eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How come I had to fill in the stock info for every book I listed tonight?

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default How come I had to fill in the stock info for every book I listed tonight?

Only one out of the three I listed even had a stock file, and that was just the title (not even publisher or year). Lucky for you lot that I was able to fill in all the info *and* scan my books for a good stock image! Mind you, the books I listed are fairly old, but should still contain useful information.

Only drag I find is the postage on some of them - £5 before I've even added the packing!
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

It's because the booksellers are not putting the information into the stock files. For most of them, their listings are coming from other sites or their own website and are just transferred here in bulk.
    Others, like me tend to list the standard way using our own descriptions. Could also be that all the used books mean there is no access to the dust jacket descriptions which tend to be the standard in stock files.
    We really should start filling those in with jacket info. and ISBN numbers!

I've got that problem - 99% of mine are a bulk upload from Amazon, and consequently have very little info on them.

All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well, just listed my first books with the stock info. (I entered the info.) and it wasn't too time consuming. My thinking is that those of us selling books may need to put some time in getting our stock files here filled better. Most of the info. can be grabbed from other sites like Green Metropolis and the river, etc. rather easily, so it's copy and paste instead of typing. Do you think if we all tried to do a couple every so often - especially new titles - it would eventually fill up?

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I wondered why a lot of books came up without any info.

What I find more puzzling is that often, especially with newly released books, Ebid tells me they dont actually have the book when I search for it, but when I use the regular listing tool I get a message up asking me if I want to use their stock photo.

How can they have a stock photo when they say they cant find the same book when I use their search?

All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

All but one of the listings I filled out with the ISBN number had a stock photo, even though it did not have a description or any other info. So they must have a cache of photos, but just not the description information.
    Last edited by klj; 25th August 2008 at 04:23 PM.

I have started to use and fill in as well

Reincarnation is just another repeat

Very helpful info. here! Just jumped ship two days ago from Ebay and attempting to list lots of books--and was wondering why the photos and stock info. wasn't coming up--even on fairly new and common books. I am still not sure I understand the system here--but in 48 hours of being here I guess I might not. LOL! I am so used to the one at Ebay--that I am stuck in that rut. I've been lifting pics and cutting and pasting some myself--but not in a way to violate any rules hopefully. Am I understanding that the Ebid system is somehow hinged or based upon the info. the sellers input? And if so--how does that work? I generally sell fairly low priced popular books and rely more on volume--so am not terribly keen on spending lots of time inputting lots of info--but would if it helped some system.

Another obscure question: I notice most booksellers on Ebid are in the UK. Same universal system on Ebid--or different for different countries? The reason I ask--I come across many books in my bulk purchasing (totally within the USA where I live) that are published in the UK and their ISBN's wouldn't even come up in the Ebay system. I thought ISBN stood for International Standard...so why wouldn't they come up? Just curious.
    I've just been a book listing drone for so many years--I've never understood how they system worked. I listed on Amazon briefly years ago. I am assuming that the Muze system on Ebay is owned by Ebay and that Amazon has their own system? And Ebid has one too? But I assume not so well developed? And how is it tied to any effort we input? I mean--on Ebay and Amazon it seems internal and has nothing to do with the sellers? I don't know...

All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello Bookeroo and welcome! I'll try to answer your questions. ISBN are Internationally standard, but if a different publisher is used for different countries publishing the same book, there will be different ISBN numbers for the same title (same for different editions of the same title). Each publisher applies for the ISBN number.
    When feebay (we don't use the proper name as it triggers Google ads for that site on this one) started, individual sellers were entering book info. I think Muze is a system that they then subscribed to for new books, DVD's, etc. On here, we will build our library of titles that can be listed by ISBN by filling in ourselves (from books flaps, publishers info, etc.). If you have new books to list, enter the ISBN number, a box will come up with the information or asking you to put the info. in. If you enter the details it will then be there for future listings of that book. It's pretty easy to follow if you just try one. It is time consuming, but if it's the same info. you would put in your listing, not so much. Even a few books added every so often will help build the system. I hope that helps. If you have more questions, just ask! You can click on my user name to send a private message too (when we are both on the forums - look for the green light under the avatar) if you would like more detail.

Thread Information