Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Add Option, MAKE A OFFER with BUY NOW

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BAGHAG999 View Post
    I did try that on the darkside but was getting lots of silly offers in the end was telling them to try a Car Boot sale.

Yep, offers are always derisory, and I think "make me an offer" makes it look as though the seller is either trying it on, or doesn't know what their item is worth. However, I do think that this form of haggling is more normal in certain categories (such as antiques) so can see why others might want the facility. I don't like it, but if it existed I wouldn't have to use it!

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Surely your best offer price should be the one you start off at.
    (I am in favour of an optional 'Make an Offer' system). Lofty really is correct, but in the antiques world the 'what's your best price?' philosophy is, sadly, in-grained. It originally started years ago with dealers asking 'What is the trade price?' which would be between 10% and 20% off the ticket price, then, fuelled by the numerous 'beat the dealer with a big stick' programmes, everyone started demanding discount - you would have a 6 year old asking: 'Here mister, what's your trade price for cash on that Minging vase?' Now it is everywhere, often accompanied by; 'I'll take that off your hands'/'I'll do you a favour'/'I can get a new 18th century Worcester vase for half that price', etc. Even in the better quality fairs it has creeped in, presumably as the petrol for the Rolls Royce has gone up. Basically, I agree with Lofty, but sadly, it is not the world which I now have to operate in.

I think some are losing the point, To add Make an offer or ONO would be optional
    for who would like to use it, If you do not want to use it fair enough, But I think its only fair its there for the member who do. And is not the high street or car boot sale, ONO is offerd to most classified which are in papers the loot and other web site including Ebaaaa So I only think is should be here. Can anyone say why not have it for an option for members who would like the choice of useing it. Ken

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gayukshop View Post
    I think some are losing the point, To add Make an offer or ONO would be optional

Precisely what we've been saying. No point lost. Don't like it but as it would be optional, wouldn't have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by booksforsale View Post
    Make Offer.

This is sorely needed.
    Would be very good idea

Sometimes we, as sellers might overprice an item, not through greed, but simply not knowing what the market is.

This is where I feel some sort of offer or haggle system comes into its own.

Obviously you will get the idiots who will make stupid offers, they are easy to ignore. Not much point wasting time in taking offence at a crap offer.

I would much rather make a sale at a negotiated price, than have an item sitting on Buy Now for ages waiting for someone to come along.

So when the guys are ready to add this OPTIONAL, per listing facility, I will be altering my listings accordingly.
    http://im1.ebidst.com/upload_banner/booksforsale_61768.jpg

Booksforsale For Vintage Homewares and New & Secondhand Books

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

Personally I would not use a make offer feature, I price my items for the amount I want to receive for them, if I used a make offer feature I would have to increase the BIN price and that would not in my opinion be a wise move.
    Myositis in Focus : my website on the awareness of the Muscle inflammatory disease

My Daily Journal : my Daily Blog " Living with Dermatomyositis

Years Gone By My Genealogy and Family History store

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BAGHAG999 View Post
    I did try that on the darkside but was getting lots of silly offers in the end was telling them to try a Car Boot sale.
    Over there one can set boundaries to auto-reject or auto-accept offers, while leaving other offers to be decided upon manually. This seems like a good system, however I would expand it to include an Offer system for auction format listings, so instead of a Buy Now price there is only the starting bid and an Offer button (if the seller wants to add it), buyers can privately make their offers to Buy Now while the listing is still active. How many times have you seen people asking a seller what they would sell for now in auction format listings?
    Last edited by heatemyfather; 13th August 2008 at 06:12 PM.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Surely your best offer price should be the one you start off at.
    Not necessarily. If an auction format listing has several days to go someone may want to buy it right away at a price that's right for them, without having to compete in open bidding or paying the Buy Now price.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

That sounds pretty good I have had several buyers on ebaaa emailing me asking what price would I accept, I always just its an ongoing auction

Cheers for the comment Ken

Thread Information