My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP Service Pack 3 horror story

I think it may be a month before it does the updates automatically, hopefully by then Microsoft will have a fix for the problem.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    I think it may be a month before it does the updates automatically, hopefully by then Microsoft will have a fix for the problem.
    Thanks - I was going to take it off automatic updates otherwise. Thanks again for the warning.

I was lucky I guess. Downloaded and installed without a hitch! Running dual core pentium. Its a big update. Goes through every file on your machine. I think alot of people don't close down all their running programs when installing. Could be an issue. Mind you if you ever seen how many programs run in the background of your pc, you'ld be astonished!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    Aaargh........ I have an AMD processor
    I installed SP3 on an AMD system running XP with no problems. I was told to install Hotfix KB953356 first though to prevent problems with AMD processors.

You can get that here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/

Forum Lurker
    View GCTSpares's Feedback (+2)
    All-About GCTSpares
    View GCTSpares's Listings
    Forum Posts

Automatic update on mine - left it to run for a while. It did reboot. Afterwards thoght the pc wasn't running so well so I checked the disk - don't know whether it was the update but the disk needed defragmenting, did that and all OK now.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

I downloaded the self-contained install package from the Microsoft website for installation to my work laptop (a fairly old Compaq), it installed straight away with no trouble at all. I always prefer to download updates as packages that I can install at my leisure, in case they go wrong I can always try again without another long and costly download (costly to my monthly bandwidth). Also, I can then install on any machine without needing internet access.

As you say, Microsoft's record with reliability and stability are not impressive, just another reason for me to hate their guts.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I installed SP3 on an AMD system running XP with no problems. I was told to install Hotfix KB953356 first though to prevent problems with AMD processors.

You can get that here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/
    Arrrgh! I am writing this from my work computer as I thought I had left it long enough to download service pack 3 - but my pc (HP with AMD) hung on very last part of install (performing cleanup) and as a result when I resatarted it - it informed me it was missing a file (one of many I suspect) and Windows couldn't start. As a result it is now in the repair shop and will cost me good money to get fixed!

Why haven't they fixed this problem yet??

Service Pack 3 installed on my AMD machine without problems as well.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

picking up pc from repair shop tomorrow - they got it working but advised I got a new hard drive as they thought it was on the way out. Also reckoned I needed a bit more ram - total bill - £90!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mcblob View Post
    absolute rip off, and I think they are trying to get you to spend more money somehow

If your happy with the speed as it is, then no need for more ram, as for hardrive, im sure a quick defrag will help a lot
    Reckon they had second thoughts as when I went to pay the bill it was only £75!

Working lovely now a you can see!

Thread Information