Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Please get rid of.. Run Until Sold

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    The auction add screen makes you do that, in my experience. If you try to put zero it objects - you have to make the two match if you don't want a reserve. You *can* have zero in the edit screen I think. Just a little ebid "feature"
    Im going to aim (doesnt mean it will happen, but aim is a good start!) to do some new listings today and tidy up my existing ones. They were kind of "thrown on" to get me started here but Im not happy with the layout etc.

I will look into that, cos its annoying when it says you have an auction with a reserve and you know dam well you didnt do it!

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ah, well... there you have, for me, the very crux and nub, the quintessential *heart* of the flashing R conundrum. It says "no reserve *or* reserve met"... two entirely different things. It seems entirely nonsensical that the absence of a reserve should be indicated by a flashing symbol, and that this same symbol can mean something quite different with its own separate significance.

<waves hands about airily and sticks nose in air>

A complete nonsense, I tell you!

<strolls off>

<strolls back>

Oh, by the way, I looked at the first page of your 3 shops, and they all appeared to be Buy Nows anyway - did I miss the auctions?

<realises high-falutin' facade has slipped>

Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Ah, well... there you have, for me, the very crux and nub, the quintessential *heart* of the flashing R conundrum. It says "no reserve *or* reserve met"... two entirely different things. It seems entirely nonsensical that the absence of a reserve should be indicated by a flashing symbol, and that this same symbol can mean something quite different with its own separate significance.

<waves hands about airily and sticks nose in air>

A complete nonsense, I tell you!

<strolls off>

<strolls back>

Oh, by the way, I looked at the first page of your 3 shops, and they all appeared to be Buy Nows anyway - did I miss the auctions?

<realises high-falutin' facade has slipped>

Oops.
    I think they came and went - hence I need to sort out

l8rs
    xxx

For anybody who is not getting what the original poster says.....please keep in mind you have to put your "new ebid visitor" hat on before you make your decision. This is all about what a casual "just dropped by today for the first time" browser might think when they come to this site. If you want them to take the site seriously and return again and again there are certain things they may be expecting to see. That said.....

1. Seeing RUN UNTIL SOLD if I was a new visitor would tell me this is a stale item not worth my reading the description since obviously it's been there forever. Ask yourself what it says to you and be honest! You are all experienced on this site and other sites so be critical! So IMHO logic would be to make this wording different or invisible to potential buyers.....since you don't want to appear to be parking shop worn items even if in fact you are. Maybe it could say STOCK ITEM or STORE ITEM so they get the idea you have it available often or always if you want potential customers to in fact know that....that could be a check box?? I think we have to remember we have a NEW visitor here who may not be familar with eBid and is probably coming with some common conceptions gained by past experience on other sites. We can't be swimming upstream so much on some of these issues IMHO

2. And speaking of swimming upstream......that's what the flashing red r's are.....eBid may want them to mean something entirely different.....but flashing red r's to new visitors here are going to logically say RESERVE NOT MET. This is poison for any seller trying to use the auction venue. EBid will never entice me to list any of my high end items here until it disappears....this is mickey mouse, unnecessary and a slap in the face to the serious auction seller. It needs to be gone YESTERDAY. There is no middle ground here....it is what it is and not what eBid wants it to be just because we are on eBid.

This sillyness needs to be gone. FLASHING IS BAD medically and passe'......RESERVES are tough to get buyers to accept except in cases of a very rare item and should never be used unless absolutely necessary IMHO. To label every auction on the site with a flashing red r is like shooting every seller here in the heart and forcing them to start off with a scarlet R stamped over the top of their description. It practically guarantees our offerings will be ignored....is that what you want? In the cases of "indicating bids", or "auctions with reserves" being like "the other guys" is not a bad thing. Doing otherwise is simply confusing your new visitors, buyers and ticking off your sellers.

This all above is of course is MHO based on 10 years of successful selling on the darkside and a nearly 100% sell through rate, over 7000 positive feedbacks and over 50K in merchandise sold per year.(go over there and check out my id on the site if you don't believe me.) I'd like to be able to do that here someday.....and keep in mind eBid would be getting at minimum 2% of that amount yearly since I alway use gallery. I would probably use bold, featured, etc. increasing those fees even more! I agree with the original OP.....and I am a seller who needs a PROFESSIONAL site. This site does many things right....but there needs to be some minor changes happening yesterday.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree with you about run til sold rainbowseeker - if I came across one I would thinks ,hmm I'll come back to that later as there is no rush. Whereas a time limited auction increases the possibility that the item will disappear and may not re-appear later, therefore encouraging a possible sale.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Lofty...Don't get me wrong though.....I am not recommending getting rid of the feature....just drop the wording a potential buyer sees. You don't need to be advertising that you are parking your items even if you are.

I personally try not to do that. If I'm parking something it is my store at a fixed price and generally is stuff like pbs where I know my price and shipping is fine.

Smile

I would like to see end of flashing [r] 's and agree about the list until sold being made public.

However, I'm using this thread to test to see if my signature shows.

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

When the wording, Run Until Sold... is NOT visable to lookers, you will see a steady upstream of buyers as the following weeks(5) will prove.
    Lookers then will stay ""here longer"" also.. on their browsing adventure.
    ... enough has now been said. Thanks.

Simply get rid of the 'Run Until Sold' from lookers view!!!!!!!!
    PLEASE!

" Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't. "
    Ben Franklin

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...-and-Militaria

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevil-COMICS

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...CTCs-and-Games

Hi there - I'm a newbie, so perhaps don't really have the right to speak up yet..... but have to say I hate the "run till sold" label on the listings - as stated on an earlier post, it looks as though we can't sell the stuff and it's certainly no incentive to customers to buy, they just think it will be there for ever.
    Sorry, I hate the flashing R too - dare I say a bit Mickey Mouse.
    My goodness, I wouldn't have dared say such things on the boards "over there" for fear of being shot or more likely having my business ruined!

Thread Information