eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: GTA IV - your thoughts?

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up GTA IV - your thoughts?

I've been playing the game for a couple of weeks, enjoying the improvements in graphics detail, smooth frame rate and the way the game works - it feels much more like a real environment compared to the previous games, from the way the cars handle to little things like being able to pick up a discarded cup and throw it at people! I also love the familiar GTA humour, the things ordinary people say and do, how they react to your crazy driving, and also things on the radio. Really like the addition of the TV too, Ricky Jervais doing stand-up! Oh and the knife commercial too

I've just acquired the second safe house so please don't be telling me any spoilers beyond that point.

There are some things that annoy me though.. like the way I had to turn the brightness right up and adjust the contrast just so that I could see what was happening at night! The game is SO dark in the shadows, it's really difficult to see what's going on sometimes. I'm running it on my old CRT telly so that could be something to do with it, the game still looks mighty impressive even in standard def!
    Not sure but I'm positive I saw a screen shot where the windscreen was broken and the view through it was partially obscured by the cracked glass, but the in-car view seems to actually be as if my head was poking through the windscreen, which I find rather odd.

Anyway, a great game with loads of stuff to do and discover, worth every penny!
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

I looooooove this game, im taking my time with it though as i dont want to complete it to soon.

Just to let fellow fans know that i am selling GTA4 T shirts in my shop here (shameless plug,lol)

All-About heatemyfather
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroboutique View Post
    I looooooove this game, im taking my time with it though as i dont want to complete it to soon.

Just to let fellow fans know that i am selling GTA4 T shirts in my shop here (shameless plug,lol)
    I'm taking my time too, although I've noticed that more functionality comes to the game with certain key missions so it's well worth progressing the story line.

Nice t-shirts btw! Are they proper screen printed ones, do you make them yourself? Would be nice to have some info like this and how many washes they'll survive etc on your About Me page.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces

They are HQ heat press transfers, washing instructions are provided also

Forum Newbie
    All-About coolstuff01
    View coolstuff01's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've always enjoyed playing GTA. I like the fact that u dont really have to do the mission unless u want to...you can just run around the city and act like an idiot :-P

All-About heatemyfather
    Forum Posts

Lately I have been mega-impressed by the vistas one gets once you open up the main island (Algonquin, I think it's called), looking down the long main streets to the other side of the city and the sky scrapers in the distance which are in a sort of blue haze, the way the light hits buildings at different times of the day, the street lighting and little details such as steam rising from manhole covers that actually is swooshed away when a car goes by.

Great game!

Forum Lurker
    View nemo14444's Feedback (+1)
    All-About nemo14444
    View nemo14444's Listings
    Forum Posts

game is okay not AS good as San andreas, and i completed the game in 23hrs

All-About heatemyfather
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nemo14444 View Post
    game is okay not AS good as San andreas, and i completed the game in 23hrs
    Anybody can complete the set missions in a game like this, but to fully explore everywhere (properly, on foot), that would take months! I would be interested to know whether you actually found all the flying rats yourself or if you used a cheat sheet.

Default Gta iv

I've now completed all missions - only took me 16hrs to complete it, done the vigilante missions too. Just can't understand why I can't obtain the police uniform though or steal the train so I can drive it to the station which is constantly shut. Also I noticed that if you drive the buses on it you never seem to pick up passengers at the bus stops nor can you board the buses as a passenger either.

There is no way at all that anyone is ever going to find all those pigeons on their own. Some of them are in such obscure, ridiculous places.

Really fun game though. Exploring on a motorbike is different from exploring by car, so it's almost like having two different cities to explore.

I like the fact that there are set missions and voluntary missions, as well as the tasks of keeping a social life and all friends happy.

I did find it restrictive in that I can't choose what to say to people. I would have liked to tell my first GF to get lost really early on when it was obvious she was 5-oh.

All in all, it's a great game and one of the very few that makes me glad to have a 360.

Thread Information