eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Service Pack 3 horror story

Default XP Service Pack 3 horror story

Just got this from another forum, you have been warned

Just thought I'd share my experience with the official SP3 update.

Initially I tried to apply as on every other occasion by going through the Windows online update, only to find that it 'hung' while 'running processes prior to instal'. I tried to cancel the instal only to find that it hung during the cancel process with no error messages forcing me to reboot. Upon reboot it tried to complete the instal/uninstal process but hung and wouldn't start Windows. I tried the usual approach of safe mode but it wouldn't start simply gave me a message about the incomplete installation..... aaargh! So, with no Windows I had to try a repair installation, only to find that half an hour in it simply rebooted with no error message!!!! Eventually, after using the recovery console and trying another repair installation I had my Windows back and tried again. This time I cancelled my firewall and antivirus before proceeding but the installation hung at the same place, although this time it was able to reboot successfully into Windows.

Not one to give up, I downloaded the 300+Mb of network installation just in case the connection was causing the problem. Again the installation hung in the same place. Eventually I rebooted, killed EVERY non essential process, including my webcam and vnc processes and this time the update went through without a hitch!

The machine has since been running fine, but I'm not impressed with the lack of meaningful error messages or the catastrophic failure of the cancellation process.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Think i will ignore that upgrade for at least a year till bugs ironed out.
    Maybe its better to send away for the disc to do it.

It auto-downloaded onto both my laptop and desktop. It installed in the background and didn't even ask for a reboot. It was so trouble free that I am wondering if it installed at all.

Meanwhile, Jesper Johansson, a prominent Windows blogger, has claimed that the problem only involves machines using AMD processors.

MORE
    So that may explain the discrepancy.

Aaargh........ I have an AMD processor
    Ken

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

After reading that link I would be interested in what PC you are running, Ken.

There is more about this here:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/micr...ss-reboots-too

I'm glad I'm on Linux

The latest I've read on this is it may be machines that had imaged hard drives, like Dell's, HP's where an image for an Intel processor was uploaded to an AMD machine. Apparently some conflict there. Should be OK on clean XP installs from disks.
    Ken

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Hi Ken

Thanks for the warning - I have an hp AMD PC - well loved circa 2003! (I keep updating it - more RAM and added in another hard drive and and a new dvd rewriter!) Guess that it looks that it will cause problems with me too. Does it come down automatically or do you have to go fetch? I am on automatic updates. Thanks!

Thread Information