Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Do you want to keep or lose the flashing r's ?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lose the flashing r's

120 88.24%
  • Keep the flashing r's

16 11.76%
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll to keep or lose the flashing r's

All-About tpypr
    View tpypr's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello Gothicina. The following is a quote from Gazza that you included in your response:
    (A)
    As some of you will know we have a long list of objectives that we try to keep up with and that list has been growing whilst we worked on the new software but don't worry we are already back on the case and are currently working on :
    1) Most importantly we have commenced work on a complete new redesign. Our intention is to become one of the top shopping destinations in the world and this requires a layout that is as close to perfection as possible.

And this is your input concerning the meaning of that quote:
    (B)
    "Once they have the rebuilt site up & running, they have already said they will then get back on top of the changes requested.
    As they've put layout as part of the no 1 priority that should cover both the R's & bid visibility issues."

This is what you had to say about MY response:
    (C)
    Tpypr, this is not America, this is NOT American Politics, or British Politics come to that.
    When Gazza & Mark say they are going to do something, they usually do, .... eventually.
    Not always as quickly as we'd like, I agree, but they do do it.

Now, this is the first part of my response:
    (D)
    I'm sorry folks, but I just finished listening to four years of this. By replacing 'shopping destinations' with 'nations' and 'layout' with 'federal program', we have the equivalent of yet one more of those innumerable, generic presidential candidate speeches we here in the USA have become (in)famous for.

And this was my conclusion:
    (E)
    In light of this recent revelation from the mountaintop, I believe we should practice watchful patience, meaning that this, along with Rainbowseeker's thread concerning visualizing the bid element, should be kept in active status (bump bump bump) as reminders to any and all that we strongly believe these suggestions to be prominent in importance concerning the growth potential of Ebid.

Please note that (A) does not mention any specific details, (B) is an assumption on your part (albeit 'tis one most of us in all likelihood relate dearly to), and (C) is the reason for (D) and (E).

I feel I need to apologize to whomsoever because, when my writing is that misunderstood, it is obvious to me that I failed miserably in getting my point across. Politics per se has nothing to do with the point I was trying to get across. Rather, I was referring to a time-honored (AND worldwide) political ploy used in campaigning, namely making a broad, sweeping, generalized statement of intent while offering nothing concrete in nature in the form of specific information in said statement. What (D) boils down to and the point I am trying to make is that we have before us a very generalized statement. I suppose one might argue that, in the whole, it might be an outline of sorts, but the fact remains that it is lacking in specifics of any nature. This is what I alluded to concerning generic presidential candidate speeches. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Gazza told us. The problem arises, though, when we begin reading things into what was said. Before you start reading up on proper etiquette for a tar-and-feather party, Gothicina, be assured that this is not a personal attack on you, for we are all guilty more times than we would care to admit of hoping that the author had thus in mind when he said that. . . . Vagueness can be both positive and negative. For a presidential candidate, being vague means that when people make an assumption based on what (they thought) you said, you have been victorious because you can vaguely intimate promises without really giving promises. Not a good thing. On the other hand, if M&G are not sure exactly where this plane is going to land, they might not be willing to make promises now they can't keep later. Hence, a very general statement.
    Not meaning to overdo the 'light' thing but, in light of this, (E) should be self-explanatory (SHUDDER - but is it?!!?) Since (a) we do not know for sure what M&G have in mind and (b) they apparently don't feel ready to share their fleshed-out plans with us, then (c) logic dictates that we express our concerns so that they know what our concerns ARE. And think of these ongoing threads as little sticky-notes, constructive reminders of things-believed-important, both wished-for and dreamt-of, from people who have a vested interest in having M&G succeed in this endeavor. I don't want to be in the position of requesting an important change after they have finished the new website and have them ask me why I didn't say something or remind them while they were in the midst of working on it, when it would have been easy to incorporate into the structure. These men have much on their minds and (I hope, anyway) appreciate us giving them an 'oh, by the way' to nudge their memory at times. At no time have I ever accused either of acting in a deceitful manner, as was intimated by you. I hope this clears up the matter and any misunderstandings between us have been alleviated. This is not about politics, nor is it about nations. It is bigger than that. It is about a worldwide group of individuals coming together, learning to trust (and even like) each other, and every one of them focused intently and intensely upon the one common goal of all; namely, to make Ebid the best.
    I'm hoping that I can now rest my case, but am too cautious as of yet to rest on my laurels, but am exhausted enough after all this to wish I could rest in peace !!! (No, I'm not going to do a poll on that last one)

I'm not going to quote & go through all that lot, & I'm certainly not up for tarring & feathering anyone either, way way too messy.

I was merely trying to point out to those who haven't been here as long, & therefore maybe less able to judge them on their record, that the Guys do keep their word, so Gazza's post wasn't just political spin to shut up the natives, but was as much of the future they envisage for ebid as they are able/willing to share with us at the moment. Their competitors do read these forums as well.

When we were waiting for the last redesign, I asked on these forums, if functionality was tied into design, Gazza replied they were separate issues. I would imagine, considering that a seller can already see bids from their My eBid pages, that viewing bids & flashing R's come under the umbrella of design/layout not function.

As for reminding them of changes we would like/see as important,
    these threads have made that pretty clear, but those who expect them to make the changes NOW before they have sorted the site rebuild, are in IMHO going to be disappointed.

Constantly bumping them for bumpings sake, as opposed to having anything new to add MAY have the reverse effect ie "Familiarity breeds contempt" in that the guys become so used to seeing these threads bumped to the top that they no longer take any notice of them.

Maybe a new thread with a wishlist of what people would like from the redesign would be a better way to go, no reason why there couldn't be links to these threads in it.
    I started one at the beginning of 2008, I guess I should check at some point how many of the improvements we got not all I know, but at least some of them.
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=99307
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Yes...but we do a wish list again and this simply gets buried by all the self-serving ideas every tom, dick and harry can dream up. Eveyone has some little sticky thing that they want personally which most could live without, but which would make their world oh so much easier to live in. I'm not and this thread is not about that....it's about what our buyers are seeing. That makes it different from what gizmo I want next.

And...as I stated before....when new comers to the site arrive and realize that there is something important they feel is missing from the site....like visible bids and/or are confused by the flashing red rs, then the thread being kept alive will work to assure them that others on this site see this as important too. And that very possibly because there are this many people interested in the change happening then it will eventually happen. And perhaps they will stick around instead of just leaving.

As for familarity breeds contempt......makes no sense for Mark and Gazza to ignore this....we aren't talking about politics or personalities...we are talking about business and what is needed for buyers here to be comfortable. What will add greatly to the future success of this eBid site. If that doesn't make it important....then I don't know what will.

I am not willing to play the "what's important to me" game again. I'd sooner play "what's important to all of us" and let the thread speak to the issue of everyone's concern. That's my reasoning....... Please don't take it personal. And if no one agrees then I guess this thread will die, but as it stands yet it wouldn't hurt if it had a few more votes.
    Last edited by rainbowseeker; 27th November 2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: grammer error

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowseeker View Post
    Yes...but we do a wish list again and this simply gets buried by all the self-serving ideas every tom, dick and harry can dream up. Eveyone has some little sticky thing that they want personally which most could live without, but which would make their world oh so much easier to live in. I'm not and this thread is not about that....it's about what our buyers are seeing. That makes it different from what gizmo I want next.

And...as I stated before....when new comers to the site arrive and realize that there is something important they feel is missing from the site....like visible bids and/or are confused by the flashing red rs, then the thread being kept alive will work to assure them that others on this site see this as important too. And that very possibly because there are this many people interested in the change happening then it will eventually happen. And perhaps they will stick around instead of just leaving.

As for familarity breeds contempt......makes no sense for Mark and Gazza to ignore this....we aren't talking about politics or personalities...we are talking about business and what is needed for buyers here to be comfortable. What will add greatly to the future success of this eBid site. If that doesn't make it important....then I don't know what will.

I am not willing to play the "what's important to me" game again. I'd sooner play "what's important to all of us" and let the thread speak to the issue of everyone's concern. That's my reasoning....... Please don't take it personal. And if no one agrees then I guess this thread will die, but as it stands yet it wouldn't hurt if it had a few more votes.
    I absolutely 100% agree with what you say RS and you are particularly correct about the benefit of this thread staying alive for newbies

tpypr - how long have you been here?

(in tthe sense of 'how long have you been an active member in order to know how the site works?')

We all have ideas for improvements - but we never post them as 1) flagging up inadequacies in a derogatory way, or 2) demanding immediate changes.

Unfortunately, for most of our friends from 'over the pond, 'yesterday is not soon enough' for anything they happen to think of!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

This is a pet peeve of mine....there is always someone saying "how long have you been here" and negating what you say based on that. Jude...you really don't mean to say all Americans are too impatient or that your opinion doesn't count if you haven't been here X number of months, days or years do you? At least sellers are coming in and voicing their opinions and any sellers should be welcome to do that no matter how misguided you might think they are or where they come from. There seems to be a balanced group here of both US and UK citizens requesting this change.....and since basically we have all been here since April asking for it how can anyone think this request is in anyway being expected to happen too quickly for management to comply????? You aren't meaning to be judgemental are you?

Tpypr basically says he is not wanting to be preceived as playing politics here and in a very lengthy fashion just states why he thinks the thread needs to stay alive for the time being as well. My reason is so newbies coming here will know this ISSUE is being addressed both my other sellers and has been acknowledged by the management. They then will see a reason to "hang out" with the rest of us impatiently or patienly waiting for the a) new makeover to this website and b) for bids to be visible and flashing r's to disappear. If that makes me an impatient american well so be it. I think you will find several of your countrymen and women just as impatient. IMHO
    Last edited by rainbowseeker; 28th November 2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: grammer error

yes of course we are just as impatient - but we don't usually let it develop into such verbosity - we just say what we want to see, knowing that admin are taking it on board ( as has already been stated several times)

Safe in that knowlege, we don't need to'explain', 'rationalise', 'analyse', 'argue the point', 'expand on the item', or generally jump up and down to let other people know what we want and that we've posted it!!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

All-About tpypr
    View tpypr's Listings
    Forum Posts

QUOTE=JudesNiceThings;858213]yes of course we are just as impatient - but we don't usually let it develop into such verbosity - we just say what we want to see, knowing that admin are taking it on board ( as has already been stated several times)

Safe in that knowlege, we don't need to'explain', 'rationalise', 'analyse', 'argue the point', 'expand on the item', or generally jump up and down to let other people know what we want and that we've posted it!![/QUOTE]

Greetings and felicitations to you Jude --
    It is nice to see you admit to being impatient. I have my faults, also. Obviously, you feel that my love of language is one.

I happen to enjoy exercising my English (well, we on this side of your pond call it English -- over there on the other side of your pond, where you are, you probably call it American) language by putting my thoughts on paper and on the screen. I put my thoughts down, read them, analyze them, see if I can restructure them in a more cognizant and coherent manner for the sake of others, usually trying to do so in a way that will not be injurious to the feelings of anyone who might accidently read said thoughts. Shall we get down to a definition of terms?

My personal feeling is that use of the word verbosity should be reserved as being the final assault upon an opponent when one can no longer come up with worthy responses. That being the case, do I have your permission to downgrade to 'verbiage'? That way, you can have your definition (a profusion of words usually of little or obscure content) and I can have mine (manner of expressing oneself in words). Both definitions come from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/verbiage for your edification.

I happen to enjoy expressing my own unique sense of humor in my writings because, between you and me, too many people who write in forums take themselves way too seriously, and I enjoy being a pressure relief valve of sorts. I want people to see my username and want to read what I have to say in hopes that they will read something that will lift their spirits so that they come away with a smile on their faces, while I have, in the meantime, had a chance to voice my humble opinion at the same time.

There is nothing verbose about what I write. How long does it take you to compose whatever you write, knowing that your thoughts will be 'out there' for literally thousands of strangers to read? Three minutes? Ten minutes? Do you just 'write-on-the-run'?

When I write a response, I am writing a composition. In said composition I do my best to counterbalance items of a serious nature (that means the point I'm trying to get across) with my own brand of humor. "Why?", you ask drily? After someone reads my post, I want them to leave with something positive. If they don't agree with whatever point I am making, then maybe they will at least leave with a smile.

In order to accomplish this mission, some of my replies have taken me three hours to compose. I don't know when I started this reply, but it was within minutes of my request for help in FAQ. Just for fun (and maybe to also underscore how seriously I take what I put down for others to read), why don't you do a little simple math and subtract the time I finished that other post from the time I finish this, then deduct five minutes for the time spent reading down through this thread to your say . . . and the amount left over represents how important I felt it was to defend both my integrity and the integrity of all others who should never be afraid or ashamed to voice their opinion, no matter the length of their membership . . .

Ah, membership. Let me say a little something about THAT. I venture to say that there are people who have been members from the inception of this site who have not a clue as to what is going on (or care to, for that matter), whereas there are people new (whatever that means, relatively-speaking) to this site who have a natural, God-given ability to seize upon the strengths and weaknesses of Ebid in fairly quick order. Okay, that's out of the way. Back to my tirade.

Where was I? Ah, yes . . . then deduct five minutes for the time spent reading down through this thread to your say, and the amount left over represents how important I felt it was to defend both my integrity and the integrity of all others who should never be afraid or ashamed to openly voice their opinion, no matter the length of their membership or residential history.

I agree with you when you say "we just say what we want to see[I think you meant say], knowing that admin are taking it on board". The question I would like to put to you, though, is what is left for us to use to express ourselves if "we don't need to 'explain', to 'rationalise', 'analyse', 'argue the point', 'expand on the item', or generally jump up and down to let other people know what we want and that we've posted it!!"

You have a good sense of humor too, Jude, and a vivid imagination. That's funny - me way over here in California, jumping up and down, like someone in London is going to feel the ground and then look around feverishly for an internet cafe so they can read the post that I'm stamping and stomping up and down about. I'll have to remember that. Do I have your permission to use it? ()

Hey, Jude (Say, that has a melodic ring to it!) - I just had a thought. If I'm lucky, maybe Reader's Digest will fall in love with my writings. If so, then maybe you can read their condensed version. Just a thought . . .
    Last edited by tpypr; 30th November 2008 at 03:03 AM.

I think breaking your large chunks of text into paragraphs would be an aid to comprehension.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Thread Information