eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Report the Murano Fakes?

Forum Lurker
    View cruellady's Feedback (+42)
    All-About cruellady
    View cruellady's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Should I Report the Murano Fakes?

Hello all,
    I'm dithering here, and would like some advice. As eBid is filling up, I went to see if anyone was selling Venetian Murano components. No one yet, but I was irritated to find a huge list of jewellery sellers describing their Indian, Chinese and Peruvian glass jewellery as Murano.

There are a couple of sellers selling genuine Murano, and at least one honest seller who describes her glasswork as 'Murano Style'. I feel the fakers, albeit often adding 'Murano' out of ignorance, should be forced to revise their descriptions with the suffix 'Style', because they are devaluing the real stuff, and making eBid no better than the Other Place.

Sorry, but this really annoys me - I can't afford genuine Murano components very often, and to list something I've made with it would be pointless at the moment - it would be buried in the list of pretty, but not genuine, jewellery.

Your thoughts appreciated ...
    Cru
    x

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello Cru. Might be worth contacting the sellers first and letting them know that you think their items are not genuine and suggest re-describing them. Just an observation.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I personally would contact the sellers. As you said, it might well be ignorance. And as a last resort report them.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

The problem with contacting the sellers, is that if they resent your interference and are listing inaccurately in full knowledge... you have then red-flagged your ID to them - if you then report them and they get into trouble, they'll know exactly who's to blame, and might feel vengeful.

All-About victorfrank
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    The problem with contacting the sellers, is that if they resent your interference and are listing inaccurately in full knowledge... you have then red-flagged your ID to them - if you then report them and they get into trouble, they'll know exactly who's to blame, and might feel vengeful.
    There certainly could be a risk of it happening (almost certainly would happen on the other side), and thinking further about it, there is an 'under-current' of activity on this site which does make one think carefully before putting the metaphorical pen to paper, especially if you upset the status quo, or any members of it.

May depend on how strongly you feel and if you can handle the 'upset'.

All-About victorfrank
    Forum Posts

Just a further thought/question. Are you able to tell if it is genuine from a photograph, assuming the photograph is a good one? Not doubting your experience or knowledge in this field, but genuinely interested and it raises interesting questions about who you report it to having the experience and knowledge to agree/disagree.

Forum Lurker
    All-About cruellady
    Forum Posts

Gosh, thanks for the thoughtful response from everyone - plenty to digest. I think bykimbo is right, in that direct mailing will simply flag me as an evangelistic newbie who should mind her own business - nobody likes to be corrected, especially if including 'Murano' in a title will get the views/sales!

(In answer to your Q, victorfrank, yes, an experienced jewellery maker can tell from a decent pic (clarity of the glass etc), but you don't need to be 'in the know': the real 'tell' for everyone is the price; a 12mm high standard Murano coloured glass heart (suitable for one earring) costs around £2.50+ to a jewellery maker, planing upward if foiled with silver, or yellow/white gold. Cost-in the other materials, and design/time/labour at an illegal-in-this-country £2 per hour, and the seller is still making a titanic loss if it is genuine Murano from Venice. I think this scenario is unlikely.)

Thing is, these people are selling perfectly good jewellery at a good price, often with well-produced Indian, Chinese or Peruvian handmade glass - it's just not Murano. I would happily report these folk en masse, damian_steele, but the craftsmen on Murano don't have a copyright, or trademark, or any of that - they've been doing it since the C13th, and they let the quality speak for itself.

I just think that to report all of 'em would give the eBid stalwarts a really time-consuming task, and divert them from more pressing matters as things are getting busier, also possibly unneccessarily antagonising bulk sellers we need. Although tidying this up would help maintain the quality of the site ...
    :: falls over backwards and foams at the mouth ::

The only thing I can think of, in view of everyone's opinion, is to report them one at a time, and see if it has any effect ...

Cru
    x

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

With a bit of luck one or two of the sellers have been reading this thread and decided to take appropriate action on their own accord

Forum Newbie
    View purplerooth's Feedback (+13)
    All-About purplerooth
    View purplerooth's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just wondering what happened with this situation?

Forum Lurker
    All-About cruellady
    Forum Posts

Well I think meebo is right - a number of offending listings have been changed to add 'style' or some indication that the glass isn't real Italian Murano!

I'm keeping an eye on it ... ;-)

Thread Information