Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Do you want to keep or lose the flashing r's ?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lose the flashing r's

120 88.24%
  • Keep the flashing r's

16 11.76%
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Poll to keep or lose the flashing r's

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Management have their blind spots - these flashing icons are one of them.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

It would be real nice if Gazza could tell us they are going going soon to be gone. Just give us the hope of loosing the red r's.

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    It would be real nice if Gazza could tell us they are going going soon to be gone. Just give us the hope of loosing the red r's.
    Indeed it would be really nice. But what if he said they're staying?

Considering that Gazza writing a message to tell us would only take about the same amount of time as changing a flashing r to a static one... well, it's hardly likely, is it?

If we could rustle up 1,000 voters in this poll, that might get some heads turning. I don't often venture into the Kitchen Table, it's become a place where I feel a bit of an outsider, all the regulars swapping jokes and inuendos relating to previous discussions. But it seems like there's thousands of regulars there. Has anyone who's part of the 'in crowd' there tried to drum up interest there in a big way? If we could get the whole of the Kitchen Table voting in this poll that would be quite something.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think there are enough votes presently and Gazza has gotten the message for the last 3 Months.
    I am 99.9% sure they will be bye bye.

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    I think there are enough votes presently and Gazza has gotten the message for the last 3 Months.
    I am 99.9% sure they will be bye bye.
    Whyever do you think that? Can you point to any remark from Gazza in the forums or in a personal message to you that supports your belief?

On a site with a million auctions and 100,000 users, 100 votes is a drop in the bucket, isn't it? Hardly a head turner.

Now with most changes I think all of us with IT experience would agree that even quite simple changes need a lot of care, testing on staging servers, unit test frameworks, peer review, etc. So on a large site the pace of change can frustrate users.

But removing the flashing 'r's, correct me if I'm wrong, is NOT such a change. I've not checked whether it's implemented by using the odious 'blink' tag or by gif animation, but either way turning it off is about the most simple non-invasive change imaginable. If web sites were hospitals it's as if every other change we beg for is major heart surgery, while removing the blinking 'r's is popping down to the GP and having a wart removed.

(I'm not a GP and I've never had a wart removed, so this analogy may be a little flawed, but you can see where I'm headed with it).

We need to find a way to get (a lot) more votes.

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have to agree with Johnwash1....the forums are full of members who look but do not vote for what might be a good move ( or not )...we ( please note I said WE ) seem more intent on being nice to each other and about a hundreds of other things that have nothing to do with the site....and this is not always a bad thing....but there is no use complaning about something and then just sitting back .....so ... please ... if you want to get rid of the flashing r's....vote.....Papa.

Quote Originally Posted by papagran40 View Post
    ...but there is no use complaning about something and then just sitting back .....so ... please ... if you want to get rid of the flashing r's....vote.....Papa.
    But after we've voted we can't vote again. So we have to rope in other folk.

I've tried in the kitchen table, http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=120037 but with only 1 followup it doesn't seem to be getting much attention (though I liked Kev's image!).

How do we get more?

Quote Originally Posted by papagran40 View Post

... do you have a bird like this ???...would you give / sell it to me please..
    ? Is this close enough:
    Last edited by johnwash1; 7th February 2009 at 05:26 PM.

It's an animated .gif . I've voted, but I don't see them anymore, Firefox has blanked them all for me.

That's real nice for you Hazel....but it's what our customers see we need to be worried about.....

Let's get some more votes!

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowseeker View Post
    That's real nice for you Hazel....but it's what our customers see we need to be worried about.....

Let's get some more votes!
    I absolutely agree. Most of our customers are using IE, I expect. Last September I spent a Saturday standing in a shopping centre with several others, promoting the use of open source. It was a real eye-opener. Numerous people can't even tell you what browser they use (it came with the PC). Accept a free CD with legal free alternative software to try, such as Firefox and Open Office? Whoa, stop scaring the horses!

There's a huge resistance to change out there. Even if you demonstrate the advantages, few people are willing to try.

Thread Information