eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Re changes to auction description width

View 3drom's Feedback (+57)
    All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    this stupidity has made this site look a joke there are auctions all over the place that look a mess IT WAS ALL DONE TO PLEASE A FEW WHINGERS WHO WOULD NOT JOIN BECAUSE THEY WOULD NOT PAY THE 3P TO ADD EXTRA IMAGES , IN OTHER WORDS EBID HAS LET DOWN IT`S LONG STANDING MEMBERS WHO HAVE HELPED BUILD THIS SITE ,
    It wasn't done to please a few whingers, it was done to make it easier for people to transfer auctions straight over from Ebay, which I presume is a good thing.

Can you show me some of the auctions that look a mess and I'll see if I can suggest how to fix the problems? They are unlikely to be very difficult.

All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nysablaze View Post
    #1 son has a suggestion.
    Why not set up so that there is a choice of using either the traditional (narrow) eBid template or the new wider version?
    Even if just as a stopgap for those who have items listed with templates set at the old width, giving time for them to get sorted or use to the new layout.
    Can you show me some auctions which look bad at the new width? I've been having a look around and all the ones I've found so far look fine, but obviously I haven't looked at them all.
    Last edited by 3drom; 30th April 2008 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3drom View Post
    But I can't see what's wrong with your listings at the moment - what problems did the larger width cause? I only ask because I presume that going from a small width to a large width would only mean that you had more space on each side of your original auctions, which shouldn't be a problem. What specifically is wrong with the look now? I'll try to help, I'm sure it can be easily fixed.
    Thanks for the offer - much appreciated.

I think the template looks daft with the masses of white space either side. I wouldn't want to just increase it without seeing a preview of how it would look with the new changes applied and whether to go for one large image placeholder or have 2 smaller ones side by side for front/back cover photos, how to best display the postage/payment fields etc..

It's something I'll go through with Gothicina when she's back but thanks anyway.

Rock, Pop, Indie, Dance and more CDs

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

It wasn't done to please a few whingers, it was done to make it easier for people to transfer auctions straight over from Ebay, which I presume is a good thing.

Can you show me some of the auctions that look a mess and I'll see if I can suggest how to fix the problems? They are unlikely to be very difficult.

WELL EXCUSE ME BUT I DO NOT USE SPREADSHEETS OR TEMPLATES I HARDLY USE ANY HTML ETC.

I LIKE MY AUCTION DESCRIPTIONS TO BE SHORT AND TO THE POINT , NOW I HAVE MASSES OF SPACE ON MOST OF MY AUCTIONS

IF THESE SO CALLED SELLERS ARE TO LAZY TO LIST EACH ITEM SINGULAR LIKE I HAVE DONE THEN THIS WAS CREATED FOR THE FEW WHINGERS , NO GETTING AROUND THIS IT IS FACT ,

THEREFORE EBID HAVE STRUNG IT`S LONG SERVING SELLERS OUT TO DRY

LOTS ON HERE ARE TOO SCARED TO SAY ANYTHING BUT TO ME THIS IS DOWNRIGHT DISGUSTING TO GIVE 2 HOURS NOTICE OF SUCH A BIG CHANGE I WILL BE PULLING MOST OF MY ITEMS OFF HERE AND SELLING ELSEWHERE ,

All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

THIS IS WHAT ABOUT 85% OF MY AUCTIONS ARE LIKE NOW

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...3-0&mo=auction

MASSIVE GAPS OF WHITE WHEREAS THEY WERE SET OUT WITH ONLY ONE OR TWO SPACES BEFORE

All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Merlin, thanks for showing me the problem.
    In your HTML code, you have this:

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>

This puts lots of empty paragraphs in between the first line of your auction, and the rest of the auction. That's what's causing the white space, was it not there yesterday when the auctions were at the smaller width? I would expect it to have still been there, because the HTML would have made lots of empty paragraphs and the width shouldn't have affected it at all.

If you change your code to something like this, it should work fine:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <title>Merlin</title>
    <style type="text/css">

h1 {
    font: bold 1.2em Arial, sans-serif;
    color: #000066;
    margin: 0 0 10px 0;
    }
    p {
    font: bold 0.9em Arial, sans-serif;
    color: #660000;
    margin: 0 0 4px 0;
    }
    </style>

</head>

<body>

<h1>
    new sony ericsson w810i crystal case protect your mobile from bumps and scratches
    </h1>
    <p>please note payments for outside uk postal charges maybe more please await invoice before sending any payments IF IN ANY DOUBT MESSAGE ME BEFORE BIDDING
    </p>
    <p>
    thank you
    </p>

</body>
    </html>

Just edit the bits at the bottom, like the title which is in between the <h1> </h1> tags, and the paragraphs, in between the <p> </p> tags, and it should fit fine.

All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

so i need to do this on over 1000 auctions

no thanks i have closed 3 shops and will list those items elsewhere i already stated i am not into all this html etc. i like plain description that buyers can read quickly and i think some of my text has vanished anyway

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't think that you're quite understanding what I'm saying. To me all auction pages look bad now. This may be a rather dramatic way of putting it but it's rather like taking a painting and slashing it with a razor (or perhaps someone of lesser skill painting in some detail on a grand master). It stands out, the integrity is destroyed. To my mind the people who did the site redesign last year did an excellent job. The site became 'cool' which is just another way of saying aesthetically pleasing, appealing. When I checked out my auctions after the change they all looked better than they had before. The current change has reversed all that.

As far as I can see all my old auctions are a write off, they will just have to stay looking bad (to be changed if and when). Actually I was asking Gothicina for some sort of template for future auctions that I could use to cancel out the changes as far as posible. A box to sit in the centre of the page to force the text back into easily recognisable blocks, along with a wide side border keyed into the site colours maybe. I can't see a solution to some problems e.g. I prefer picture and descriptive text to appear on the same screen as you scroll down the page. Postal details are now in the way, I'm sure they've moved.

I'm not a designer but I do have some suggestions for improvement:-
    1. Merge all three boxes on the auction page back together.
    2. Expand the bottom box to the same width as the description box.
    3. Adjust the border of the top 'picture' box so that it turns towards the page edge under the green 'Sell it on eBid' logo and runs down the edge of the page. The other side would do the same under the 'seller gallery' or whatever you want to call it.
    4. Move the shipping details sub box below item description.

It would look better, I think?

All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Merlin, was the gap not there yesterday? I can't understand how it would only appear once the width was changed, because the paragraph inserts a vertical space, and changing the width shouldn't make any difference.

If you edit the auction you showed me above, and insert my code instead, have a look and see what you think of the result. I know the HTML looks complicated, but you don't need to know what any of it means, just edit the heading and the description at the bottom, and it will work fine.

All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Dockerills, I understand where you're coming from now, you mean the look of the entire page, rather than just the auctions themselves.
    I've looked at lots of your auctions now and they look fine to me. I don't think it will make much difference to potential customers at all.

I think the auction page look could be improved too, but remember that everybody's auction appears on the same type of page, so nobody is at a disadvantage, and as I wrote above, the main thing that people are looking for is price, not the perfect auction (though that in no way means that the auction pages can't be improved further, because as you say, they can.)

Thread Information