Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Do you want to keep or lose the flashing r's ?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lose the flashing r's

120 88.24%
  • Keep the flashing r's

16 11.76%
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll to keep or lose the flashing r's

There's sure to be some wiseguy along here soon, saying we don't understand the implications of what we're asking... how many months of programming effort it takes to remove the flashing R's... etc etc.

I can feel a Victor Meldrew moment coming on.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Lurker
    View cruellady's Feedback (+42)
    All-About cruellady
    View cruellady's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    There's sure to be some wiseguy along here soon, saying we don't understand the implications of what we're asking... how many months of programming effort it takes to remove the flashing R's... etc etc.

I can feel a Victor Meldrew moment coming on.
    :: snorts in agreement::

But nah - two minutes with any graphics proggie, and you can stop 'em flashing (it's just an animated .gif), four minutes, and it's gone forever ...

Cru
    x

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well folks it seems that a lot of people who use the site do not wish to vote on this subject as there are only 88 votes in at the moment....and this has been on for a while...so in my opinion it is no wonder the powers that be are leaving things as is....but for what it is worth....I think they should be removed......Papa.( Please )

I sincerely hope that the issue of the annoying flashing r hasn't gone away or been forgotten about.

In my opinion it's one of the most annoying things about using the site from a BUYER's point of view and isn't the buyer the most important person around here?

The planned improvements to the site which Gazza has spoken of are great for the sellers but removing the flashing red r will remove an obstacle and improve the experience of the first time buyer who would mostly think it means everything has a reserve on it.

The vast majority of auctions are no reserve auctions which makes the use of the flashing r to denote this completely superfluous. Alloting a flashing red r to the items which DO have a reserve (if you really must have it at all) would enable them to stand out from the rest far more easily.

Please, Mark and Gazza, while I appreciate you have a lot on your plate, it isn't a monstrous code change to sort this small matter out when you are updating the site next.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I so totally agree with this.. AND it is an accessibility issue and that will eventually become a legal matter.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View Opis's Feedback (+664)
    All-About Opis
    View Opis's Listings
    Forum Posts

I sincerely hope that the issue of the annoying flashing r hasn't gone away or been forgotten about.
    Agreed, and nice one for keeping up the thread

I was a buyer before I got into selling on auction sites, and two things used to stop me from browsing on ebid:

1. The flashing 'R's. Hated them, so off putting when looking for items, so logged off ebid very quickly everytime. Humans (and most animals) are drawn to movement, therefore all I saw on screen were flashing letters NOT the items. Please someone get rid of them!
    2. The site was far too slow to navigate (though things are getting quicker nowadays).
    Just my opinion

This thread should be kept alive along with the BID VISIBILITY thread IMO. We need more votes to this poll too. Lets keep it alive too people....what do you all think?

The subjects of these polls go hand and hand and are equally important.....get rid of the flashing red r's on auctions with no reserve and show the bids! PLEASE....and as soon as possible because we need the new people coming on to this site with this advertising campaign to have a clear understanding of the site. ALL SELLERS WILL BENEFIT if this happens, IMHO.

Until the rebuilt site goes live, see Gazza's post yesterday, it's absolutely pointless the guys wasting time making any changes to the existing site, other than those they have to because they are caused by glitches.

Much in the same way you wouldn't tinker with an old car engine, any more that you absolutely had to if you knew you were getting a new engine in the near future.

Once they have the rebuilt site up & running, they have already said they will then get back on top of the changes requested.
    As they've put layout as part of the no 1 priority that should cover both the R's & bid visibility issues.

As we have grown over the years we have made more and more additions to the site's software and there comes a time where you can't bolt anything else on and have to bite the bullet and roll things back to basics and rebuild from the bottom up. That is what we've been doing over the last 3 months and is the reason you won't have seen too many new additions to the site in that time.

I'm glad to say we're done now and are currently testing everything, although you won't see any drastic cosmetic changes when we launch the updated site, we will be much more scalable and capable of future growth and large influxes of new users won't cause the outages that soem of you may have experienced over the last couple of months.

As some of you will know we have a long list of objectives that we try to keep up with and that list has been growing whilst we worked on the new software but don't worry we are already back on the case and are currently working on :

1) Most importantly we have commenced work on a complete new redesign. Our intention is to become one of the top shopping destinations in the world and this requires a layout that is as close to perfection as possible.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 25th November 2008 at 05:51 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Thread Information