eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Speed Problems

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Earlier this summer I was encouraged to give FireFox a try when there was a problem with eBid and IE absolutely refused to load the site. Since then no speed issues forum side, and auction side has been significantly better.

Running a heavily overworked Win2K & XP LAN behind a Genuine Win2K server with ISA Firewall and Proxy, Exchange Server etc. on a severely temperamental 512K/256K tin-cans-and-string ADSL connection that is subject to getting snapped by roaming elephants raiding the pineapple patch, or by South China Sea fishermen dragging their anchors and snapping the undersea portion.

Oh - and if anyone spots Mr Shinawatra roaming around Manchester or London, can you ask him to pay the electric bill for his satellite "Shin1" coz the signal's getting jammed up in Singapore and the Internet keeps stopping during the evenings, but I don't think that's eBid's fault ... yet?

Thanks
    Gaz

Default Is it me or is the site running slow on items

I can get to the persons shop or listings, but when I click on the item it takes ages to load.
    Is anyone else getting this problem?

i was getting mega slows on the site last night, but it seems to have corrected itself now and running faster..

I haven't had any problems with speed on eBid. FireFox is marginally faster, but I can't put an icon on my desktop with Firefox, so I usually use the IE icon (yeah, I'm lazy). The difference isn't enough to really matter. Sometimes I get eBid up on both browsers so I can check things without losing my place, and that doesn't affect the speed either.

I have a cable modem connection, supposedly not as fast as DSL, but not bad. I also have LOTS of free disc space. Whenever I notice my system slowing down, I empty my cache, I think that's usually the biggest factor in speed issues (at least on my computer).

Cool Slow in Wales

Hi gazza, I live between Lampeter and Aberaeron in west wales, and it takes about 20 seconds to 'turn' each page and i can only get about 4 items on per hour as the pictures are so solow to load. I'm with tiscali.
    thanks!

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

You shouldnt be able to see any pages at the moment, can you let us know which URL you are viewing.

Thanks
    Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Hello!

Just curious, what hw/sw platform are you using? Is it a single
    box? Or more than one system? How good is the link (or links)?
    Is it generic x86 hw, or something more meaty like a proper
    server or servers? (SUN/SGI/HP/etc.)

I've been advising industry, academia, etc. for years on some
    of these issues, so am happy to help if you've any questions.
    Oh, I don't expect you to post details to my questions here,
    if you choose to reply at all, but feel fee to PM or email. Places
    I've helped with advice in the past include: ILM, Dreamworks,
    Western University of Alaska, Hyundai, tons of others, and
    hundreds of small business and individuals/hobbyists. ILM
    uses my tech site for staff training, or at least it used to when
    they had lots of SGIs.

Cheers!

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I haven't had any problems with speed on eBid. FireFox is marginally faster, but I can't put an icon on my desktop with Firefox, so I usually use the IE icon (yeah, I'm lazy). The difference isn't enough to really matter. Sometimes I get eBid up on both browsers so I can check things without losing my place, and that doesn't affect the speed either.

I have a cable modem connection, supposedly not as fast as DSL, but not bad. I also have LOTS of free disc space. Whenever I notice my system slowing down, I empty my cache, I think that's usually the biggest factor in speed issues (at least on my computer).
    To create desktop icon for firefox, go to Start->All Programs->Mozilla Firefox->Mozilla Firefox and RIGHT CLICK the target, and Create Shortcut (that is, if your right click context menu isn't messed up somehow LOL)
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Booksbygones View Post
    I can get to the persons shop or listings, but when I click on the item it takes ages to load.
    Is anyone else getting this problem?
    Ive seen that happen a couple of times on auctions here (and at FeeBay, and at CNN.COM and dozens of other places...).. Often what happens is a remote element in the page (Usually, JavaScript, such as the Google Adsense ads) is causing the page to "hang" - Your browser is waiting to load all applicable JavaScript , Flash, etc, elements before it renders the page.... and it will keep waiting until the request times out or gets delivered..

If you notice that , hit the stop button and see how much of the page loads.. chances are the missing element might be obvious... sometimes, stopping the load, and then refreshing will solve the issue..
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Forum Newbie
    East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    View greywolf18's Feedback (+49)
    All-About greywolf18
    View greywolf18's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi there!

For me, the site delays when it is calling for the ad. (Someone mentioned it on the first page of this thread, I think). It is taking a long time to retrieve the advertisement from its host site, and that is causing the eBid page to hang up.

The only other time I have a MAJOR delay, is with the feedback page. When I click my little number to view my feedback, I actually go get a cup of coffee because it takes so long to come up. Only the feedback pages though. Everything else has been pretty quick!

eBid is so great, I don't mind the wait! Thanks guys!

Thread Information