eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Postage costs for books

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Postage costs for books

Feebay has just announced upper limits for postage costs for books going to and selling in the USA, and it looks like the UK is next. From what I'm hearing, there are a lot of booksellers that will close up there. So if you know anyone selling that hasn't tried eBid yet, you might want to invite them over now!

Quote Originally Posted by klj View Post
    Feebay has just announced upper limits for postage costs for books going to and selling in the USA, and it looks like the UK is next. From what I'm hearing, there are a lot of booksellers that will close up there. So if you know anyone selling that hasn't tried eBid yet, you might want to invite them over now!
    Yeah, those limits are pretty low, not as dramatic for the U.S. sellers with their cheaper shipping, but beyond ridiculous for international sellers shipping into the U.S. There is next to nothing I can ship into the US for $4 - oversize lettermail, that's about it. If they impose limits into the UK, the North American sellers will have to stop shipping overseas.

It does bode well for ebid attracting more media sellers.

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

Same here in the UK Riverwood. The heavier the package the more it costs. Seems stupid to me with books as they don't break, rarely cost the post office on insurance collections and can stand being tossed about a bit if they are boxed. Wish we had International M Bags. Last time I shipped via M Bag from the states it was $1.00 a pound for carriage to the UK.

Forum Saint
    View penny291's Feedback (+1190)
    All-About penny291
    View penny291's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have quite a few heavy books and the buyers must be put off by the postage costs, have tried putting one price to include postage, I'll see if that gets any more interest, so saying I don't do too bad selling books and hopefully with the new influx it'll get better

Yes, postage puts a lot of people off, depending on the book. I've found just about everything "Reader's Digest" to be a complete no hoper, apart from the recipe books, which do sell, albeit slowly. I don't bother listing any of the non cookery books I get through, they get the covers ripped off and the book block put into the local paperbank.

If you've got a book that valuable, why don't you list it on Amazon as well?

Same here in the UK Riverwood. The heavier the package the more it costs. Seems stupid to me with books as they don't break, rarely cost the post office on insurance collections and can stand being tossed about a bit if they are boxed. Wish we had International M Bags. Last time I shipped via M Bag from the states it was $1.00 a pound for carriage to the UK.
    Yeah, M Bags or something along those lines would be great. For me to send a parcel weighing several pounds from Canada to the U.K. it's so expensive, even surface mail is getting up there in price. There should be cheaper methods for books and media for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by quadilicious View Post
    The problem i,m having with the boks i have listed here is the postage cost

i check amazon first and do my best to be cheaper.

one book i have is selling for £97 on amazon

i have had it listed for 2 months for 99p start

its the postage ( at cost ) thats got to be putting people off
    As Hazel mentioned, I don't know why you wouldn't just list this book on am*zon at the appropriate price, rather than taking the chance of losing so much on it at 99p. There's nothing wrong with a little diversification.

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Holy cow, what did I miss? I haven't heard anything about it! Could you send me a link to the article on that? I'd sure appreciate it!

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iwiw60 View Post
    Holy cow, what did I miss? I haven't heard anything about it! Could you send me a link to the article on that? I'd sure appreciate it!
    She can't - it would be a link to an e-commerce site, and a direct competitor, so it's not allowed. If you got to feebay's announcements on dot com (via "community" if you're not familiar with it) you should find it easily enough.

Thumbs down

It's true, there's now an upper limit on postage in the U.S. for all "media". Books, magazines, CDs, LPs, DVDs, Cassette tapes, etc. etc. etc. There was a thread in the forums from a seller who asked GreedBay support what to do when the postage was more than the limit. Their answer was to raise the selling price to cover it.

We pulled all media from our store there first, then went on to everything else.

Thread Information