Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 25 of 98 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by wizbooks View Post
    I'm waiting for the 5th book, but it won't be out until October.
    I'm waiting for that one, too. We may be selling some of our books eventually, but Martin's books are keepers. The kind I go back and read again every few years. In my spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I'm waiting for that one, too. We may be selling some of our books eventually, but Martin's books are keepers. The kind I go back and read again every few years. In my spare time.
    We find it hard to part with our books which is why our collection stands at around 2000.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

Back to the history now, with "Jane Boleyn, the Infamous Lady Rochford" by Julia Fox.

I don't know why she felt the need to add that to the title, but there we go, have to try and make it seem exciting somehow I suppose. It is a very interesting biography of the wife of George Boleyn, Queen Anne Boleyn's brother, and a lady whom history has been less than charitable about, crediting her with telling the lies that allowed him and his sister to be charged and convicted of incest, leading to their deaths on the block; she is also alleged to have been complicit in the adultery of Queen Catherine Howard - and was convicted and beheaded alongside her in 1542.

This book is supposed to put the record straight. It's very interesting, although the writing style is a bit too novel-like for my taste, every fact is true and researched but there are linking parts that the author cannot possibly know for certain (people's feelings and such). I don't know why she has tried to popularise this book, it's unlikely that anyone would pick it up who hasn't heard of Lady Rochford, and those that do are going to want a real history book. Just my opinion.

I suppose I should be grateful someone has written this book at all, and are trying to popularise history for the masses .

Quote Originally Posted by SalusLibrorum View Post
    Back to the history now, with "Jane Boleyn, the Infamous Lady Rochford" by Julia Fox.

I don't know why she felt the need to add that to the title, but there we go, have to try and make it seem exciting somehow I suppose. It is a very interesting biography of the wife of George Boleyn, Queen Anne Boleyn's brother, and a lady whom history has been less than charitable about, crediting her with telling the lies that allowed him and his sister to be charged and convicted of incest, leading to their deaths on the block; she is also alleged to have been complicit in the adultery of Queen Catherine Howard - and was convicted and beheaded alongside her in 1542.

This book is supposed to put the record straight. It's very interesting, although the writing style is a bit too novel-like for my taste, every fact is true and researched but there are linking parts that the author cannot possibly know for certain (people's feelings and such). I don't know why she has tried to popularise this book, it's unlikely that anyone would pick it up who hasn't heard of Lady Rochford, and those that do are going to want a real history book. Just my opinion.

I suppose I should be grateful someone has written this book at all, and are trying to popularise history for the masses .
    Used to live in Rochford.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

Quote Originally Posted by SalusLibrorum View Post

I read this book a few months ago and can agree that it does read too much like a novel, in fact as nice that someone has actually done a biography about Jane, there wasn't much that I learned from it that already wasn't written in other tudor history books. What also annoyed me was that the front cover was actually a picture of Jane Seymour! GRRRRRRR!
    Mini rant over

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchybubbles View Post
    I read this book a few months ago and can agree that it does read too much like a novel, in fact as nice that someone has actually done a biography about Jane, there wasn't much that I learned from it that already wasn't written in other tudor history books. What also annoyed me was that the front cover was actually a picture of Jane Seymour! GRRRRRRR!
    Mini rant over
    I have to admit that though they left off the head of the lady on the front cover (which I thought a bit tasteless actually considering what happened to the subject of the book) I thought the picture on the cover didn't look right at all - and that's clearly why. I was thinking to myself that it was part of a very famous painting, wasn't Jane Boleyn and was vaguely annoying me, I didn't attempt to consider who it is, although my brain has been filling in the rest of the picture, lol.

I wonder what made them do that? They must have known that it would have been identified, that portrait is so famous the whole world knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbooks View Post
    Used to live in Rochford.
    I still work there
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm reading 'My Awakening' by David Duke

It's really opened my eyes to a lot of things that have changed in the UK.

Better not go into details as I'll probably get reported

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm reading The White Lioness by Henning Mankell, a Kurt Wallander mystery. I watched the Branagh short series of Wallander programmes, and the programme the did about making the programmes -- they really know how to milk an idea these days -- and thought I might enjoy the Wallander stuff. I expect it to be grittier than my usual light-hearted whodunnits, but extremely well written. I'm only about twenty pages in so far, but it's excellent thus far. Fingers crossed!

Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
    View giftableonebid's Feedback (+17)
    All-About giftableonebid
    View giftableonebid's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am too busy trying to open a bookshop to read a book!
    Best wishes...
    Giftable on eBid

Thread Information