Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: FreeSat HD TV service - what's all that about then?

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question FreeSat HD TV service - what's all that about then?

I keep hearing about it (but not in Curry's, strangely enough ), and last night an information advert stated that it may soon be built-in to TV's, so is this the replacement for Freeview already? Seems it's a free HD service, but I don't know quite what it's about or what hardware would be involved (I'd imagine a satellite dish, as it's called freeSAT?)

With Plasma TV's being phased out and LCD being superseded by a new technology that's supposedly far superior (I forget what it's called now), seems like now is not the time to be buying a new TV set..
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Not a replacement for freeview, its replacing sky's contracting service, where you get a package which comes through a satalite dish but instead of paying a monthly subscripition you get it for free - hench freesat (freesatalite)

see this site for details

www.freesatfromsky.co.uk

Some people still cannot get the Freeview signal. Freesat offers the same channels - plus a few extras - which arrive via a sat dish instead of the regular aerial. It is NOT a replacement for the Freeview system, it is an addition to it.

However, once the change over has been completed and analog TV signals are switched off, the powers that be have said that the Freeview signal will be boosted and many people who cannot currently receive it will be able to do so afterwards.

However, once the change over has been completed and analog TV signals are switched off, the powers that be have said that the Freeview signal will be boosted and many people who cannot currently receive it will be able to do so afterwards.
    That was certainly the "received wisdom" as far as I was concerned. However, someone "in the know" I was speaking to recently said they won't be able to boost the signal much because it will interfere with services provided by the new commercial users of the analogue TV frequencies . Also, in the south there are International agreements limiting transmitter power because of interference risk to the near continent.
    Visit my eBid shop :-
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/evingartrading-store-1

Electronic components.
    Clock subsystems.
    The Biodiesel Manual - A guide to the home manufacture of Biodiesel.
    Power Supply Units (PSU's)
    Various electro mechanical assemblies.

Quote Originally Posted by evingartrading View Post
    Also, in the south there are International agreements limiting transmitter power because of interference risk to the near continent.
    AIUI, the timing of our switch over coincides with the same thing happening in Europe so that this problem will not occur.

With this system you will be able to receive the free hd channels.
    What you wont get is all the sky sports channels without paying more.
    To be honest im not over empressed with digital hopefully the sound will
    be improved in the future.
    Last edited by BAGHAG999; 10th June 2008 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    AIUI, the timing of our switch over coincides with the same thing happening in Europe so that this problem will not occur.
    Yes I think that is the case, but I'm guessing that the vacated frequencies will be re-utilised as they will be in the UK.
    Visit my eBid shop :-
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/evingartrading-store-1

Electronic components.
    Clock subsystems.
    The Biodiesel Manual - A guide to the home manufacture of Biodiesel.
    Power Supply Units (PSU's)
    Various electro mechanical assemblies.

All-About heatemyfather
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evingartrading View Post
    Yes I think that is the case, but I'm guessing that the vacated frequencies will be re-utilised as they will be in the UK.
    Curious thought. AFAIK one frequency typically carries several digital channels, which is why several channels can be blocky while others are OK (sometimes C5 or ITV Analogue goes a bit snowy, which is when the digital channels on that frequency will be crap). I had just assumed that those frequencies would still be owned by the same TV companies and simply no longer used, or maybe used for a future HD signal over Freeview (if that's possible).
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces

All-About heatemyfather
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Some people still cannot get the Freeview signal. Freesat offers the same channels - plus a few extras - which arrive via a sat dish instead of the regular aerial. It is NOT a replacement for the Freeview system, it is an addition to it.
    Ah, I see. So soon enough people will have a free Sky+ type of service, cool. I have the Humax 9200TB Freeview recorder which is excellent - has twin tuners, chasing playback, pause live TV, all the stuff they brag about with Sky+. A very nice box, very easy to use too. Black one is £20 cheaper than the silver one in Comet, don't ask me why!

Thread Information