from happening. Slabbed coins should present no problems in this area as usually the slab is destroyed in the process. Maybe you should have those coins slabbed. You could probably get more for them and you would have an added measure of security. Just my thoughts.

All-About FBNeNotes
    Forum Posts

Absolutely... never use a scan as fact.. One most know the seller and how he grades. Walk softly when buying coin or note.. especially above $20.00
    Experience and homework.. and trust in seller are the answers for online auction buying. Scans are guides, price value/s are guides.
    Beware of Hype always.

Forum Lurker
    Newton Stewart, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
    View goldsovereign's Feedback (+7)
    All-About goldsovereign
    View goldsovereign's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    Absolutely... never use a scan as fact.. One most know the seller and how he grades. Walk softly when buying coin or note.. especially above $20.00
    Experience and homework.. and trust in seller are the answers for online auction buying. Scans are guides, price value/s are guides.
    Beware of Hype always.
    Totally agree. If I have any doubts on the advertised quality or grading of raw coins I ask the seller to send clear scans of obverse and revererse to my private email address. That way I can save the scans and enlarge them to check on wear, damage and grading etc. If I don't like what I see I don't buy. If the seller makes excuses to not send scans...... I don't buy! Sellers' overgrading their raw coins is a BIG problem so as a general rule I buy rare/scarce expensive raw coins only from reputable dealers or collectors I have got to know as trustworthy over the years. Slabbed coins are less popular in the UK but more are being offered for sale. It is often said that slabbed coins are overgraded too, mainly due to 'eye appeal' being a significant factor in higher grading that has become too much relied upon in valuations. So whether you buy raw or slabbed........ buyer beware!

The only exception I make is for Proof Coins or Proof Sets that come in the original case, the coins encapsulated and have a certificate of authenticity from the Mint of issue. With these I have no problem buying online.

I offer to send larger pictures in all my coin listings, so I obviously have no problem with that. I agree any seller who wouldn't do that is someone to stay away from. I also don't have a problem with the lower-grade coins or the low-value high-grade, there's no point in substituting another one. I have also read many times that collectors are not crazy about certified coins, some of them want the reassurance and then take them out of the slabs!

I'm going to wait a while to decide. I have a lot of coins to add, when I get time, so I'll stick to the less valuable ones at first and see how things develop here.

Thanks for all your input.

Forum Lurker
    Newton Stewart, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
    View goldsovereign's Feedback (+7)
    All-About goldsovereign
    View goldsovereign's Listings
    Forum Posts

Tia, are you getting coin sales? I'm getting plenty of 'lookers' only but then I haven't listed much as I'm waiting for new coin stock to arrive.

I've sold three coins and one token. Those are the only sales I've had here so far (we're new). I won't have time to add any more until I get everything moved from GreedBay.

Our stores here have over 400 items between them and haven't sold anything else yet. Of course, sales on GreedBay came to a skidding halt about two months ago, so we haven't lost anything except those godawful fees!

As for views, I stopped worrying about them a long time ago. One item that I moved here (it's a somewhat rare camera accessory) had 483 views on the dark side, no bids, questions or watchers.

Thread Information