Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: local independent vs. chain store

Default local independent vs. chain store

It's Yorkie's thread about the old man in the corner shop, that made me start this one.

I am quite regularly appalled at the very poor customer services of the large chain stores (food, chemists, stationers, clothing, diy - you can fill in the names of your own pet-hates yourselves).

Many of us use them for convenience and probably because we think they are cheaper then the small independents.

For years now, I've tried to support the local independent stores as much as possible. After you've been in the store only a couple of times, the shopkeeper remembers you, which is very pleasant in itself. A few weeks ago I made the stupid mistake to go into town without my purse. After completing the order and going to pay for it, an embarrassed me asked them to put the stuff to one side, while I'd go back home to get my purse. They wouldn't hear of it - I walked out with all I'd asked for without paying. They just told me to pay next time I came in.

But to my surprise, I've also found that some of them are actually cheaper (don't ask me how they do it), then some of their "giant" competitors.

I mentioned the hardware store in yorkie's thread - I've often bought goods in there that were cheaper then in the big diy stores.

My local deli sells quite a few cheeses cheaper than the big supermarkets.

The fishmonger sells frozen king prawns at almost half the price of the supermarket.

And now I've discovered a local small printer's that sells the ink cartridges for my printer at £1 cheaper then I can find them anywhere else ( up to £5 cheaper compared to some stores).

If you have the time to wander round town, rather then doing all your shopping in one place, please support your independent stores.

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Morning Marianne , I have to agree with your findings , we have a small ironmongers shop in town who have lots of other stuff and they are cheaper on many items than the big boys , and as you say , they are better with the customer care . I know if we want anything , we look there first . so like you I would say give the small shop a good look and try them.....papa.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I find that local Hardware/ironmongers just have what you want instead of what they want to sell you. If they don't have it, they will often get it. Also one of ours has saved me calling out a plumber by telling me exactly how to fit the spare part I've just asked for!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    I find that local Hardware/ironmongers just have what you want instead of what they want to sell you. If they don't have it, they will often get it. Also one of ours has saved me calling out a plumber by telling me exactly how to fit the spare part I've just asked for!
    When we lived near an ironmongers I dropped by to buy a wrench as one of my radiators was leaking.

When I told him what I wanted the wrench for he lent me his own one and told me how to fix the radiator leak

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

I always use local whenever I can. I now have my van serviced locally rather than at a main dealer. I needed a problem fixing and my local garage repaired the relevant unit for £70; my usual 'port of call' - the main dealer 45 minutes away, wanted £250 for a replacement unit (they wouldn't repair/ are not allowed to repair).

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    When we lived near an ironmongers I dropped by to buy a wrench as one of my radiators was leaking.

When I told him what I wanted the wrench for he lent me his own one and told me how to fix the radiator leak
    Now that is what I call service!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Agree, big chain stores often offer less service. In US we have infamous W-M. They build in small towns, selling everything cheaper. After small businesses close, they up the prices, and are not above closing and moving if revenue is not high enough.

Everyone is so busy today, hard to resist going to place that sells groceries, electronics, housewares, stationery, crafts, auto (with garage for fixing cars), coffee shop, clothing for family, luggage, fine jewelry, have a pharmacy, sell goldfish/dog food, garden plants, etc etc, etc.

You need a gold card to shop in our local store.

Reincarnation is just another repeat

I like to shop locally where I can but there are times when the items I want are not sold locally (mind you even the "big" shops dont sell the items) and I have no option but to use the net for things that use to be sold in shops

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

So far today I've bought fresh bread from my village bakery, and milk & yoghurt from the newsagent/corner* shop. In a wee while I'll pop to the greengrocer's for some veg. I don't need much else as I bought some bargain pasties in my local Presto Pasty in yesterday's end-of-day BOGOF sale. This week I've also bought stationery from the post office (as well as posting stuff, of course), beads from the bead shop, and have also been in the hardware shop, jewellery/gift shop and sweetie shop all to say hi to the owners and have a chat. My last visit to (or order from) a supermarket, however, was some time in January. All perfectly normal. Viva la local shop!

*It's not on a corner, but old habits die hard!

Thread Information