eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have upset my neighbours - advice please?

Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View finedondandy's Feedback (+26)
    All-About finedondandy
    View finedondandy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Unhappy I have upset my neighbours - advice please?

This a bit long so dont bother reading if you dont want to but opinions would be well received.

I live in a lovely culdesac of 12 houses in a large village. We have been here two years, from London and made some lovely friends (not just from our road either) I have my closest friend three doors down and two other close friends in the culdesac. There are 6 other households I would be able to call upon in an emergency too. We all get on really well - its lovely. Two households keep themselves to themselves, one next to my close friend (dont think I have ever really laid eyes on them even) the others live next door to me.

The people next door to us are the type of people who light a barbie without letting neighbours with washing out know beforehand (sorry if you are one of those but its one of my pet hates) I did start just calling over the fence "Colin did you know I had my washing out" and all he replies very rudely is "so?" or "didnt know where you were to tell you" I would then politely ask "Please could you let me know next time"

My close friend was amazed how loud their yelling was when she babysat one night. I guess we must be used to it as it doesnt bother me and I yell sometimes myself anyway (I am in awe of parents who mange not to). Their son is also constantly knocking on my friend and I's doors asking to play with our kids which we dont mind even when it stretches to a snack but the one time a child knocked on their door the kid got such a telling off for disturbing them some parents have banned his son from their houses.

Anyway, last summer I knocked on their door to ask if I could tidy up the hedge that borders our front garden. He was very rude and just said "You can cut it down for all I care" Well I didnt want to do that - it is only 3 foot high but it does give a good border between the gardens. I was hoping some tlc would tidy it up a bit as its clear that its not been looked after at all and as it is a mix of deciduous and evergreen it looks worse in winter. I gave it a good haircut but one shrub did look very unwell. I gave it a good feed too and crossed my fingers. On Wednesday, talking to one of the neighbours, who helps me do my garden, he pointed out it should be one of the priorities to sort out the hedge as it was looking worse than ever - as if my huge garden doesnt give me enough to do - lol!!!

I went and spent £30 on some slow growing conifers and some similar evergreen shrubs to what was there already and some spring bedding too. I started to trim the hedge but it became apparant when I leant on the dead looking shrub and nearly fell over that it was a gonner. It was over my side so I decided to pension it off and a few tugs later it was nearly free. I got the man accross the road to help with the final pull as it wouldnt be sensible to overexert myself in my condition. The two shrubs either side then needed a good prune as they had been growing up through the middle and were very leggy. I gave them a hard prune by about 2/3rds which will give them a whiole new lease of life. The other main shrub I shaved with the shears to bring it into line with the side they had done. (If I was trimming a border shrub I would always do the whole thing as a matter of courtesy - wont now though) Once I had planted everything it looked lovely - I was really pleased and was hoping Kim would like it too.

When she saw she said "I think Colin wanted the shrubs keeping for the privacy so he may want to put something back there thats higher" I said thats fine as I had kept the planting myside to make prunning easier for me. She didnt look too pleased though and I felt awful. I rang my friend down the road and was just telling her when Colin came storming up to our front door. To say he was furious was an understatement. To my disgust though he started shouting at me in front of my kids. I couldnt get a word in edgeways and he stormed off. My friend said I was very calm (as she had heard everything from the other end of the phone) but I didnt feel it.

Five minutes later, I was taking dd dancing and was just going out to the car when my dh pulled up, about to reverse into our drive. Before he could even change gear Colin was up at his drivers window shouting the odds at poor hubbie who hadnt a clue what he was ranting on about. I asked Colin to come and talk to me as hubbie wasnt involved in my efforts and had just driven a long way. Then I had both of them shouting at me whilst kids had escaped and were running riot. In the end after my explanations fell on deaf ears and they denied ever giving me permission to cut everything (which I certainly hadnt done) down, I offered to replace the dead shrub. She just ignored my offer and carried on shouting at me. I told her I wasnt going to even try to make amends if she carried on shouting at me and she replied "we will take it further then" I replied "Oh sue me then" She said "it isnt wise to say that to a sister of a lawyer" - always bent people that threaten such things isnt it! - LOL!!

Anyway I know I am not in the wrong but I cant help feeling very unsettled. I hate confrontation and would never have done what I did if I had known what trouble it would get me into. Mind you I would then have to look out of my window onto an unsightly dead hedge and unloved garden.

Tammy

Hi Hun, In future phone the police, do not get into any arguments with him as he sounds like a nutter, I had one lived next door to me for a while so I know how you feel. I don't really want to say what ended up happening to me but I do know that in the end the police ended up with a huge file on him and they used to keep there eye on him. He was even caught standing in the enty looking up into our bedroom window to see what we were doing, I felt like i could not go out and do anything back or front in case he came out for to start a row.

people like that are not worth worrying about get on with what your happy doing leave the miserable sods to there own devises .life is too short

I do hope you're not loosing sleep over this. People like that aren't worth your time... don't give it another thought. They thrive on conflict and look for things to get upset about.

As the old saying goes..."misery loves company". They are very unhappy people and want you to feel the same. Don't get sucked into it!

GOOD LUCK!
    What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to what lies within us. ~~Henry David Thoreau

http://us.ebid.net/stores/Connies-Closet

Forum Saint
    View Cocksparrer's Feedback (+424)
    All-About Cocksparrer
    View Cocksparrer's Listings
    Forum Posts

In all honesty your neighbours are idiots, and im being polite. If the hedge belongs to them then its up to them to do all the work, should they fail to do so then get a neighbourhood watch scheme sorted. Plus did you offer the clippings back as by law they would still belong to your neighbour. As for their attitudes, that should have been a gut feeling when he said he didnt care. You should have left well alone, the BBQ thingy yes its nice for peeps to advise of BBQ's & bonfires but its not written in law you have to. So complaining isnt an option. If this happens again & by sounds of it no violence & you got off lightly. Call the Police stay indoors & let them rant to their hearts content, if you have camcorder use it but dont let them see you using it. Oh yea as for the woman threatening you with her sister being a Lawyer. Dont worry about it, there would be naff all she could do anyway. Unless lies start to be told.

Good luck ive had similar neighbours before but ive always enjoyed the challenge of winding them up legally & letting them take the blame.

Sound like a pair of idiots to me, how dare they come shouting at you like that in front of your children! Grrrrrr!

You sound like a good neighbour and most neighbours would ha ve been happy about what you did to make things look nicer.

If their so bothered about privacy then they can always put up a 10ft fence can't they lol

Please dont worry yourself about it and definately report them to the police if they come around intimidating you again, it's not on.
    WARNING: May contain traces of sarcasm

Beautiful
    Intelligent
    Talented
    Charming
    Honest

All I can suggest is next time the hedge becomes untidy looking or over grown is to take pictures and show them to the council/landlord as tenants/houseowners do have a responsibility for keeping things like that in good repair, the same with the garden.
    Keep a diary of any harressment but never answer back, i know its easier said than done when someone is in your face shouting at you but really try to bite your tounge and yes phone the police, without sounding as if your bad mouthing them let your other neighbours know whats happening so if they do start you could have others come out as independant witnesses (which the police love) as to who started what.

I had a similar experiance with a person who backs on to my garden, they even accused my kids of throwing leaves into their garden last autumn said they had it all on camera but they did not as the week end this happened my kids were away, they complained about some trees in my garden and when the council found out I am a single disabled parent they sent someone out to trim them but thats a different srory, these people constantly harressed me and my kids even calling my 13 yr old daughter a slag and whore but I kept calm, installed cctv and nanny cams about the place got it all on video and they've been warned any more trouble they will be taken to court.

Hope that helps

Forum Newbie
    Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View paulhaynes's Feedback (+1)
    All-About paulhaynes
    View paulhaynes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ohhhhh Revenge is what you need my love, some nice cress seed sprinkled in a light breeze (wind blowing in the right direction) will put paid to any lawn he might of had !!!
    Failing that...If he is frightening your children in a menacing or threataning way get on to the Police, dont tell them the whole story just the bit about feeling threatened by a violent neighbour, dont forget to log every incident regarding him

Forum Lurker
    View bidnwin's Feedback (+16)
    All-About bidnwin
    View bidnwin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Start a Log File Today !!!

Hi Tammy, pretty sound advice you have had up to now.
    I have just sorted out a similar problem with ex neighbours and to say that I have almost destroyed their life as a result of their behaviour is putting it rather mildly, they picked on the wrong guy.
    Anyway just had a word with the son who is a lawyer and he said let them do their worst, their is little that they can do in such a matter, you are well within your rights what you have done 100%.
    Firstly it would appear that you may be about to get into a long running disagreement with this pratt, it is important to start a log immediately and write everything and I mean everything down in detail, best in a diary, I have some listed, see my items for sale Essential Everyday Items for You if things deteriorate and their is any hint of intimidation or threats report it to the police immediately, get a voice recorder (if you need details of the best and cheapest available email me and I will give you the info' also if things do deteriorate you can always get cctv, it is dead cheap but it is a bit premature to do this yet.
    I cannot stress enough do not get into any type of confrontation with these people and do log everything including what has already happened together with dates and times.
    A useful site for you is as follows, I used to give advice to folk on their with problems such as yours, there are a lot of really useful links and first class support should you need it plus it is free. http://www.nfh.org.uk/
    Remember to keep your cool and good luck, it will work out in the end.
    Last edited by bidnwin; 28th June 2008 at 01:32 AM.

Those people sound like people who just look for trouble. I'd put up the tallest privacy fence you could afford in the back and front yard as soon as possible. Also when they're fighting with each other and being loud, just keep calling the cops on them until they get the hint.

Here in the US people usually just keep to themselves because you never know when you'll find a crazy person. Better safe than sorry.

Thread Information