eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Repros in Antiques Category!

Forum Lurker
    View millenniums's Feedback (+4)
    All-About millenniums
    View millenniums's Listings
    Forum Posts

I want to thank you too, Diane. I've been to that site many times in the past, but lost track of it. I searched it today just to see if he had any photos of things I sold on eBay. Sure enough, there was one! Whether it was fake or not, I'll never know. I thought it was authentic, but you have to wonder how someone can authenticate from a photo. I never could, unless it was an amateur attempt. I can't be sure until I have an item in my hands and can examine it under a microscope. The first time I checked the Roman category I saw one item: a string of beads. They looked so lonely all by themselves, I thought I might give them some company.

The Roman artifacts I'm offering on eBid were purchased in 10 kilo unsorted lots 6-7 years ago, from a group of Bulgarian treasure hunters. At that time it was still legal for anyone to loot Roman sites and profit from it. I knew it was over when the last lot consisted of about 50% fakes. I sold a few of the fakes, AS FAKES for educational purposes. My personal favorite was two ordinary Roman bronze arrowheads with exactly the same broken edge. Clearly made from the same broken mold. They sold for $32.

The best authentic (in my opinion) pieces I saved for my collection. My father died at 66. I just turned 65 this year. How much longer can I expect to enjoy my collections? I would rather leave my wife the money I can get for selling them. Watch my auctions closely. You will never see the same thing twice.

I'm just beginning to sell on Ebid. I also have meteorites, dinosaur bones, teeth and tracks, tarpit fossils, Roman & Greek silver & bronze coins, ancient Roman glass, Currier & Ives, Golden Age Disney, Maxfield Parrish illustrated books & lithographs, antique Medical Quackery devices and just plain weird stuff.

Question: Why are there over a thousand auctions listed under Antiques/aboriginal? I checked: There are NONE.

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by millenniums View Post

The Roman artifacts I'm offering on eBid were purchased in 10 kilo unsorted lots 6-7 years ago, from a group of Bulgarian treasure hunters. At that time it was still legal for anyone to loot Roman sites and profit from it. I knew it was over when the last lot consisted of about 50% fakes. I sold a few of the fakes, AS FAKES for educational purposes. My personal favorite was two ordinary Roman bronze arrowheads with exactly the same broken edge. Clearly made from the same broken mold. They sold for $32.
    Is there any reason you're not offering your stuff to the whole world. All your items are available to the U.S. only. Your sales would be much better if everybody could see them. I'd be quite tempted myself!

Forum Lurker
    All-About millenniums
    Forum Posts

Default Why I don't ship Worldwide

Hi Kedo: I used to sell worldwide, but it was too much trouble:
    1. Guy in Spain wins an auction. I wait 3 WEEKS before asking when I could expect to be paid. He negs me with "everything is fake" & of course, he never paid!

2. British character wins auction, gets the item, gives me a positive feedback. Week later he's blustering and fuming and demanding an immediate refund. As a gentleman I gave it to him, trusting him to return the item. He never did, even though I pay the return postage.

3. Guy in Poland wins several Byzantine crosses. After a month they never arrive. I refund $250. He writes back "The mail carriers steal everything here." Thank you for letting me know!

4. It took awhile to figure this one out: Several Byzantine crosses sent to Italy were lost and I had to pay refunds to several people. Finally I learned Italy's dirty little secret: Customs confiscates ANY Byzantine artifacts and gives them to the Pope I'm assuming. They never told me anything. I learned from other sellers who simply refuse to ship to Italy. If you're thinking about doing it, DON'T!

5. Then there's the actual shipping. And filling out the Customs forms (I had a rubber stamp made). And the cost, which can vary depending on the destination. I usually came up short.

I would go the the Post Office with a sack of 20-30 Priority Mail boxes and one or two International Priority mail envelopes. Boxes were processed in seconds. The envelopes always kept me there too long. Now I only ship worldwide as a favor, if a bidder asks me.

well so long as you remember this is a UK site and the vast majority of the members are UK based, therefore you have cut your customer base down by quite a lot by not offering international sales

Forum Lurker
    All-About millenniums
    Forum Posts

Hi Edge: GOOD GRIEF! I wish I had known! Never meant to offend. I guess I shouldn't let one or two bad apples spoil the lot. I'm going to change my auctions to accept bidders in England and France, because in the long run, bidders from both countries were pleasant to deal with. Thank you for your comments, Rudy

well it's the first time I have been called Edge on here... most people call me Somer ;-)

you didn't offend me but I thought it only fair you knew what country the site was based in.... I am not saying you will now get sales but you do now have a better chance of getting them...

As for Italy.... you are not the only one who hates their postal system... to the point that I will not ship there on some sites and on others I very clearly state it is at there risk that I post there... South Africa is another VERY Iffy one... Where as Russia and what was the Russian States have improved no end over the last couple of years.

Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View KAYS6912's Feedback (+245)
    All-About KAYS6912
    View KAYS6912's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by millenniums View Post
    Hi Edge: GOOD GRIEF! I wish I had known! Never meant to offend. I guess I shouldn't let one or two bad apples spoil the lot. I'm going to change my auctions to accept bidders in England and France, because in the long run, bidders from both countries were pleasant to deal with. Thank you for your comments, Rudy
    UK = United Kingdom which consists of England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. You gonna ignore the rest of the UK if they happen to bid on one of your items?
    Nancy
    Ceud měle f?*ilte!
    ‘A hundred thousand welcomes!’

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BARGAIN-BROWSER

GENERAL STORE

Forum Lurker
    All-About millenniums
    Forum Posts

OK Somer: I just finished editing my auctions and want to thank you again. In the process I found over twenty auctions listed as NEW. Maybe I need new reading glasses! Again. thanks for taking the time for an Ebid newbie, Rudy

Forum Lurker
    All-About millenniums
    Forum Posts

Hi Nancy: Honestly, I don't remember EVER shipping to Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland in ten years on Feebay. The only bids I would refuse would be from Italy, Poland (that hurts because I am from Polish decent), Africa and Asia. I know I said ENGLAND but there was only a button for UK, so anyone in the UK may bid. Thanks for helping me clarify a careless previous statement. Rudy

Forum Lurker
    View Dianekmt's Feedback (+221)
    All-About Dianekmt
    View Dianekmt's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi everyone,
    It is a shame you guys have had trouble with selling outside your own country. Please don't forget Australia, we aren't a bad bunch here on the whole!

I sell to the whole world, and don't have problems, but I send everything by registered, and insured mail. Even small items. I absorb the extra cost, and in the long run it brings happy customers, and repeat buisness. If you are a seller+ eBidder, the fees you save here more than adequately compensate for spending extra for secure shipping.

Something people forget is, that all feebay categories are full of junk, and it doesn't stop people buying from there. The more authentic items are listed in each category, the more insignificant the junk becomes.
    The more effort everyone puts into it, the better eBid becomes.

Best wishes from OZ,
    Diane.

Thread Information