Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AVG virus protection Causing BROWSER BLOCK - Work Around

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

In plain English, some software programmers at a company called Grisoft have created a new version of some popular software that is causing havoc throughout the internet.

It is causing millions of extra hits to be made to websites all over the world including eBid. These extra hits are affecting the performance of many websites, eBid included.

We have banned this software from hitting our site to keep eBid stable. Some legitimate users are also being caught in the trap we have set for the nuisance software. These users can upgrade to IE7 using the Start > Programs > Windows Update option or preferably install Firefox from http://www.getfirefox.com

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Loughborough, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    View sparklybits's Feedback (+5050)
    All-About sparklybits
    View sparklybits's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default not relisting again ?

my listings are not relisting they are just sitting there is this any thing to do with whats going on ? they are not in unsold and they ended hours ago ?

If you use AVG you can contact their technical support team
    (needs registration key)
    http://www.avg.co.uk/uk.support-technical
    & complain.

If you don't use it a complaint via their sales form,
    http://www.avg.co.uk/uk.110 may work.

They also have a UK fax number on their website.

Non UK contact details
    http://www.avg.co.uk/uk.contacts#tba2
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

oh well i give up i don`t have ie6 on any comps but still get page cannot be displayed i have sent screenshots etc. i use different browsers , so i have to just live with this ?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    In plain English, some software programmers at a company called Grisoft have created a new version of some popular software that is causing havoc throughout the internet.

It is causing millions of extra hits to be made to websites all over the world including eBid. These extra hits are affecting the performance of many websites, eBid included.

We have banned this software from hitting our site to keep eBid stable. Some legitimate users are also being caught in the trap we have set for the nuisance software. These users can upgrade to IE7 using the Start > Programs > Windows Update option or preferably install Firefox from http://www.getfirefox.com

Gazza
    Gazza, is it possible to change the access forbidden message, to give this information?

Something like,

Sorry, due to circumstances beyond our control, our site is currently not available to some IE6 users.
    To access www.eBid.net please try using, IE7, firefox or Safari.
    We are working to rectify this situation, thank you for your patience.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

HI , I must be very lucky ....I said on a similar post , I use avg 8 , ad-aware 2007, windows defender , and spy bot...with no problems....Papa.

Quote Originally Posted by papagran40 View Post
    HI , I must be very lucky ....I said on a similar post , I use avg 8 , ad-aware 2007, windows defender , and spy bot...with no problems....Papa.
    Using AVG on your computer isn't stopping YOU from using eBid, BUT it may be stopping other people Papa.

As an extreme instance, you google eBid.net
    if you wanted to visit the site you would click on ONE link & go to the eBid page. That would be 1 hit.

But if you have the new AVG installed, EVERY LINK to eBid net on that page (even IF you don't click on any of them) will hit the site with a BOGUS "somebody is looking at the site", just as if YOU had clicked on EVERY link.

That many bogus hits is more than the eBid servers can cope with & has made the site unstable. That's why eBid have had to block the version of IE6 that AVG is pretending to be.

Each time eBid have removed that restriction, the site goes flaky for everyone, so they've had to re-introduce it.
    Gothicina.

My Stores

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you for the contact information for AVG, Gothicina. I managed to submit a request to fix AVG to them. it was a little difficult since i use the free version of AVG but did get through to them. Entering a 30 digit key accurately is an exercise in patience and probably good for the soul.

Also I deleted a thread i had started in another section of the forum, so that repetitive question asking is gone!
    Last edited by TexasAda; 27th June 2008 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    Gazza, is it possible to change the access forbidden message, to give this information?

Something like,

Sorry, due to circumstances beyond our control, our site is currently not available to some IE6 users.
    To access www.eBid.net please try using, IE7, firefox or Safari.
    We are working to rectify this situation, thank you for your patience.
    That's a really good idea. At least it would let people know what was happening.

Really miffed number one son came home and has told me that we haven't even got this AVG thing on our computer ! At least I now know I'm not contributing to the problem! I feel like I've had my identity stolen - how dare this wretched thing pretend to be me and other eBidders!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    I feel like I've had my identity stolen - how dare this wretched thing pretend to be me and other eBidders!!!
    dont worry cornish it hasn't stolen your identity it is just using the same browser signature (from my very limited knowlege) it is along the lines of you being a member of xyz bank... everyone at that branch has the same sort code but not the same account number. in this case the sort code is Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1).

so basically gazza is saying anyone with that sort code is barred from using the branch as it has to many members and the "staff" cant cope with the workload (I do hope that makes sense )

Thread Information