Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Do you want to keep or lose the flashing r's ?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lose the flashing r's

120 88.24%
  • Keep the flashing r's

16 11.76%
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll to keep or lose the flashing r's

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I sort of agree with you, gothicina, except that we have had no indication from the management that this has been taken on board. The arguments are overwhelming for removing flashing anything from the site but we are being treated like mushrooms again.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

All-About tpypr
    View tpypr's Listings
    Forum Posts

1) Most importantly we have commenced work on a complete new redesign. Our intention is to become one of the top shopping destinations in the world and this requires a layout that is as close to perfection as possible.

I'm sorry folks, but I just finished listening to four years of this. By replacing 'shopping destinations' with 'nations' and 'layout' with 'federal program', we have the equivalent of yet one more of those innumerable, generic presidential candidate speeches we here in the USA have become (in)famous for.
    In light of this recent revelation from the mountaintop, I believe we should practice watchful patience, meaning that this, along with Rainbowseeker's thread concerning visualizing the bid element, should be kept in active status (bump bump bump) as reminders to any and all that we strongly believe these suggestions to be prominent in importance concerning the growth potential of Ebid.

I see I am with the majority here. YAY!

I think maybe keep them for auctions that HAVE a reserve or haven't reached a reserve. But coming up with a screen full of "r"s is really annoying!

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yep.... Bump

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View maroy41's Feedback (+1089)
    All-About maroy41
    View maroy41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Down with the flashing red dot, abolish it NOW
    Great books reasonable prices please click on the logo below and browse around I have quite a selection for you to choose from.

Some great Dvd's --->
    Here

View Brunwulf's Feedback (+89)
    All-About Brunwulf
    View Brunwulf's Listings
    Forum Posts

Before i start i do agree the flashing purple [ r ] icon needs to be static, In the two years i've been here i never had a problem with the purple [ r ]. I suppose it like if someone points out a small "mark on the car " you start to notice it all the time and it can get obsessive

What should the new icon be? it can't just be changed to a static purple [ r ] as that is already used .

They also need to update any faq with the updated icon and some words that it has changed.

As the [ r ] has been sent to almost half a million active members in the news letter most of which don't read or visit the forum the change will have to be posted in a future newsletter.

Don't quote me but I expect when they update the site we will see this changed, to me that would be the ideal time to make changes such as this.
    Last edited by jimbo750; 26th November 2008 at 01:20 PM.
    More wine please ...

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

jimbo, it is not a question of being obsessed - I found it irritating at first but I don't see it any more but I suffer from neither epilepsy nor migraines. It's a real issue for those who do.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    jimbo, it is not a question of being obsessed - I found it irritating at first but I don't see it any more but I suffer from neither epilepsy nor migraines. It's a real issue for those who do.
    I've suffered from migraines for over 45 years & the flashing R's are not big enough or noticable enough to trigger one in me.
    Now some of the flashing brightly coloured banners used by many other websites, & occasionally as forum sigs on other websites are.

Yes I agree they should go, I think I started the original thread shortly after they were added, long, long before this one, tho I cannot find it now.
    I know that Stitchysyl posted this back in April 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchysyl View Post
    As I said before...I can't see the point of reserve prices...but if they are to stay...then I would LOVE to get rid of those blinking 'reserve price met' icons.

Rather see the number of bids on an item instead....
    I know I posted this suggestion on that thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    How about leaving things as they are, but making it easier to see if an auction has a reserve when browsing, instead of having to go into the auction?

Instead of the flashing red R for reserve met,
    why not a static red R for all auctions with reserves,
    that changes to a static green R when the reserve is met.

Then if you don't like reserve auctions you can just pass them by.
    These were both made back when Gazza asked about removing reserves.
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=93247

If they'd made changes back then, or even in the last couple of months that would have been great, but I really cannot see the point of them doing it now.

There is no such thing as a simple fix when it comes to computers, every action always has a reaction, & not always the one you expect, especially when the system is struggling, as Gazza has admitted it is.

If they replace the flashing icon with a blank one, then there will nothing to differentiate between auctions with reserves & those without, then they will have to deal with the complaints about that, & there will be complaints about that, same as there are ones about sellers setting feedback limits before buyers can bid.

Like Jimbo has said if they replace it with something else, then they will have to update the FAQ's & send out notification of the change in the next newsletter, all fairly unnecessary extra work if they are going to change it all again with the redesign.

Now if they don't change it with the redeign, then I'll probably be the first to start a new thread about it, much like last time.

Tpypr, this is not America, this is NOT American Politics, or British Politics come to that.
    When Gazza & Mark say they are going to do something, they usually do, .... eventually.
    Not always as quickly as we'd like, I agree, but they do do it.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 26th November 2008 at 02:35 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Nothing has been addressed to this thread directly by management. I would suggest the original poster write asking if getting rid of these icons might be part of the new redesign or not and see if they get an answer. And post the answer here if they do get it.

When I make assumptions I am not always correct. If a positive reply is given then it might make sense to let the thread expire or be buried. My own personal feelings are....would this then become a case of "out of sight - out of mind"? We have no way of knowing IMHO.

If we keep the thread alive it continues to show how many people DO think this is important and there can be no misunderstandings. It also lets new users see that if they don't like the icons this problem might be taken care of sometime in the future. So maybe they will decide to "hang" around like the rest of us here.............

And yes this is not the USA..... which makes understanding just that much more difficult. Understanding different cultures is a two way street. Of course this is all my own opinion. Others can speak for themselves.

Yes, get rid of the flashing r, and show the Number of Bids and High Bid in the search results. It would be ok to find out if an auction has a reserve by clicking on the auction, but it is not ok to have to click on the auction to find out if it has bids. The priorities are backwards. I would love to see this site take over where feebay has left off, but confusing the buyers is not the way to go. Let's hope for positive changes in the "redesign".

Thread Information