Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: No increase in book and magazine listings

Quote Originally Posted by leapingcat View Post
    Very few people want hardbacks, they prefer paperbacks which they can fit into their pocket or handbag. The few hardback fiction books that I have, other than the science fiction ones, have now all gone into my bargain section at prices that I hope are low enough to tempt casual buyers. I don't see them selling in any other way.
    I much prefer hardbacks to paperbacks as I often re-read a series when a new volume comes out. Eventually I will replace most of my paperbacks with hardbacks.

I've just been checking out a few of my favourite authors and was surprised at just how big the book section has grown.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

Yes, if there's one thing that it's really not going to be economic to list on eB*y, it's going to be books. Low prices, high fees and higher postage costs mean that it's just not worth the risk of making a loss each time you sell a book, so I would think they'll all end up here.

I prefer hardbacks too - but not the humungous things you get now, they're crazy big, I've got one on Nicholas and Alexandra that is HUGE, it's got to be over 2Kg, but it's one that isn't a reference, or a coffee table book, it's for normal reading. It made my wrists ache to hold it and I can't imagine taking it out with me to read. It's also only 15p on Amazon, so I won't be selling it. Dunno what to do with it really, I can't bear to recycle it, it's beautiful.

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalusLibrorum View Post
    Yes, if there's one thing that it's really not going to be economic to list on eB*y, it's going to be books. Low prices, high fees and higher postage costs mean that it's just not worth the risk of making a loss each time you sell a book, so I would think they'll all end up here.

I prefer hardbacks too - but not the humungous things you get now, they're crazy big, I've got one on Nicholas and Alexandra that is HUGE, it's got to be over 2Kg, but it's one that isn't a reference, or a coffee table book, it's for normal reading. It made my wrists ache to hold it and I can't imagine taking it out with me to read. It's also only 15p on Amazon, so I won't be selling it. Dunno what to do with it really, I can't bear to recycle it, it's beautiful.
    Agree with you there Hazel - think we are seeing more booksellers here for that reason, also agree about the size of new hardbacks. When did they jump in size? It seems like a couple of years ago they were 'normal' and now they are jumbo.

Why not try listing your Nicholas and Alexandra here - even with the cost of postage, there are collectors and other readers that also like hardbacks, and people who just love books, and they all know what it costs to post and often are willing to pay it. After all, what have you got to lose by giving it a shot?

Hi, I'm a newbie who's had enough of ebay and I mainly sell books and comics. Hopefully the word gets around that ebid is the viable alternative as the new fees that ebay are about to introduce on Sept. 25 will no doubt drive many people out. Peace & Sunshine from aniseedlines.

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aniseedlines View Post
    Hi, I'm a newbie who's had enough of ebay and I mainly sell books and comics. Hopefully the word gets around that ebid is the viable alternative as the new fees that ebay are about to introduce on Sept. 25 will no doubt drive many people out. Peace & Sunshine from aniseedlines.
    Welcome to eBid Aniseedlines! I hope you will let your old customers know you are over here - that seems to be helping most of the newbies coming from there.
    If you need any help getting started give us a shout and we will be happy to assist. You might want to look at using Google Checkout here too - cheaper than PayPoo.
    Just one note, we tend to use what looks like silly names - feebay, paypoo - but it is because using the actual name bring all the ads for them to this site, which we are trying to avoid!
    Again welcome. And good luck.

Default Another Newbie

Hi everyone, I am another newbie to eBid. Like others I have listed on eBay for years and will not find it viable anymore. I sell mostly books and 7" vinyl records. Most sell at around 99p - £2.00 so that's the problem!!!

I have signed up with a lifetime membership and just started listing after my annual holiday.

I will be listing stuff most days.

Cheers for now Mel

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Welcome and good luck!

Forum Newbie
    Dumfriesshire, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
    View stevemaggs2727's Feedback (+2)
    All-About stevemaggs2727
    View stevemaggs2727's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile Listing Books!

Hi I've not long joined eBid and will be listing as many books as I can (Mainly Military) but it all takes time. I've got a few hundred to put on. All were listed on Ebay, and, as it seems, they longer require me I'm listing my books as they end on Ebay. I can sell them a little cheaper here too- good for me and my customers!

Hope I enjoy my time on here as much as I did on Ebay (when I first started that is), though hope eBid do not continually strive to change things every month like Ebay do!!!!! Looking forward to being part of the eBid community, so a big hi to you all.
    Steve.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Welcome aboard! The more book sellers the merrier - since we're not wanted elsewhere I'm all for making this the place people look for their next read

Quote Originally Posted by klj View Post
    Agree with you there Hazel - think we are seeing more booksellers here for that reason, also agree about the size of new hardbacks. When did they jump in size? It seems like a couple of years ago they were 'normal' and now they are jumbo.

Why not try listing your Nicholas and Alexandra here - even with the cost of postage, there are collectors and other readers that also like hardbacks, and people who just love books, and they all know what it costs to post and often are willing to pay it. After all, what have you got to lose by giving it a shot?
    I know, I can't understand why the books have got so big, there isn't any reason for it, those little Oxford hardbacks have just as much story or literature in them, and they're about an 1/8th of the size.

I might list the Nicholas and Alexandra one anyway (A Lifelong Passion) the 15p one seems to have sold, and the others are all US sellers (charging the dizzying heights of £1.60ish) so I might be able to sell it to someone who doesn't want to wait, or doesn't want an ex-library book. When I've read it of course....

Does anyone else have this problem? Wanting to read half the books that come through?

Thread Information