Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: eBid Increasingly Looks Like THE Auction Alternative

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheap2clear View Post
    The problem is most people will stay with the devil they know.And I do not know what can be done to change it.
    It's simple, eBid just needs validation (not advertising) in the form of endorsements from people with 'status'. They might be large sellers, celebrities whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    It's simple, eBid just needs validation (not advertising) in the form of endorsements from people with 'status'. They might be large sellers, celebrities whatever.
    I can confirm that's exactly why I stay with british gas, BT, and local electricity company

tho I have and am coming over here perminatly

I have a new banner showing, go on click the pic take a look, you know you want to.
    And I've finally listed more things!!!

New Stores
    Click to see Akitas Books and all Things Readable

Akita's for Allsorts
    open for business

I have the same ID on the other site, please feel free to check out my feedback there.

UK Auction Help - Fair Trader Scheme

Click here to join or upgrade

Forum Newbie
    View Heruur's Feedback (+180)
    All-About Heruur
    View Heruur's Listings
    Forum Posts

I will be totally done with FEE-BAY by the end of August or early September. Here is what I do. I put a small piece of paper telling them that I'm going to be gone from FEE-BAY for the good in September and will then sell exclusively THROUGH EBID.

It also offers them an option of using the note as a coupon for 5 to 10 % off their first order on ebid depending on payment method. My theory is that as long as you sell on both they will go to fee bay by default, but once they know they will be missing out on cool deals they will come to e bid. If more sellers do this then we can build it up here into a nice thriving net auction site.
    Heruur Electronic Specialties Co.
    ~If you can DREAM of it We can build it!~
    http://us.nine.ebid.net/perl/main.cg...arch&type=user

Quote Originally Posted by cheap2clear View Post
    From what you say, from a fiscal point of view the growth outlook is not good. Three sites 75% of your sales on eBay, 15% on Yahoo, and 10% on eBid with eBay taking over the strongest of the other two, so 90% of your sales on eBay and 10% on eBid. if I was a trader I would concentrate my sales effort on the site that gave me the most sales. There is no doubt in my mind that eBay at this instant in time is the market leader.
    I suspect that things may have changed a bit in the last 6 months, there seems to be huge numbers of very underpriced items that aren't selling on eB*y.

Plus larger numbers of sales and turnover does not necessarily equal larger profit. By the time the several lots of fees, and frequently multiple relisting fees are taken off it's quite possible to end up in a loss on eB*y, despite more sales. I'd rather sell fewer with a higher profit per item, thanks to tiny fvf fees, it's less work; it's ok working on the pile-em-high-with-wafer-thin-profits model if you're a huge corporation shifting hundreds of thousands of items a year, but it's not practical to the small trader to attempt something like that.

As someone said on another thread, with eB*y it's impossible to know whether you're going to end up in profit or loss, because there is no way of knowing what the relisting fees are going to end up being and no guarantee that an item will sell first time.

Looking good! - Just in the process of setting up shop here and defecting from feebay..so fingers crossed!!!!

View AnnaBee's Feedback (+57)
    All-About AnnaBee
    View AnnaBee's Listings
    Forum Posts

eb*y have announced their evolution from auction site to an online retail marketplace and the new measures announced recently are designed to bring this about. They intend to go for the larger companies and eliminate the auctions altogether. They intend to prohibit the use of cheques & postal orders by the end of the year. Next move will be to provide checkout as at the big river........
    There wont be a place for the individual sellers - it will have moved totally away from the auctions - and those who haven't moved already will want to find an alternative.
    I just don't understand why ebid keep so quiet....never a quote or a mention in any press coverage. With this amount of interest in the auction giant surely ebid should be on everyones lips?
    Maybe ebid are eb*y already..........?

Forum Lurker
    View cruellady's Feedback (+42)
    All-About cruellady
    View cruellady's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaBee View Post
    I just don't understand why ebid keep so quiet....never a quote or a mention in any press coverage. With this amount of interest in the auction giant surely ebid should be on everyones lips?
    Maybe ebid are eb*y already..........?
    The eBid management are quoted occasionally, but what can they usefully say at present? Surely we're all tired of the puff, policy reversals and flim-flam we get elsewhere? I think it's preferable that they continue doing what they're doing - putting man hours into working on site structure for seller, and ultimately, buyer confidence.

The market itself will be proof of the Christmas pudding - not a snowstorm of press releases.

Cru
    x

Forum Diehard
    View baconsdozen's Feedback (+711)
    All-About baconsdozen
    View baconsdozen's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ebay rang me yesterday,to tell me about the new fees and ask which category of shop I'll be using.They have never rung before and I've been on there for many years,so they are getting worried I guess.
    I told the guy the fees won't bother me in the future because I'm closing my shop and have e-mailed all the people who registered to receive e-mails from me of my decision.I told them I considered their new fees and alterations would choke a great many other people off
    The phone was put down,the truth hurts.

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baconsdozen View Post
    I told them I considered their new fees and alterations would choke a great many other people off
    The phone was put down,the truth hurts.
    That's really funny, not at all slick. They're obviously pushing their general staff into doing a salespersons job and their heart's are not in it.

Forum Newbie
    Stourport On Severn, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    View RedfiveToys's Feedback (+812)
    All-About RedfiveToys
    View RedfiveToys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile

Hi,

I have also recently defected from eB*y, and opened a shop here the new fees were the last staw.

I sell mainly new film and T.V. related collectable toys, and the (RRP) mark up on the figures is often only about £1- £2's per figure. With eB*ys new shop fees, and the enforced PayPay taking their cut, I will be lucky to get a few pence!

I do still have my shop, and some items listed, but I'm going to be very careful with my listings, until I close it. I am going to try and keep it open until Christmas, and I'm enclosing a note telling my customers about eBid in with every purchase until them.

Hopefully, even if they don't come to see my shop, they will have a look at the eBid site out of curiosity!!

Thread Information