Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple question

Default Simple question

Does an item have to be of a certain age before it can be called "antique" ?

I've tried googling but there seems to be a lot of different interpretations

So does anyone know, and could they provide a link please.

I ask as I am in talks with someone who gets hold of lots of old items, mostly ceramics & pocelaine but on occassions wooden items & clocks, but neither of us know what age an item has to be to be called antique as we are still learning in this area

Many thanks

50 years

Reincarnation is just another repeat

when you buy its called rubbish but when you sale its an antique.Be carefull as lots of so called antiques are only featching peanuts in a flooded market.

Reincarnation is just another repeat

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

Antique is generally accepted as being 100 years old, anything less is 'collectable'. 'Vintage' is usually used when the exact age is not known, but it clearly has some age and history.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm not familiar with collectible being used to denote age, is this a furniture and ornaments type thing? For me, collectible applies to anything that is desirable because of its features, scarcity, likely future value... not age. I slide straight from vintage to antique (or antiquarian as I deal in books) without anything in between. I don't think I'd call anything from the twentieth century antique, even though the start is now well over the 100 year gap! Just makes me feel too old.

All-About victorfrank
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I'm not familiar with collectible being used to denote age, is this a furniture and ornaments type thing? For me, collectible applies to anything that is desirable because of its features, scarcity, likely future value... not age. I slide straight from vintage to antique (or antiquarian as I deal in books) without anything in between. I don't think I'd call anything from the twentieth century antique, even though the start is now well over the 100 year gap! Just makes me feel too old.
    You are correct Kimbo. Collectable is used (unofficially) to denote items other than antique by age; originally, I think, to allow organisers of antiques fairs to encourage in dealers whose entire stock was not antique, hence Antiques and Collectors Fairs. The whole area of collectables is a bit of a minefield, since many organisers do not allow collectables which are brand new, irrespective of how 'collectable' the item is.

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

In the US, the definition was set somewhat by the US Customs officials who needed to determine what imports should be classified as antiques. They concluded that objects that pre-dated the mass
    production of objects in the 1830s would be classified as antiques. Since the defining moment went back about 100 years, the office defined an antique as something made over 100 years ago. And still do.

All-About victorfrank
    Forum Posts

Just another thought, Sarah. Within the antiques trade, surprisingly you do not hear the word antique that much, particularly not in descriptions. More useful and usual to describe and attempt to put an age to something: Edwardian clock; Georgian silver, Victorian balloon back chair, etc. If you cannot date something, 'vintage' is useful - if you know it is old, plus an honest description.

Also, 'antique' does not mean valuable. I have several early porcelain creamers dating from about 1790 (un-attributed to a particular factory) and they are worth alot less than a quite modern 1980s Beswick cow. If I was starting in this trade again, I would be buying unusual pieces of Troika, any Moorcroft I could lay my hands on and Martin Brothers 'grotesque' wares. (But equally, I would not smoke, drink and eat Kebabs; all of which I enjoy).

Thankyou all for your input. It has given me some insight into how things should be classed.

The main reason for this question is that I didn't want to list something in antiques if it aint antique, as I find this would possibly be counter productive.

I understand that the word antique does not mean it's valuable, other wise I would be a multi-millionaire as would most because of all the really old coins I have been given by grandad's & great grandad's, although I know there are a few very rare coins from the 1800's.

I will be listing old items on here & other venues, I only have 1 at the moment listed here. I know auction houses can be a good source for valuing, but in general in we get a piece for say £3.00 and we sell it for £5-£10 then we are happy as we do this as a hobby more than anything, but we are registered as a buisness to keep the tax man happy. (He's not a person to cross lol)

If anyone has anymore ideas, info etc, I would be grateful.

Many thanks

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Antiques - 100 years or older; vintage-25 years or older. I'm also using a category of collectibles "contemporary" which are more than 10 but less than 25 years old.

Thread Information