My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Re changes to auction description width

Well to center something with IE6 would require either a fixed left margin, or the use of text-align:center, firefox would require with a fixed left margin or margin:auto. the use of text-align: center would require a div tag that didnt exist at the time, so all the templates would require an update anyway even with margin:auto. using a fixed margin would just be annoying since it would need to be updated if another width change was made, and if i was away at the time there would be no one to make those changes.

I didn't say stylesheets could change the ids and classes, but if i used an id or class then eBid used then it would cause issues, and if eBid were to create a new id or class or rename an existing one then that would cause issues as well.

If you take a look at my mum's templates you would see that i do use CSS, but by using style="" and not a link to an external css file, which by the way is agenst w3c standards which is something i follow as much as possible with all html based work i do.

View 3drom's Feedback (+57)
    All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

Toz, all you need to do is make sure you use descendent selectors, and make the name of your wrapper ID not "wrapper" - then your styles will only affect the CSS in your auction, not the Ebid page, and not vice versa, i.e.

#Tozwrapper h2 {
    color: #FFFFFF
    }

#Tozwrapper .Tozmain {
    width: 800px;
    {

etc.etc.etc.

For anybody who's interested, I'm sorry I haven't done the template yet, but I knocked up some changes to my style sheet over the last twenty minutes, you can view the difference by looking at this auction:

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...8-0&mo=auction

and then look at this auction, which is exactly the same HTML code (except it points to a different style sheet):
    http://uk.nine.ebid.net/perl/auction...1-0&mo=auction

I didn't have to amend any of the HTML.

Well by looking at your templates my reasoning of following standards is completely lost on you, even though you have used a doctype, its in mid document, along with another html, head, body...

[quote=3drom;645521]Toz, all you need to do is make sure you use descendent selectors, and make the name of your wrapper ID not "wrapper" - then your styles will only affect the CSS in your auction, not the Ebid page, and not vice versa.
    quote]

Your CSS
    IS affecting the eBid page.

Must admit overwriting their CSS to brighten up your listings, does make them stand out.

Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View 3drom's Feedback (+57)
    All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    [
    Your CSS
    IS affecting the eBid page.

Must admit overwriting their CSS to brighten up your listings, does make them stand out.
    Yes, I know it's affecting the Ebid page, but that was out of choice, not mistake...

My point about using high specificity descendent selectors is still valid, and still works.

And yes I know I use an html, head and body tag Toz, but it works fine. I'm well aware of validating style sheets and HTML, but needs must.

If you prefer to have to manually edit each and every auction, that's fine by me, but I'm sure those who use my template will be happy with the results.
    Last edited by 3drom; 11th May 2008 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3drom View Post
    And yes I know I use an html, head and body tag Toz, but it works fine. I'm well aware of validating style sheets and HTML, but needs must.

If you prefer to have to manually edit each and every auction, that's fine by me, but I'm sure those who use my template will be happy with the results.
    Tozcentral is not a seller.
    The only reason I've had to change my auctions manually is the width changes implimented by eBid.
    As for external style sheets if Toz ever decides on one we would host it on our own severs. I like to have full control of my auctions.

I don't doubt that those who use your style sheets will be happy with the results, but I will not be one of them - I'm going with Toz and if he is to busy there are 5 other members of my family with the knowledge to help.

Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

Quote Originally Posted by tozcentral View Post
    Well to center something with IE6 would require either a fixed left margin, or the use of text-align:center, ...
    No, just use margin-left auto and margin-right auto.

As for your fears about clashing with ebid's classes and ids, it's not an issue, give them names that are personal, e.g. toz-thisthatortheother.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information