Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Re changes to auction description width

View 3drom's Feedback (+57)
    All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

When I've done the template you'll be able to see what I mean, Gothinica, it will be just as easy to edit as the WYSIWYG editor, in terms of people changing the title, the subtitle, the description, the picture, etc.
    Any other changes I can set up in the external CSS file to their liking, and then no matter what happens to the auction format in the future, it should be possible to change all of their auctions' appearance from the one CSS file, so they'll never need to go back and manually edit any of the HTML ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by 3drom View Post
    When I've done the template you'll be able to see what I mean, Gothinica, it will be just as easy to edit as the WYSIWYG editor, in terms of people changing the title, the subtitle, the description, the picture, etc.
    Any other changes I can set up in the external CSS file to their liking, and then no matter what happens to the auction format in the future, it should be possible to change all of their auctions' appearance from the one CSS file, so they'll never need to go back and manually edit any of the HTML ever again.

Where will the CSS files be hosted?
    What happens if Gazza does change the plain text editor to exclude linking?
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    What happens if Gazza does change the plain text editor to exclude linking?
    Well, hopefully we'd get more than two hours notice and could be prepared to go back to editing html again or using wysiwyg. In any case, I'm curious to see what 3drom posts as an example as I'm personally not afraid of the text editor. For those that are, html templates and wysiwyg should be viable no matter what.
    DrCooper
    --------------------------------------

eBid Sign-up!

All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Gothinica, the CSS file would be hosted on a free hosting site, by the user. I'll explain how to do all of that.
    If Gazza decides to stop external CSS files I would be extremely surprised indeed, I can't think of any reason why he would want to severely limit the ability of users to produce the best looking auctions they can.

My template will simply be an alternative to the WYSIWYG editor. Nobody has to use it, it's just an option for anybody who wants it. I can't see the problem here.

The whole point about using an external style sheet is that people can start entering their auctions, without having to worry about the look of them at the moment. They just enter all the text, the title, description, postage methods, etc. and upload it, and if they want a different colour, I can edit the CSS file for them (if they don't know how to do it themselves yet), etc. If they fancy adding a Christmas theme, I can do that for them, etc.
    Last edited by 3drom; 6th May 2008 at 07:46 PM.

Red face learn from ebay amazon

why not learn the good designs from ebay (i know we hate it). It's no shame to learn from other people/company as long as it's good for the users.

But now ebid keep changing the main layout/structure of the description page for items and it really puts people off. I hated this when they started to use narrow width because it restricts/lack of the flexibility and ugly but nobody care my opion. Now they change them back but it's clumsy.

Why not just move the main (bigger) picture and Shipping Details information to the bottom (like ebay does) so that the Auction Options, the middle section and the Meet The Seller will level then followed by the wide Description section?????????????????????????????????

why such basic layout design can take so long to be put right?? very frustrating.
    Lots of High Quality Natural/Chinese remedies, supplements, health & beauty products. Guaranteed to beat high street price!
    Please visit my eBid Store:

But 3drom, are you saying that people won't be able to use the wysiwyg editor with your method. That might be fine for the likes of you, me, or Gothicina and others, but there's a huge chunk of people who have a life and consider anything except the wysiwyg editor is right up there alongside discussing string theory with Stephen Hawking. And rightly so.

Unless I've misunderstood you, it seems like the place we should be focussing is fixing the bugs in the wysiwyg editor. Maybe if the site upgraded to the latest version we'd find they're fixed already. Someone needs to investigate that, would myself but I've little time right now. Sorry.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    But 3drom, are you saying that people won't be able to use the wysiwyg editor with your method. That might be fine for the likes of you, me, or Gothicina and others, but there's a huge chunk of people who have a life and consider anything except the wysiwyg editor is right up there alongside discussing string theory with Stephen Hawking. And rightly so.

Unless I've misunderstood you, it seems like the place we should be focussing is fixing the bugs in the wysiwyg editor. Maybe if the site upgraded to the latest version we'd find they're fixed already. Someone needs to investigate that, would myself but I've little time right now. Sorry.
    I've not found a problem with the WYSIWYG editor, it's the width change that irritated me. I've just spent the past 4 days copying and pasting HTML into my listings, so my templates are centered. I'm sick to death of looking at div tags etc.
    I've now got quite a few to items to relist but at least I can just copy the text over.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

Jonwash, I presume people won't be able to use WYSIWYG with my method, but it will be as easy as editing this sort of code:

<!-- The text you can edit has a space above and below it, and doesn't start with < or end with > -->
    <!-- ENTER YOUR TITLE BELOW -->
    <h1>

Title of auction

</h1>

<!-- ENTER SUBTITLE BELOW -->
    <h2>

Subtitle

</h2>

etc.etc.

Presumably most people can understand how to edit the text that says "Title of auction", etc. Those who can't will just have to carry on using the WYSIWYG editor, but I'm sure most people will be able to easily edit the template. After all, I've always used a template to produce my auctions and once I've spent several hours designing the basic template, all I do from then on is exactly what I've shown above - edit the title, subtitle, add pictures, item details, change the postage cost, etc. I don't have to think about the HTML because obviously I want every auction to look exactly the same.

Wizbooks - if you'd used an external style sheet you would only have had to make one change to it, and your auctions would all change automatically.

I'll show you this when I've done the template - sorry I haven't done it yet, been busy with other things unfortunately, but I'll try to get it done tomorrow. It will just be a very simple template, with basic CSS, then I'll produce some custom heading bars, layouts, etc. in different CSS files, and you can choose the one you like best.

Wizbooks - if you'd used an external style sheet you would only have had to make one change to it, and your auctions would all change automatically.
    Using an external style sheet would not have helped with my mum's templates due to the way they are constructed and they way IE 6 works, also using external stylesheets could cause issues with eBid's own layout if they rename or add new ids and classes. At the time there was no need to make the templates to allow for changes from a remote location as the width changes where unexpected.

All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tozcentral View Post
    Using an external style sheet would not have helped with my mum's templates due to the way they are constructed
    That's a bit of a circular argument- if they'd been constructed with an external style sheet, then it would have worked.

and they way IE 6 works,
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you elaborate?

also using external stylesheets could cause issues with eBid's own layout if they rename or add new ids and classes.
    I use an external style sheet in my auctions - please have a look. It's not a problem at all. You can't rename an ID or class, that's not how stylesheets work.

At the time there was no need to make the templates to allow for changes from a remote location as the width changes where unexpected.
    Well, I would have to disagree - it's always better to use CSS for your auction template than not. If you don't need to change anything, ever, then it's still better to use CSS, just to make the auction HTML smaller and to give you much more control over the layout.
    But as things do inevitably change over time, CSS is even more useful.

Thread Information