eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: No increase in book and magazine listings

Forum Diehard
    View baconsdozen's Feedback (+711)
    All-About baconsdozen
    View baconsdozen's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've got a huge collection of car magazines going right back to the 50's.I often buy ones that I haven't got and read them when there's nothing on tele worth watching.
    The older ones make you realise how much things have changed,I've just put down a mag that amongst other things carried an ad for a 1953 Jag Mk& for £250 (with overdrive and body like new) and a MG two seater of the same vintage with wire wheels for £90.
    It's amazing how mant car makers have vanished since these were published and how wrong the editorial in one which confidently predicted that Japanese cars will never be imported in large numbers!

The last twelve months have shown a huge decrease in the demand for books - I don't sell fiction for the reasons you mention.
    There was a time when I was posting around twelve books on a Monday morning - those were the days.
    I really can't pin point a reason for the decline in cookbook sales - I guess that many people are like me and use the same old book time and time again.

Baconsdozen - do you own a bricks & mortar shop? How is it doing? Have you noticed a decline during the last twelve months?

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

We used to have quite a few b&m second-hand book shops here in my home town in New Zealand, they have mostly closed down.

Either due to internet sales or lack of demand or oversupply, or lack of reading ?

Caramia, I have also had a slight concern about the Kindle. However, the kind of books I sell - non-fiction - mostly cookbooks, I don't think will be too badly affected by their introduction. The main reason for my poor sales in that line is, I think, the availability and popularity of ready-meals e.g. M&S £10 deal.
    I seem to remember reading, recently, that the popularity of the Kindle had been over-emphasised; so perhaps that and others like it will be a five-minute wonder.
    We can but hope

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View gyronny's Feedback (+1772)
    All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know this might be construed as heresy, but i considered buying a Kindle or similar to take on holiday. Save me lugging a pile of paperbacks around.
    Heard lots of bad things about them so far, and the price of ebooks is horrendous, so I'm not rushing into a purchase

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

It is now possible to download free Kindle applications for the PC, iPad and smart phones

With time I think all books will be replaced by ebooks, just as vinyl records were replaced by cds, which are now being replaced by downloads. Its called progress

I understand lots of magazines and papers are already available in ebook form. Many older books are available free. Even Readers Digest have been giving free electronic copies of their magazine to iPad users.
    Last edited by TonyBridger; 31st October 2010 at 12:01 PM.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Quote Originally Posted by gyronny View Post
    I know this might be construed as heresy, but i considered buying a Kindle or similar to take on holiday. Save me lugging a pile of paperbacks around.
    Heard lots of bad things about them so far, and the price of ebooks is horrendous, so I'm not rushing into a purchase

Hi Gyronny

I don't think heretic 'thoughts' count

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    It is now possible to download free Kindle applications for the PC, iPad and smart phones

With time I think all books will be replaced by ebooks, just as vinyl records were replaced by cds, which are now being replaced by downloads. Its called progress

I understand lots of magazines and papers are already available in ebook form. Many older books are available free. Even Readers Digest have been giving free electronic copies of their magazine to iPad users.
    OMG! If this carries on booksellers will become rarer than trainspotters!

Thread Information