Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Valuation of gold jewellery

Cool Valuation of gold jewellery

Hi,
    I've been selling some jewellery I inherited on Greedbay, but I still have some bits and pieces left which I'd like to try and sell. Getting them valued without paying through your nose is my big problem. I live in rural Ireland and haven't found anybody who can value the items for me (one of the local jewellers did me a favour once and told me how much one of the chains was worth, but I can't go there again and again...).
    Any helpful hints would be appreciated.
    Luna

Please visit my eBid Stores

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Luna

I'd still go and ask your local jeweller

Shy bairns get nowt.....and they can only give you one of two answers, yes or no they can't hang you for asking

Yv x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

Are any of the items similar to others listed in online auctions? That can sometimes be useful. Also weighing gold jewellery will at the very least give you an idea of the scrap value as a starting place. If any of the pieces are signed that also helps as many online sites give prices for certain designers jewellery.
    Lots of variables in jewellery pricing - type of item, content, condition, age - but in the end it's the market. Which means you can always just decide what you are willing to take, start there and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by klj View Post
    Are any of the items similar to others listed in online auctions? That can sometimes be useful. Also weighing gold jewellery will at the very least give you an idea of the scrap value as a starting place. If any of the pieces are signed that also helps as many online sites give prices for certain designers jewellery.
    Lots of variables in jewellery pricing - type of item, content, condition, age - but in the end it's the market. Which means you can always just decide what you are willing to take, start there and see what happens.
    Tnx for your replies.
    That's what I've basically been doing, weighing them, checking the gold price, looking for similar items and trying to trace jeweller's stamps etc. Still, to sell something for way below it's value is very difficult, especially when the jewellery belonged to a close relative of mine...
    I have for the last year or so sold 2 or 3 pieces at a time and then put in a break to recover (emotionally) from the trauma of selling them.
    Last edited by LunabuAllsorts; 22nd September 2008 at 10:38 AM.
    Luna

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

They aren't pieces you would wear? Seems you are going through a lot of pain selling these!
    But if you are going to sell, put them at a price that you like - what you think the value may be - the market may just accomodate you!
    A jeweler may give you an indication, but it may cost you and won't solve your emotional misgivings.
    I've found the easiest thing to do with the family pieces is to try to look objectively at the piece, consider what you would honestly be willing to pay for it, and decide if it doesn't sell for that you are keeping it or passing it down the family line.

Thanks for your good advice. You appear to be thinking along similar lines to myself.
    Unfortunately, there's next to nothing that I myself would wear or my daughter, so selling them seems to be the best solution. I think I'll have to carry on as before: try and sell some pieces for what I feel I can let them go for (and not to make too many mistakes), and then put in a break before selling the next lot.
    Luna

Thread Information