eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: No increase in book and magazine listings

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

If everyone's listing like mad and the totals aren't going up...then surely that means that books are selling as fast as they are being listed...????

Charity shops selling s/h books for 20p or not much more on every High Street has sort of set a ceiling on people's perception when it comes to buying s/h books.

I've got stacks of books i could list but it would break me heart to see them go for such low prices.

Found this thread v informative though thanks to the OP's own listings..... must remember to keep an eye out for these Kennel Club magazines......boy do they retain a value!...........bear that in mind on my next rummage at a jumble sale.

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GilfidianRudge View Post
    Charity shops selling s/h books for 20p or not much more on every High Street has sort of set a ceiling on people's perception when it comes to buying s/h books.

I've got stacks of books i could list but it would break me heart to see them go for such low prices.

Found this thread v informative though thanks to the OP's own listings..... must remember to keep an eye out for these Kennel Club magazines......boy do they retain a value!...........bear that in mind on my next rummage at a jumble sale.
    I think the thing that has people willing to pay a bit more for books online is the difference between being able to search for a title you want (online) and just hoping it's going to be in the charity shop.
    The charity shop is great if you just want to look for any old book to read; but if you are looking for a particular author or title it's impossible, takes numerous trips, and often has you heading into the new book stores and paying full retail.
    But type in a title and author you want here on eBid and there you are. Worth a bit more than the charity shop, plus you save the cost of transport to the shops, and no danger of paying retail.

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

The last time i bought a book from a charity shop..it had bugs on it..like small white flees..ahh..never again...ill stick to searching and buying via ebid..

Quote Originally Posted by stitchysyl View Post
    If everyone's listing like mad and the totals aren't going up...then surely that means that books are selling as fast as they are being listed...????
    Mine are selling, just not here .

For the last couple of weeks I've been removing around 9 a day, since my last upload and I'm still removing 4-5 a day.

Quote Originally Posted by GilfidianRudge View Post
    I wish,
    paperbacks in the main large charity shops in this area,
    (Oxfam, British Heart Foundation, Mind, Sue Ryder,) range between £1.50 & £2.50, most of the others charge 75p to £1.50, only in the smaller local charities or the bargain bin will you find 50p or under.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was just in Oxfam and found the average price for paperbacks to be £3.00!!

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

My local Oxfam (for a value of local when I'm at best-beloved's!) has just separated out their books and started a whole new book shop... I didn't think they could charge any more than they already were, but it seems I was wrong!

Smile

I`m a new seller on Ebid and I just started listing some vintage magazines this week. No sales yet, and only very few views but I remain hopeful ) If a few of these sell, I`ll put more up, Ive got quite a few more up in the loft lol. Ive been a magazine junkie nearly all my life.
    Last edited by neverchucksowtaway; 25th July 2008 at 01:21 PM.

Forum Lurker
    View cruellady's Feedback (+42)
    All-About cruellady
    View cruellady's Listings
    Forum Posts

'If we build it, they will come.' Cool name btw, Neverchucks!

bykimbo - likewise here in Edinburgh, Oxfam have a separate bookshop - I eavesdropped on a manager training a new assistant recently who was saying, 'We're educating folk that if you're buying for charity, you can't get a good quality read for 10p - that's what that's for.' (pointing dismissively at a wire bargain bin full of airport paperbacks marked 3 for £1). So there we have it ...

Cru
    x
    Last edited by cruellady; 25th July 2008 at 03:57 AM.

Thread Information