My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: A few things I think may help with promoting our Ebid Sites

Smile A few things I think may help with promoting our Ebid Sites

First, I am new and am very thrilled that such a place exists which will certainly become the number one auction site very soon.

I think, as with every business, it is up to us to collectively promote our business in the exact same way as we would do if our site was just an independent store online or on a street in some city. It is up to us to bring people in the doors.

One thing that I think may help is a worldwide campaign where for a small fee eBid gives each individual seller promotional material such as a large postcard, or business card or a flyer in which one side will have only eBid's logo and tag line and on the other side each individual store selling their stuff but very cleverly making it known in the advert to "come to eBid...where savvy shoppers shop" or some other tag line whatever that may be.

Also, there are soooooo many free classified ads online. Why not take advantage of the two biggest ones: Craigslist and Kijiji (which unfortunately have Feebay hands in both these venues - but, regardless). Everyone should make simple ads with the eBid logo somewhere and a link back to your store or to your auction. Think about that! You are cruising the classifieds looking to buy something and you "constantly" see "BUY IT AT EBID" over and over again. Power of suggestion. They say, if the brain sees something seven times familiarity gets created. Also, after the 64th time, the person is more than likely to make a positive response.

We need to constantly point people back via other venues also...many people in here suggested Facebook, Myspace etc...very good. There are way more things we can do. Others suggested electronic signatures in their emails. Great. More....???

Also, each individual can keep on posting up and handing out their own business cards or other advertising material often - making sure that the eBid logo is always somewhat front and center. Don't forget we are eBid. We are part of the brand. When you move into the Trump Tower, you are not living in just a suite in Manhattan. You are living in Donald Trumps world. In his brand. It's a different ballgame. WE ARE EBID!

Another thing we should collectively do is write a book and get it published with a title along the lines of "Selling on eBid" etc... I bet that even the "Books for Dummies" people would release it. Not only will people buy the book but that book will create intrigue for people looking at ways to sell online. Why should eBay be the only option? People, whether buyers or sellers, will remark that "oh, there is another option". And, when the books hit the shelves, that, in and of itself is advertising.

One of the cheapest forms of advertising for a large company like eBid is to maybe take out TV adverts at night time...very very very late in the evening. Alot of commerce takes place at night with all those infomercials running so why not ad some intrigue for eBid. People will remember. People will get online and see what the eBid commercial was all about. People will talk about the TV ad the next day. "Hey, do you know anything about eBid?", they'll be asking their friends.

Let's do this people!

Let's make the executives at Feebay aware of the fact that David may indeed topple Goliath very soon.

I wish you all well

Bill Alexander
    BILL ALEXANDER NUMISMATICS
    Beautiful banknotes from around the world.

http://ca.nine.ebid.net/stores/Bill-...der-Numismatix

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillAlexander View Post
    First, I am new and am very thrilled that such a place exists which will certainly become the number one auction site very soon.

I think, as with every business, it is up to us to collectively promote our business in the exact same way as we would do if our site was just an independent store online or on a street in some city. It is up to us to bring people in the doors.

One thing that I think may help is a worldwide campaign where for a small fee eBid gives each individual seller promotional material such as a large postcard, or business card or a flyer in which one side will have only eBid's logo and tag line and on the other side each individual store selling their stuff but very cleverly making it known in the advert to "come to eBid...where savvy shoppers shop" or some other tag line whatever that may be.

Also, there are soooooo many free classified ads online. Why not take advantage of the two biggest ones: Craigslist and Kijiji (which unfortunately have Feebay hands in both these venues - but, regardless). Everyone should make simple ads with the eBid logo somewhere and a link back to your store or to your auction. Think about that! You are cruising the classifieds looking to buy something and you "constantly" see "BUY IT AT EBID" over and over again. Power of suggestion. They say, if the brain sees something seven times familiarity gets created. Also, after the 64th time, the person is more than likely to make a positive response.

We need to constantly point people back via other venues also...many people in here suggested Facebook, Myspace etc...very good. There are way more things we can do. Others suggested electronic signatures in their emails. Great. More....???

Also, each individual can keep on posting up and handing out their own business cards or other advertising material often - making sure that the eBid logo is always somewhat front and center. Don't forget we are eBid. We are part of the brand. When you move into the Trump Tower, you are not living in just a suite in Manhattan. You are living in Donald Trumps world. In his brand. It's a different ballgame. WE ARE EBID!

Another thing we should collectively do is write a book and get it published with a title along the lines of "Selling on eBid" etc... I bet that even the "Books for Dummies" people would release it. Not only will people buy the book but that book will create intrigue for people looking at ways to sell online. Why should eBay be the only option? People, whether buyers or sellers, will remark that "oh, there is another option". And, when the books hit the shelves, that, in and of itself is advertising.

One of the cheapest forms of advertising for a large company like eBid is to maybe take out TV adverts at night time...very very very late in the evening. Alot of commerce takes place at night with all those infomercials running so why not ad some intrigue for eBid. People will remember. People will get online and see what the eBid commercial was all about. People will talk about the TV ad the next day. "Hey, do you know anything about eBid?", they'll be asking their friends.

Let's do this people!

Let's make the executives at Feebay aware of the fact that David may indeed topple Goliath very soon.

I wish you all well

Bill Alexander
    Hi Bill welcome.....I think you'll find a lot of these ideas are already being used by some of us Older members (sadly Like life there are people that will do it and people who will just sit back (moan) and do nothing but take the credit when thins go well). I myself invested in Tape measures (Which I can stick my own webpage on With a direct link to ebid) and Pens which I included in sales over on Thiefbay. It seems to be working as I have had several customers come over from there to here and my sales are growing slowly.

When Myself ,Merlin and NYKmedia got together and started bouncing ideas around one of the things that came out of that session was this WHOLE forum for ideas to promote Ebid.....
    Last edited by Rednosty; 24th May 2008 at 08:29 AM.

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think the Craigslist idea is new.. is it really that simple?
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Cool

Thank you Rednosty and Madelaine for you responses.

Rednosty...thanks for the tips on the other promotional items you invested in. True, as you said some will do something about it, while others will do nothing.

Madelaine...if you go to Craigslist, in your city or even in other cities, you can create a free ad with a redirection to eBid of course that entices people to look in the first place.

I used to sell hard to find music CD's without even a website online and I made quite a few sales. The only thing is, like Rednosty said is that one must pursue their sales in order to gain sales.

I bet that if you list some items on Craigslist, on a very often basis, you will get some buzz going for your products.

Bill Alexander
    BILL ALEXANDER NUMISMATICS
    Beautiful banknotes from around the world.

http://ca.nine.ebid.net/stores/Bill-...der-Numismatix

That's a good idea.

There's free listing at quite a lot of places.

Like Loot as well.
    http://www.loot.com/

and the FridayAd
    http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/

Loot rejected my ads, Rednosty was able to add some.
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=94631

Free Ad sites
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=94968

Reviews
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=94962

Online directories
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=94985

These threads were started last year, could probably do with some "New Blood" taking part, not sure if all the sites listed are still going now.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 25th May 2008 at 04:18 AM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Forum Lurker
    View zapit65's Feedback (+57)
    All-About zapit65
    View zapit65's Listings
    Forum Posts

Could someone give some examples of ads they have placed on Cragslist? Including subject line. For instance do you just advertise one item or do you do a more general ad for your store?

Thanks.

View morgana77's Feedback (+12)
    All-About morgana77
    View morgana77's Listings
    Forum Posts

You actually cannot advertise your auctions on Craigslist frequently. The point of CL is the local community and they don't like to see the auctions where the buyer has to pay for the shipping. There is a trick to that, but I haven't found it yet (i think you can advertise in services category or something like that) A friend of mine had her ad attempts pulled out couple of times cause other people report it immediately
    Maybe someone can clear the CL rules for posting these kind of things?
    morgana77
    www.marhababambinas.blogspot.com

Handknit gloves and wrist warmers - check my Adoption fundraising store Knitter's Attic

OP - You do know you can download a variety of eBid logos and use them on your computer to make labels, ads, stickers, etc?

I know it only works on a local level but I have a teeshirt with my store logo on the front (with the eBid logo) and I wear it when I go in the town and market to shop.

A nice eBid member sells them!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Forum Lurker
    View barneysam2's Feedback (+42)
    All-About barneysam2
    View barneysam2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up Great Post

Quote Originally Posted by BillAlexander View Post

Let's do this people!

I wish you all well

Bill Alexander
    You, Mr. Bill Alexander are one very smart man. Great post!!

Thread Information