Forum Lurker
    Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View tiabooks's Feedback (+6)
    All-About tiabooks
    View tiabooks's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Web site programmes

I think this is board I should be on

I am looking - just looking at the moment for a programme to build my own web site

I am technically challanged to the point of being "thick" when it comes to computers

I have been reading about buying a domain name, then the costs per month for a "host"

Too much for me addled brain!!!

Can someone please help me

Many thanks

Tiabooks

http:// uk.ebid.net/stores/tiabooks

If you are 'technically challenged' as you say why do you think it's a good idea to try and have your own website. I would do some homework first and improve your computer skills.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Hi tia, try this one I have used this site in the past and they were excellent, still use them for some of my friends and family
    http://www.freevirtualservers.com/free-hosting.htm

Go and have a look at it,You do everything on line it is so easy and free. you can also upgrade as you get better for a small monthly fee
    Frank
    Myositis in Focus : my website on the awareness of the Muscle inflammatory disease

My Daily Journal : my Daily Blog " Living with Dermatomyositis

Years Gone By My Genealogy and Family History store

Forum Newbie
    All-About marmy
    View marmy's Listings
    Forum Posts

if you find a host company like 1and1 or fasthosts, you can buy a domain name at same time you set up the hosting, so they deal with all that for you

if you are going for a professional business look, i would advise against free hosting as they stick ads on your pages and also dont do a lot of things you may need

Forum Lurker
    Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View tiabooks's Feedback (+6)
    All-About tiabooks
    View tiabooks's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks everyone

Frank, I have had a quick look at that page - saved it and will read more - this is about my limit for the time being

Ooooh to be a whizz-kid!!!!!!

Tiabooks

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/tiabooks

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Two things to consider - as a novice you will probably want a website package that you can easily edit yourself without knowing any code what so ever, so you will be limited by how good and how much control over it that you will have, your page may look like many others on the web that were created in the same way (using templates etc). As common as it may sound, a blog is probably the easiest thing to understand and manage for the beginner, and there are thousands of visual templates to choose from all over the internet, you will probably need to download and install the template(s) to your blog templates directory yourself but it's very easy to do.

Secondly, a quality host is worth paying for. Free hosts are not really free - you pay for the service by allowing adverts and probably having a very low monthly bandwidth (effectively this is a limit on how many people can view your website per month, plus there are other factors that can affect your bandwidth such as search engine bots, but that's a more complex issue). My host costs me £30 per year, my .co.uk domain name is £12 every two years.

I can recommend www.nethosted.co.uk for a quality host, I don't think it really makes much difference who you register a domain name with as a lot of hosts provide this service too, I have mine registered with www.123reg.co.uk (who also do hosting).
    You may need further advice and hand-holding, that's what forums are for even before you sign up to their service
    Nethosted have some nice easy-install packages for website building, all automated installation using fantastico and cPanel.
    Last edited by heatemyfather; 18th July 2008 at 03:43 PM.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Thread Information