Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Do you want to keep or lose the flashing r's ?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lose the flashing r's

120 88.24%
  • Keep the flashing r's

16 11.76%
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll to keep or lose the flashing r's

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

my mother used to say ' that fella, always uses 100 words where one would do'...now why did that pop into my head????

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tpypr View Post
    I agree with you when you say "we just say what we want to see[I think you meant say], knowing that admin are taking it on board".
    I think Jude wrote it and meant it just as its written..."we just say what we want to see (on eBID), knowing that admin are taking it on board".

All-About tpypr
    View tpypr's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    I think breaking your large chunks of text into paragraphs would be an aid to comprehension.
    Thank you, Ken. Point well-taken. I shall endeavor.

Well, I tried to turn an iceburg into a tray of ice cubes. Hopefully, this will cut down on (some, anyway) confusion and miscomprehension.
    Last edited by tpypr; 30th November 2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Advice Notification

All-About tpypr
    View tpypr's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stitchysyl View Post
    I think Jude wrote it and meant it just as its written..."we just say what we want to see (on eBID), knowing that admin are taking it on board".
    my mother used to say ' that fella, always uses 100 words where one would do'...now why did that pop into my head????
    Ah, yes. Individual interpretation can bring both wonderment and bewilderment. In this case, both interpretations were headed the same direction, but on different streets.

And I quite agree with your mother's sentiments. I try to replace word groupings with single words as much as possible, but sometimes a complex idea takes more verbalization to properly be communicated. I have revisited what I have written but cannot find anything to remove that would not affect points I was making. If you think this is bad, then you obviously have never read A Tale of Two Cities or War and Peace.

'that fella'? -- Is it possible that, at some point, your mother might have passed through Red Bluff, CA.?

I'm sorry, but responses to two people in a row, and I haven't even hit 2,000 characters yet! Excuse me, but I think I need to go lay down now for a bit. I fear I might be coming down with a serious case of the insufferable brevities!
    Last edited by tpypr; 30th November 2008 at 03:29 AM. Reason: I thought of something else to say.

tpypr - Actually - I write for money!

So I tend to trust my insticts and 'write on the run'! LOL

Incidentally - this forum is about the slowest one I use - so although I may have the time on here to 'analyse or reconstruct' I don't do it, as folks generally understand me anyway.

I have read War & Peace ( excruciatingly boring) and the whole of Dickens' repertoire ( very stimulating) as have the majority of my generation - I don't think it had the effect of making me more loquacious though!

Good luck with your forays into the English language!!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

"we just say what we want to see[I think you meant say],

No - I meant to say exactly what I wrote - we want to SEE the changes we requested.
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Quote Originally Posted by tpypr View Post
    .... I fear I might be coming down with a serious case of the insufferable brevities!
    Trust us. We'll risk the contagion!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

tpypr: at last a clear and concise message that can be understood easilly. Well done!!

Any chance of introducing a few paragraphs into your longer messages please? It would make them much easier to read. Thanks.

Sometimes less is more!
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    I sort of agree with you, gothicina, except that we have had no indication from the management that this has been taken on board. The arguments are overwhelming for removing flashing anything from the site but we are being treated like mushrooms again.
    I agree with you Madelaine. Various people point out that changes to a site are more complex than most lay folk suppose. This is true, but neglects the fact that changes do not all involve the same amount of effort and testing. Some things that seem simple to users can actually require weeks of effort. Some very definitely don't.

In particular, although I've not been anal enough to look whether the flashing r's involve a 'blink' tag or are animated gif's, either way they are, by any experienced programmer's reckoning, about a 5 minute job to fix. An hour if you're an extreme pessimist (though I'd be looking to fire someone who took that long).

So the conclusion is obvious: G&M like the flashing r's. They'll still be there after the redesign.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

So the conclusion is obvious: G&M like the flashing r's. They'll still be there after the redesign.
    And since we really don't have any word from them.....if the original OP of this thread would contact support and ask them though we might..... this is another reason to keep this thread front and center....alive. We need to get rid of them ASAP and the more people saying that the better so keep on voting people!

Thread Information