Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: simple computer advice needed please

Default simple computer advice needed please

Hi guys
    I am having a few minor problems ( I am a total computer novice)

1. What is my browsers http proxy?

2. How do I increase my computers memory? Can I just plug something into one of the usb ports? or will it involve taking the back off and tinkering about with a screwdriver!

I know this is basic stuff but any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercream View Post
    2. How do I increase my computers memory? Can I just plug something into one of the usb ports? or will it involve taking the back off and tinkering about with a screwdriver!
    In short, don't try it. If you need to increase the spec of your PC get some advice from someone local to you who can physically see your unit.

Installing more memory will depend on various factors such as motherboard type, what you already have installed, the maximum your machine will accept, the type/s it will work with, the rest of the spec of machine (sometimes it's better just to get a whole new machine) and so on - and yes, it does involve opening the case. So you really need to find someone who can look inside for you and give you some advice.

On the other hand, if you have a complete print out of exactly what is inside your machine from when you bought it, and you haven't had anything changed since then, then someone here may be able to help if you post a copy.

Thanks Damian. I will try to get some local help.
    Could you tell me how I find out what my browsers http proxy is please? I have tried to find out via my windows xp help pages, but can't find any answers there.

buttercream

Before you start playing with proxy settings, please let us know why you think you need to. These settings change how your computer accesses the internet and getting them wrong can cut you off completely.

ok - in a nut shell - I have tesco broadband and for an extra 50p per month I have their internet security (F secure). A couple of months ago they did an upgrade and ever since then things have not been quite right. The Fsecure icon now has a sort of black hourglass over it.I don't have the funds to phone the help line (50p per minute) but I think my computer memory might not be enough to cope with upgrade. It is a medion computer and the label on the back says MED MT401G PCMT7.
    I have kept the box that the computer was packed in and it says................
    Medion Celeron D Processor 336
    processor speed 2.8 GHz
    256 KB L2 cache with 533 MHz FSB
    Dual Layer DVD -ReWriter
    80 GB Hard Disk.
    There is a whole bunch of other stuff eg. ethernet and subwoofer - the usual stuff.
    Anyway its all Dutch to me! Help

Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Bearsden06's Feedback (+26)
    All-About Bearsden06
    View Bearsden06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default www.crucialmemory

Hello have you tried the above company if you get on to their web site site they have a small programme which you let run on your computor,it tells you how much memory you can have and then takes you to the parts.
    They guarantee they will fit and work I have done my own and the daughters RAM after the experts!!!said it could not be done,you download the instructions,which are clear step by step the only thing you have to watch is dont touch the contacts and earth yourself for static
    No soldering unscrewing etc on mine just two clips which lift out the ram and insert the new ones.
    Just switch off the mains power but leave it plugged in for the earth discharge of static.
    Thinks you maybe able to look at the fitting instructions before you commit yourself to purchase
    Bearsden06
    Last edited by Bearsden06; 14th April 2008 at 06:54 PM.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/secondtime-books Still trying to find that elusive book why not visit us we may just have it.=For other collectables come and see us at http://uk.ebid.net/stores/DudleysCollectables

Quote Originally Posted by Bearsden06 View Post
    Hello have you tried the above company if you get on to their web site site they have a small programme which you let run on your computor,it tells you how much memory you can have and then takes you to the parts.
    They guarantee they will fit and work I have done my own and the daughters RAM after the experts!!!said it could not be done,you download the instructions,which are clear step by step the only thing you have to watch is dont touch the contacts and earth yourself for static
    No soldering unscrewing etc on mine just two clips which lift out the ram and insert the new ones.
    Just switch off the mains power but leave it plugged in for the earth discharge of static.
    Thinks you maybe able to look at the fitting instructions before you commit yourself to purchase
    Bearsden06
    Hi - Yes I tried them yesterday and it checked my computer for me and said i had two "slots" and only one was in use - so I have a spare one to increase the memory. I will go back to the site and have another look and see if I feel confident enough to have a go. Thanks to everyone for all the help its much appreciated.
    buttercream

All-About no_worries
    View no_worries's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you haven't sorted your RAM yet, go to www.youtube.com and type "Add RAM" (with the "") into the search box. There are plenty of instructional videos on how to do the install.
    Good luck.

Thread Information