Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: offensive weapons

Exclamation offensive weapons

As i cannot find anywhere on this site to complain about items being sold i Have to put it on this forum.I have come across Hunting Knives being sold..Surely you shouldnt allow this sort of weapon to be sold on a site such as this
    Last edited by rosywood; 19th July 2008 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rosywood View Post
    As i cannot find anywhere on this site to complain about items being sold i Have to put it on this forum.I have come across Hunting Knives being sold..Surely you shouldnt allow this sort of weapon to be sold on a site such as this

Have you reported the auction in question? If you do this, admin will see a patrol request & then they will take the appropiate action.

I have to ask....just what is offensive about hunting knives? Even the darkside allows hunting knives and just about every other site I know of does too. Several men collect them. Knives, pen knives and swords for that matter. The only ones generally not allowed are switchblades because of the gang usage. I don't get the offense here???? You are objecting to something many, many sellers handle.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowseeker View Post
    I have to ask....just what is offensive about hunting knives? Even the darkside allows hunting knives and just about every other site I know of does too. Several men collect them. Knives, pen knives and swords for that matter. The only ones generally not allowed are switchblades because of the gang usage. I don't get the offense here???? You are objecting to something many, many sellers handle.
    Without the auction ID there is no way of telling why this knife / weapon etc may be offensive, thats why I just gave general advice. Admin will be the ones that take the final decission, but like you say as long as it is not on the banned list, then there should not be any reason for hunting knifes etc to be deleted.

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowseeker View Post

I know what you are saying...but here in the UK there is a huge problem with knife crime and some people feel that knives should not be so readily available...its not just switchblades that people are using...

at the end of the day people can only give and opinion and its up to the site owners to make the decision...

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    Without the auction ID there is no way of telling why this knife / weapon etc may be offensive, thats why I just gave general advice. Admin will be the ones that take the final decission, but like you say as long as it is not on the banned list, then there should not be any reason for hunting knifes etc to be deleted.
    Heres an example of the type of knife some people in the UK would consider offensive...in that if you are carrying it in public and the police search and find it on you, if I understand right, you can be charged with possession of an offensive weapon...

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...0-0&mo=auction

please correct me if I'm wrong.

That's a politically correct argument in the making. Sad commentary for sure. So then you cannot buy knives like this in the UK? Is that what you are saying? It is illegal to sell them in your country? They can be sold in the US......as long as they are not switchblades.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchysyl View Post
    Heres an example of the type of knife some people in the UK would consider offensive...in that if you are carrying it in public and the police search and find it on you, if I understand right, you can be charged with possession of an offensive weapon...

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...0-0&mo=auction

please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I quite agree.

A lot of people don't realise that screwdrivers come under the same law.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJus...tion/DG_078569

So where do we stand then?

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Like many other things.....they only become a "weapon" in the wrong hands & in the wrong location.

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Carrying a knife and selling a knife are two different things. Your law says:
    There is a complete ban on the sale of certain types of knives categorised as offensive weapons, regardless of their use, these include:
    • flick knives - knives where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed; these are also called 'switchblades' or 'automatic knives'
    • butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
    • disguised knives - where the blade is hidden inside something like a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
    That would be the same as in the US. So it would seem selling the knife linked to above is perfectly legal. And if used for said purpose your countrymen could use it as such as well....they just better not get caught in a dark alley with it in their pants.

Thread Information