Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading at the moment

All-About jigger
    View jigger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Reading another installment of the Aunt Dimity series, Aunt Dimity slays a Dragon. The first book in the series is Aunt Dimity Dies. Lots of fun!

All-About jigger
    View jigger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    Just started last night : The scene of the crime by John Creasey and if it is anything like the others I have read I will not be disappointed
    Those are wonderful. I read all the Inspector West books.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I finished the Inspector West this morning and was not disappointed. So now I have decided to read The Saint Closes The Case by Leslie Charteris. Never read any before though have seen them in TV. It'll be interesting to see how SimonTemplar does on the written page

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Finishing re-reading Look to the Lady by Margery Allingham (a Campion book). Love her stuff, it's so genteel and whimsical, but with cracking plots. Next will be either The Cat Who Said Cheese, or Full Dark House - both bought either from or due to contributors to this thread, thank you.

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Looking through this thread you can see why the thrillers and whodunnits are such big sellers, there's an awful lot of us read them!
    Aren't there? I've noticed the same thing. Either a popular genre, or "we" talk more about our books.

View CrazyJay's Feedback (+149)
    All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm currently reading a book of Short Stories by Steve Morris. It's brilliant for commuting. I have written a review of it for Amazon.

--------------------------------------------------------------

IN ALL PROBABILITY - By Steve Morris

This book is a collection of short stories by Steve Morris. In his opening statement he makes it quite clear that these tales are all about normal people, like you and me, who are thrust into less than normal situations. “The World does not revolve around heroes he says “ It revolves around normal people.

As a regular commuter and avid reader, this collection is perfect for me. By reading short stories on the journeys to and from work I get the satisfaction of reading the whole tale and not be left waiting for the rest of the day to pick up the story part way through a chapter as so often happens.

Steves style of writing puts the reader at ease, as I am sure everybody will be able to relate to most of the characters, and the circumstances they are faced with. Apart from the first story, I found that I could identify either myself or somebody I know with all the following tales. Each time thinking, “this one could be about me or my lifestyle Only to find the next one was even closer. I will not go into specific detail about each story, and you will understand why when you know the basic premise of them, I will however say that anybody who remembers the Old TV series “Roald Dahls - Tales Of The Unexpected”, and the accompanying books will not be disappointed.

I have not yet finished reading the book, so cannot propose a personal favorite, although so far , ‘All Around Us’ appeals due to my interest in photography, and I find myself identifying with the feelings of the character in ‘My Tune’ the most.

I would whole heartedly recommend this book to anybody who enjoys reading. Especially if like me you often find yourself with limited reading time. You may see reviews that suggest that all of the stories have an unfortunate or unhappy ending for the central character, and in some instances this is true, but certainly not in all. All you can expect, is the unexpected.
    --------------------------------------------

Of course, I'm also involved with writing at the moment - (hence not being so active here for a while.)

I hope to get a few signed copies of Steves book, and will put a couple of them up for sale here.

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

TOY-PALLOI - For all sorts of traditional playthings!

THE PAPERBOYS PLEASURE - For Books & Magazines

OUT ON THE FLOOR - For Records - (mainly 1950's - 60's)

VIEWPOINT - Photographic Equipment

THE SCRAPYARD - Spare parts for old cars and bikes

Forum Saint
    View penny291's Feedback (+1190)
    All-About penny291
    View penny291's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have just fininshed The Business by Martina Cole, love her books even though sometimes I cringe, will probably read a more gentle book next, like Stephen King or Dean Koontzanother two of my favourite writers and I love Jean Plaidy and Antonia Fraser among others, My daughter pennysgirl will be listing the Business later on this evening I think.

All-About jigger
    View jigger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Really into Robert Barnard's Killings on Jubilee Terrace. It's a soap opera murder, the characters are just as bad as the soaps characters

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just finished The Cat Who Said Cheese, which I thoroughly enjoyed. These can be a wee bit variable, with the stuff post-2000 being less good in my view, but this one's a Braun-at-her-best number. Great fun - I thoroughly enjoyed working out what Koko was trying to communicate before Qwill did!

Next, Christopher Fowler's Full Dark House, the first Bryant & May Mystery. There's a special pleasure in a) trying a new author and b) reading a nice condition hardback, so looking forward to this.
    Last edited by bykimbo; 9th June 2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typo!

View earthangel's Feedback (+29)
    All-About earthangel
    View earthangel's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm close to finishing A Stillness At Appomattox by Bruce Catton, a Pulitzer Prize-winning account of the last year of the American civil war.
    Please visit my eBid stores
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Elandale
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Chapter-One-Collectables

"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy" - Henry Kissinger

Thread Information