Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Re changes to auction description width

View 3drom's Feedback (+57)
    All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the test page link Gothinica.

Re the forum message, I think the guy is just making it up, this is what he says:

(He quotes this piece of code):
    "<html>
    <head>
    <title>The Great '58</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <meta name="description" content="Your Website Description" />
    <meta name="keywords" content="keywords, go, here" />
    <link href="http://www.allseasons.vabb.com/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
    <style type="text/css">
    <!--
    .style1 {
    color: #000000;
    font-weight: bold;
    }
    .style2 {color: #000000}
    -->
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>"

"All of the above is in violation of ebay policies and the listing could be cancelled by ebay because it constitutes site interference."

This isn't true. I looked at the two links he gave for Javascript and HTML that isn't allowed, and it doesn't mention most of the code above! (Unless I missed it). It isn't 'site interference' if your code is merely making your auction look better, and not affecting any other part of the Ebay page. In the past I accidentally made some CSS which made the entire background of the auction page a different colour, and I've seen auctions with background images inserted throughout the entire page, but I doubt that that is what Ebay mean by site interference, judging by their FAQs on them.

I did the auction test page, and it said:
    "These tags are not recommended within an auction template:
    <!DOCTYPE
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>
    <meta ...>
    <link ...>
    </head>
    </title>
    <body ...>
    </body>
    </html>"

I'll carry on with my CSS as it is, as it's worked fine for years. It would be interesting to see what Ebid say about this - at least we can get a human response over here!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    But a worrying thought crosses my mind -- the WYSIWYG editor may be a 3rd party component that isn't under Gazza and Mark's control.
    John

This is the WYSIWYG editor used

About TinyMCE
    Version: 2.1.2 (2007-08-21)
    TinyMCE is a platform independent web based Javascript HTML WYSIWYG editor control released as Open Source under LGPL by Moxiecode Systems AB. It has the ability to convert HTML TEXTAREA fields or other HTML elements to editor instances.
    Copyright © 2003-2007, Moxiecode Systems AB, All rights reserved.
    For more information about this software visit the TinyMCE website.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

I bet i'm not the only person who doesn't have a clue about CSS (or RSS) and doesn't want to waste time learining!.
    Any proposed enhamcemenst to the site need to be user friendly for the average ( not a clue about html etc..) user. That's why WYSIWYG editors were invented!

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

You are not alone HH, I tried to devise a new template based on the new width. I got it just right, everything that should be centred was on the template, and the preview. Then when I pressed the button to launch it, I found every thing in the terms & conditions was on the left instead of centred.

As I was intending to use today re-listing things to include the new ebid territories,

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HannaHolly View Post
    I bet i'm not the only person who doesn't have a clue about CSS (or RSS) and doesn't want to waste time learining!.
    Any proposed enhamcemenst to the site need to be user friendly for the average ( not a clue about html etc..) user. That's why WYSIWYG editors were invented!

mmmmmmmm and 3drom reckoned as i was in a minute minority that this affected

you see there are lots of people who use the net to just buy sell or browse which you do not need books and loads of gobbledy gook to learn , if i wanted to be a geek i would have tried harder at school , sorry to all you geeks but this is what it comes down to it`s a case of not everyone has the ability to learn or it might take a lot longer , and yes i have tried and failed on simple html web building page , this change should not have happened without plenty of warning , the 2 hour warning was a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    John

This is the WYSIWYG editor used
    BRILLIANT! Open source, way to go!

You say it's version 2.1.2, but the TinyMCE site has 3.0.8. Might be worth reading whether that's just new features or whether there are bug fixes.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post

you see there are lots of people who use the net to just buy sell or browse which you do not need books and loads of gobbledy gook to learn , if i wanted to be a geek i would have tried harder at school , sorry to all you geeks but this is what it comes down to it`s a case of not everyone has the ability to learn or it might take a lot longer , and yes i have tried and failed on simple html web building page , this change should not have happened without plenty of warning , the 2 hour warning was a joke
    Yes Merlin, but as I've tried to tell you before (and not seen any response from you) I think that the problem most other people were suffering was that their auctions had a bit more whitespace and sometimes weren't centred. Whereas the ones of yours that I looked at a few days ago had a serious fault -- a spurious comment symbol (/*) that was causing your auction listing to be truncated. Your slideshow was missing, all that was visible was the initial description.

But I've just sampled a dozen of your auctions and either I've been lucky or it's been fixed. By you? By G&M?? Magic pixies???

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View rvhc's Feedback (+1153)
    All-About rvhc
    View rvhc's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well mine aren't fixed. This looks pathetic:

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...2-4&mo=auction

and even with a photo there still a weird big space:
    http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...2-8&mo=auction

Quote Originally Posted by booksgo View Post
    Well mine aren't fixed. This looks pathetic:

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...2-4&mo=auction

and even with a photo there still a weird big space:
    http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...2-8&mo=auction
    But I doubt you're missing any part of your auction listings, which I think was the far more serious problem that Merlin had.

Still, I have to agree with you, those spaces do look a bit odd. If you mostly have auctions without any photos at all (e.g. http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...3-0&mo=auction ) it looks fine. If you have auctions with big photos, it's also ok. But if you have a small photo the effect isn't being taken into account.

My feeling is that it's difficult, once you've got a design that has been prepared for you (as G&M have) to go in and tweak it. There are too many knock on effects that they're unlikely to anticipate. With hindsight they should never have accepted the 600 pixel width they were given in the first place. Time to go out and get another design house in?

Or even put the site design out to competition? That's what nearlyfreespeech.net did recently, offering a $1,000 prize to the winner and they got hundreds of entries. Very cost effective way to do it.

Meanwhile they could probably solve the problem by removing the "other auctions by this seller" sidebar. Or they could conditionally suppress it or vary the number of other auctions displayed depending on the size of the main photo and whether there are photo thumbnails for the chosen other auctions.

Please can I claim my prize now?

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post

I'm with you Merlin.
    I don't know HTML or CSS and don't want to learn it. Luckily my youngest is a Geek and has updated a couple of my templates for me.
    Now I've got to close and then relist everything. Managed around 150 today so only another 1,200 odd to go.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

Thread Information