Thread: What A Mighty God we Serve!

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: What A Mighty God we Serve!

PRAYER REQUESTS/ UPDATES/ PRAISE REPORTS

A PRAISE

Praise God for giving us his greatest gift, Jesus Christ!

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16 NIV)

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. (John 13:34-35 NIV)

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. (John 15:12-14 NIV)

This is my command: Love each other. (John 15:17)

2019 PRAYERS

Burgyeb - (1/4/2019) Praying for those impacted by the events of 2018, and that they will be comforted & restored throughout 2019. (see post #1704)

2019 PRAISE REPORTS

2019 UPDATES

FOR EARLIER UPDATE HISTORY SEE POST #760 & POST #982 (LAST 2010 LIST UPDATE)
    SEE POST # 1039 FOR THREAD 2010 SUMMARY REPORT & POST #1043 FOR 1st PRAYER LIST 2011
    POST# 1281 FOR LAST PRAYER LIST FOR 2011 & POST# 1288 FOR 2011 SUMMARY REPORT
    SEE POST # 1447 FOR LAST PRAYER LIST FOR 2012 & POST # 1486 FOR 2012 SUMMARY REPORT
    SEE POST # 1504 FOR LAST PRAYER LIST FOR 2013
    SEE POST # 1541 FOR LAST PRAYER LIST FOR 2014
    SEE POST # 1546 FOR LAST PRAYER LIST FOR 2015/16
    SEE POSTS #1591 & #1621 FOR LAST PRAYER LISTS FOR 2017 & POST #1623 FOR 2017 SUMMARY REPORT
    SEE POST #1691 FOR LAST PRAYER LIST FOR 2O18 & POST #1704 FOR 2O18 SUMMARY REPORT

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Building Relationship With God

Can anyone really expect to build a relationship with God Almighty, the all powerful one, the onipotent one, the omnipresent one? Yes.

There are some similarities in building a relationship with God, and building a relationship with other people. There are also notable differences in the processes.

Let's start with the differences. The Word of the Lord provides clear guidance on establishing and maintaining a strong relationship with God. This can be seen throughout the Foundational(Old) and New Testaments.

"...showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments." (Exodus 20:6 NIV)

Love in this context is seen as total allegiance and unwavering trust in God. The relationship also demands obedience "keep my commandments".

This love relationship was actually a "covenant of love" (Deut. 7:9 NIV) God describes himself as "a jealous God". (Exodus 20:5) Usually, the reference of God's jealousy referred to his covenant relationship with Israel (analogous to a marital relationship). God will not share his loved one (idolatry); he will not put up with unfaithfulness.

Jealousy is often used within the context of a marital or intimate relationship. The Greek term for this type of love is eros. Storge (family loyalty) is another level of love experienced in marital, and long term relationships.

Friendship is another relationship level that one can achieve with God. "The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend." (Exodus 33:11 NIV) Note: Moses spoke with God directly but did not actually see his face. See the exchange that occurred between Moses and the LORD, when Moses was allowed to see the glory of God, but not his face. (Exodus 33:12-23)

One might protest and say that occurred in the Old Testament; but we are in the New Testament, and no longer under the law. Yes, that is so, but Jesus came to fulfill the law.

We will consider the positions of Jesus in relationship to the law, love, trust, obedience, and friendship in an upcoming post.

View ropegg's Feedback (+424)
    All-About ropegg
    View ropegg's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by youmeus View Post
    It sounds like this is a praise thread and I would like to add my Praise The Lord!
    This was posted 10 years ago and I am happy to see it is still being used. I can praise God for allowing me to have built a wonderful relationship with Him so I know it can be done and it is one I never want to lose.
    Last edited by ropegg; 8th January 2019 at 04:14 AM.
    My stores:
    Ropegg
    Cups-Cups-Cups
    And Other Stuff
    Peggy A's Jewels

God Bless and have a great day!!!!

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree.

I consider my relationship with God very precious. Have always appreciated how He meets us where we are, and changes us based on His unique plan for our lives.

P.S. I think this thread has been going for 10 years; that is still a long time.

View ropegg's Feedback (+424)
    All-About ropegg
    View ropegg's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    I agree.

I consider my relationship with God very precious. Have always appreciated how He meets us where we are, and changes us based on His unique plan for our lives.

P.S. I think this thread has been going for 10 years; that is still a long time.

Thanks Burgyeb I have corrected the number of years. Be blessed as you bless others.
    My stores:
    Ropegg
    Cups-Cups-Cups
    And Other Stuff
    Peggy A's Jewels

God Bless and have a great day!!!!

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ropegg View Post
    Thanks Burgyeb I have corrected the number of years. Be blessed as you bless others.
    Thank you Ropegg. Have a blessed day!

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Jesus and the Law

Jesus said to his disciples, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms." (Luke 24:44 NIV) Jesus is speaking of the whole Old Testament. The terms the Law and the Hebrew Scriptures is also used to refer to the whole Old Testament. The Law of Moses usually is referring to the Torah (first five books of the Old Testament). This comment was made after Jesus was resurrected.

Jesus made his purpose of coming clear. Jesus said, I did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I came to fulfill.(Matthew 5:17) Jesus said that the Hebrew Scriptures testified about him (John 5:39) and that Moses wrote about him. (John 5:45-47)

Jesus cherished, loved, obeyed, and acknowledged the authority of the Law. He regularly used Scriptures to answer those who questioned or tested him. (See Luke 10:25-26; Matthew 22:34-40) Jesus quoted Scripture when tempted, to defeat the evil one. (Matthew 4:4,6-7,10)

The Scriptures prophecy about the birth (Micah 5:2; Isaiah 9:6-7), life(John 5:39) and death of Jesus (Isaiah 53). Jesus lived and died under the Law. (Galatians 4:4-5)

Jesus kept the law and lived a sinless life. (John 8:46; 1 Peter 2:22) Jesus taught others to obey the Law (Matthew 23:2-3) He often referred others back to the Scriptures when teaching.

"Christ is the end of the law for everyone who believes." (Romans 10:4) When Jesus died on the cross he put an end to the Old Testament Law.

"...Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, by becoming a curse for us, for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.' He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus..." (Galatians 3:6-14)

Jesus ushered in a new covenant (covenant of pure grace), new laws (law of liberty), and a new priesthood. Jesus gave a new commandment: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind...and love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments. (Matthew 22:34-40)

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Jesus and the Law: Love Trust Obedience Friendship

Jesus made it very clear that he did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill the law (Law of Moses). Then are Christians under the Law of Moses? No they are not.

The Law was given to the Israelites, the Law was not given to gentiles or Christians. The Law is spoken of in the Torah in terms of covenant relationship with God.

"Love and obey the LORD your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his laws and his commands always." (Deut. 11:1 NIV)

"It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him." (Deut. 13:4 NIV)

Look at how similar these verses of Scripture are to what Jesus said:

If you love me, you will obey what I command. (John 14:15)

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." (John 14:1)

"...You are my friends if you do what I command." (John 15:14)

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love." (John 15:9-10)

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." (John 15:12)

"This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome." (1John 5:3)

Jesus fulfilled the Law in all he said and did. He fulfilled the Mosaic Law regarding himself. (See Luke 24:44; Galatians 3:10-14)

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Jesus and the Law: Purpose of the Law

If Jesus did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill the law (Law of Moses), then what is the purpose of the Law?

The purpose of the Old Testament Law is to convict people of their inability to keep the Law and to point them to their need for Jesus Christ. (Romans 7:7-9; Galatians 3:23-25)

The Prophet Jeremiah prophesied about God's unconditional promise of a new covenant of pure grace with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. No longer will a man teach.. 'know the LORD' Because they will all know me. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sin no more." (Jeremiah 31:31-34) The new covenant fulfills the old covenant and achieves its purpose. (Matthew 5:17)

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Jesus "The Fulfillment of the Law"

As Jesus was delivering "The Sermon on the Mount", aka "The Beatitudes" (Matthew 5:1--7:29), he stated that he was the fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets. (Matthew 5:17) This sermon was in essence Jesus' inaugural address to those of his kingdom.

Jesus stated, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."
    (Matthew 5:17 NIV)

Jesus explained further that he is not against following all the requirements of the Law, but that he is against the hypocrisy of legalism practiced by the Pharisees. Their legalism was a sham of outwardly following the Law, but inwardly breaking the Law. They did this to appear righteous before others, and to attempt to gain merit with God by their works. (see Matthew 5:18-20)

Jesus fulfilled the Law and the Prophets by expressing their full meaning, through his birth, death on the cross, and his resurrection.

Jesus appeared to his disciples after his resurrection. "He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms." (Luke 24:44 NIV)

"Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures....." (Luke 24:45-47)

Jesus is the fulfillment of the Law.

Thread Information