Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: What A Mighty God we Serve!

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: What A Mighty God we Serve!

PTL! I am on day nine of my studies of the Book of Job, and I'm reading 3 chapters per day. What a fascinating book that looks at the human condition of suffering. The structure of the book is also fascinating. The introduction and setting of the scene occurs in chapters 1 - 2. The imbittered discourse between Job and his 3 "friends" goes on from chapters 3 - 31. I was totally amazed that God said absolutely nothing, while Job defended his innocence and integrity, and his 3 "friends" attacked him and called him a sinner deserving of his condition.

A young man (Elihu) stepped into the debates from chapters 32 - 37 criticizing Job's 3 "friends" for condemning Job without facts and for providing Job no answer for his suffering. This young man also criticized Job for "justifying himself rather than God". Elihu seemed to make an honest attempt to vindicate Job, and he also worshipped & praised God in sincerity & integrity.

Following the praise & worship of Elihu, God broke in from chapters 38 - 42 upbraiding and challenging Job for questioning His wisdom, and His justice (chapters 38 -- 42:1-7).

God spoke to Job's 3 "friends" after Job repented in chapter 42:7-9, stating He was angry with them and that Job would need to pray for them. After Job prayed for his 3 "friends God blessed him and restored to him more than he had lost.

The Book of Job is a fascinating lesson from God's Word on the human condition, suffering, the need to forgive others, the need to pray for one's enemies, and the power of God to restore our shattered hopes, expectations, and lives.

Highly recommended study! PTL!

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

And if Job made it through all of his trials we should be ashamed of the trivial things we complain about. Job is a good study, I have started reading the Bible through (again) and am just starting Numbers.

My computer has been in the shop and just got it going again so will try to check in more often. At least until it drys up and I can get outside to garden. We got about 3 1/2" of rain this AM and we were already toooooooooo wet!

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I love the Book of Numbers; particularly where the donkey speaks to Balaam for hitting him. Glad to hear your computer is ok now!

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi All! Hope everyone is doing fine! Finished my study of Job, and now in the Book of Psalms!

Have been reading and enjoying the Book of Psalms, but never looked at it from the perspective that it is considered 5 books or divisions. I am currently studying Book I of Psalms (Chapters 1-41). These are all Psalms of David. They mirror so closely the experiences of Job. The response to suffering by Job & David had many similarities but also stark differences.

Both Job & David cried out to the LORD in their suffering and anguish. Both questioned God, asking Him if He had forgotten them, if He could see the predicament they were facing. Both expressed being totally alone and forsaken. David's pattern of response typically was praise and glorification of the LORD in the midst of his suffering. Job's pattern of response included bitter complaint of his predicament and a demand for vindication. David also cried out to God for vindication, proclaiming causeless attack from his enemies. His pattern of response tended to see the LORD as his only hope and solution.

Not really easy to look at Job & David in light of the issue of suffering. Also the bottom line is that in the end the LORD blessed Job with much more than he lost. God never did answer Job's direct demands for vindication, but upbraided him for contending with the Almighty. I tread carefully here any way, as I would never want to make the same mistake as Job's 3 "friends". The LORD addressed Job in the end as His righteous servant, as He did from the beginning. Job's 3 "friends" had to go through Job to receive forgiveness from the LORD.

Note: Biblical study from King James Version, NIV Study Bible, and New Living Translation

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

PRAYER REQUESTS/ UPDATES/ PRAISE REPORTS

Youmeus - (1/1) Praying the New Year will be God focused - (1/13) Linda reports focusing on God's grace in her devotions & sharing about it with others

Burgyeb -(1/1) Praying the New Year will be God focused -(1/14) Ava reports focusing on God's Word in her daily devotions & striving to live it.

Luvintage- (1/2) Needs strength to act in wisdom for challenges being faced in her life

Charlene, neighbor of Youmeus - (1/13) Had recent mastectomy, awaiting tx decisions, & is a widow who farms.

Sofiag1964 (Sophia) - (1/17) Praise Report: "my sister is doing well & continue to improve since diagnosed with brain embolism; my niece Taya still improving & doesn't need oxygen tank as much due to the swine flu." Also praising God for blessing her with 6 months of free rent in her first shop.

Sofiag1964 (Sophia)- (1/17) Requesting prayer for her fibromyalgia condition that is putting a strain on her physical strength as she runs her business.

Hopeful2 (Sandy) - (1/17) Requesting continued prayers for her daughter Rene who has been struggling with cardiac problems. Rene is also homebound and is in need of prayers for the prosperity of her business of making & selling jewelry online. Rene's restoration to a state of wholeness in spirit, mind & body is the focus of prayer. [Jeremiah 33:3]

Youmeus - (1/23) Is requesting prayers due to a very difficult week for her & her loved one's. Oh's Uncle was admitted to a facility due to Alzheimers. Neighbor with cancer awaiting source & treatment information. Her brother had surgery on Thursday for removal of a portion of his colon. ADIL's father had an aneurism, & it reportedly looks bad.

Youmeus (Linda) had a doctor's appointment & was scheduled for a total hip replacement on Feb. 14th. Prayers for God's peace & strength needed to help Linda and her loved ones meet these difficult challenges. (3/8/2011) Linda reports on continuing to feel better since her successful hip surgery on Valentine's Day (2/14/11).

Update (1/27) Youmeus reported family of DIL made decision to take father off life support on 1/26/11 and he passed away 3 hours later. Continue to pray for the families peace and strength. Also neighbor, Frank will be starting a treatment plan for esophageal cancer. Continue prayers for him that the treatment plan will be effective and that he will be able to tolerate the treatments.

Youmeus - (1/30) Linda is thankful to God for providing traveling mercies for their family who attended DIL's father's funeral. She shared testimony of her DIL (Joy) concerning her father's passing (see 1/27 update above & post # 1076).

Youmeus - (3/8) Linda is thankful for the many prayers received for her hip surgery on 2/14/11; she is in self-directed rehab & recovering nicely. PTL! (4/10/11) Linda continues to receive good reports from her doctor on her hip surgery success. Praise The LORD!

Gramma1111 - (4/8) Pray for Jackie as she is dealing with illness in her family. Pray for Jackie's strength and family peace.

Rene' (Hopeful2's Daughter) - (4/8) Sandy has requested continued prayers for her daughter Rene' who has chronic cardiac problems. Please continue to stand on Jeremiah 33:3 for a wholeperson healing from the LORD. Nothing is too hard for God! PTL! (see 1/17/11 request above).

United States of America - (5/23/11) LORD we lift our Nation to you and ask that you would restore this Nation once again to be One Nation Under God Indivisible With Liberty and Justice For All. Let your blessing roll down like the waters. Still the ravages of natural disasters that are destroying our beautiful Nation. Bless our leaders at every level, make them mindful of your sovereignity and power, and obedient to your laws and commands. LORD heal our land and it's people. Thank you LORD for being a God who hears and answers prayer. Amen.

Will and Family in Joplin Missouri - (5/24/11) LORD we lift up Will & his family to you and ask that his location & status be determined; give Will's family peace during this devastating tragedy. LORD continue to minister to the needs of all the tornado devastated communities in Joplin Missouri, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Kansas, and other mid-western and central USA states. Continue to restore the devastated Southern States from tornado damage. LORD please heal our land. Thank you LORD for being a God who hears and answers prayer. Amen.

FOR EARLIER UPDATE HISTORY SEE POST #760 & POST #982 (LAST 2010 LIST UPDATE)
    SEE POST # 1039 FOR THREAD 2010 SUMMARY REPORT & POST #1043 FOR 1st PRAYER LIST 2011

Bringing the prayer list forward..............continuing to ask God to hear and answer each prayer request.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    I love the Book of Numbers; particularly where the donkey speaks to Balaam for hitting him. Glad to hear your computer is ok now!
    Youmeus or anyone reading this , what do you think about this account in Numbers 22-24?

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Youmeus or anyone reading this , what do you think about this account in Numbers 22-24?
    I have no trouble with believing God made the donkey talk, my problem is that Balaam actually talked to him.

Balaam was willing to not go to Balak because he knew God did not want him to put a curse on his enemys but God told him to go then put the angel in the donkey's way. I understand how it all worked out and I know God's ways are not our ways but it seems it would have been simpler to just leave Balak to his own schemes.

I also KNOW doing things my way instead of seeking God's ways is a deadend road! We trust doctors because they have more education about our bodies, we trust ministers because they have more education about the Bible, we trust others in higher places because we think they know more about something than we do------why is it sometimes hard to trust the ONE who made us and all that is around us? This is a lesson I think I have learned but sometimes I think something to death instead of just trusting.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I found Balaam's ongoing conversation with the donkey amusing. People talk to themseves and answer themselves. I know this because I have done it.

Balaam was willing to go back but he made the mistake initially of asking God what His will was, after God had spoken to him the first time, telling him "not to attempt to curse a people that God had blessed. The LORD then told Balaam to go; but Balaam was then moving in God's permissive will. This is not the place of God's covering or protection. That is why the Angel of the LORD showed up to slaughter Balaam. The donkey actually saved his life by talking to him, slamming him into the wall, and refusing to proceed because the donkey saw the Angel of the LORD but Balaam did not.

We all struggle with the trust issue at times, even the Biblical heros like Job and David. Thank God we serve the risen Savior, Jesus Christ, "who is our High Priest who was tempted in all things and yet was without sin." [Hebrews 4:15] Jesus is able to deal gently with people because He was fully man, experiencing all the temptations of man but without sin. [Hebrews 5] Jesus Christ, our High Priest and God, is seated at the right hand of God the Father in heaven, interceding constantly on the behalf of all believers. [Hebrews 8:1] Amen.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by youmeus View Post
    I know God's ways are not our ways but it seems it would have been simpler to just leave Balak to his own schemes
    Yes, it would have been much simpler, at least to most obsevers. But God delights in taking the foolish things of this world (an ass) to confound the wise (an accomplished sooth sayer and prophet).

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well, finished Book I of Psalms........chapters 1-41; are all psalms of David. As I was saying in post #1154 it is something how these chapters seemed to mirror Job. As I continued into Book 2 of Psalms (chapters 42-72) I saw the same pattern of the prayers & complaints of the just, questioning God as to why they were not being delivered. The decendants of Korah, Asaph, and David were indicated as authors of these Psalms. Like David, they praised God in the midst of their suffering and complaints. For some reason I never saw the Psalms like this until I focused on Job.

Thread Information