Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: A Major Gripe

Forum Lurker
    Furnished Upon Request, Michigan, United States
    View ChoiceAntiques's Feedback (+12)
    All-About ChoiceAntiques
    View ChoiceAntiques's Listings
    Forum Posts

Somersethedge is certainly right that no one can possibly know everything there is to know about even one category. As I understand it, the reason the category moderator system has at least some measure of success is due to the fact that the moderators are anonymous, so their level of expertise cannot be known. They also serve for limited periods on a rotating basis and their length of service is unpublished as well, so an offending party cannot gauge the expertise of a category's moderator at any given time.

Any offending party who knowingly disregards site rules risks permanent suspension after a certain number of infractions, so he or she may be willing to test the moderator's level of skill early on, but does so at increasing risk after one or two flags have been successfully set against him.

Of course, any party may contest a flag, but the count or strike doubles in those cases where it is subsequently upheld by an overseer committee of three who are anonymously appointed to review the arguments of both sides.

The system is not faultless, but it does fairly eliminate the majority of those who intentionally disregard site rules and it also encourages all members to apply due diligence when listing.

Unfortunately, such a system can sometimes lead to bitter contention and controversy. Personally, I wouldn't like to see that here as I really enjoy the eBid family spirit.

I don't know that it is warranted, either. As a newcomer I am not very familiar with eBid's current system, just that the category issue may need a little bit of housekeeping. I only mention that system or one like it as a possible solution for a future time when eBid's growth rate may require more frequent or structured category monitoring.

Forum Lurker
    All-About ChoiceAntiques
    Forum Posts

Well, I should have clicked your above link to read Bluebedouin's earlier message. It would have saved you reading my long winded message above. I apologize. I see, too, that you have a similar system in place and members just need to use it more often. Sometimes I wish I could get some things said with fewer words and greater impact. I am really tired now, so I am going to bed and I will leave the issue to the seasoned wise. Night, all....

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

We can split Art and Antiques into 2 top level categories. But would this solve the repro problem. Any more suggestions?

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Forum Lurker
    All-About ChoiceAntiques
    Forum Posts

Smile

Oh, I really love that idea! As to other suggestions, maybe (?) subcategories under Antiques for:

Decorative Arts: Silver

I don't know how you feel about also creating subcategories under Antiques: Decorative Arts for the following since you currently do have categories elsewhere on the site for them, but allowing an additional spot under Antiques as well would create a category specifically for antique wares and open more room in the current category specifically for vintage wares:

Decorative Arts: Porcelain & Pottery
    Decorative Arts: Art Glass

As an aside, do you think it would help if newcomers such as myself were advised of your policy regarding antique versus vintage? I am aware of one site which defines the end of World War II (specifically 1945) as their cut-off date for their "Antiques" category. Other items made beyond that time period are assigned to their "Collectibles" category.

Still another site considers anything older than 20 years "vintage" and allows those items under their "Collectibles" category but bans anything made in the last 20 years altogether. (You probably have eBid's guidelines published somewhere but I just haven't found them yet)

Thanks for opening this topic so that we can give our input after considering and discussing it a bit.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

A specific place for repro pictures?
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Diehard
    View ArtisanUK's Feedback (+49)
    All-About ArtisanUK
    View ArtisanUK's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think your Art categories will be relatively easy to sort out with the addition of a reproduction category broken down at least into paintings/drawings/prints.

The major problem in the antiques section, is not only the categories, but also establishing what is repro and what isn't and making folk put stock into an Reproduction Antiques section. A quick shufty in there yesterday and I saw a lot of stuff that I would doubt would come under either and Antique or Collectable banner, but may be difficult to prove otherwise.

You do however still manage to get a lot of books, prints and other art listed in the Antiques section, these can be shifted relatively easily, most into already existing categories.

Any ideas from people listing in Antiques as what new category would be most suitable for reproduction stuff?

Forum Lurker
    All-About ChoiceAntiques
    Forum Posts

I like the way you think! Yes, a category for Reproductions is very badly needed as reproductions of all sorts are absolutely burying authentic listings for antiques and genuine fine art as well. I don't know how much of an overhaul eBid Administration is considering right now, but maybe some serious tweaking across the board would greatly improve our site. Categories may become especially cumbersome if we continue in the same current growth pattern.

If we define three major categories as Antiques (1945 and Before), Collectibles (1945 to 1980) and Gently Used & Mint New (1980 to Present), then a specific subcategory for Reproductions could be created under Gently Used & Mint New.

I know some members have no interest in antiques or even collectibles, but, if they were required to broadly determine the age of their items prior to listing, it may work to their advantage as they would find some have more value than they had supposed.

If eBid is not in a position to undertake a major category overhaul in the near or intermediate future, then a separate subcategory for Reproductions under Antiques and another separate subcategory for Reproductions under Fine Art would go a long way to helping viewers find what they are looking for.

It would also weigh heavily toward encouraging other antique dealers to come on board with us. I believe an inspection of our combined Antiques and Arts category is causing some to be hesitant about joining eBid as they do not at first glance see a viable place for their wares here. A greater number of antique dealers with the wider array of unique goods they bring with them would go a long way toward strengthening our site.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoiceAntiques View Post
    If we define three major categories as Antiques (1945 and Before), Collectibles (1945 to 1980) and Gently Used & Mint New (1980 to Present), then a specific subcategory for Reproductions could be created under Gently Used & Mint New.
    Maybe Antiques, Vintage, Contemporary? Lots of mid-century designer items aren't merely "Collectibles". Plus, would rather see approx. age determine category (ie: Antique = 50 years + , Vintage = 20 - 50 yrs, Contemporary 1-20 yrs) so category date table wouldn't ever need updating.

Think "Antiques>Reproductions" would be the best place for repros. Would be nice to have an Antiques>Primitives category, too. Not all antiques are "fine".

Guess I should probably move my store out of "Antiques" until I actually list some, but I abhor the term "Collectibles". Brings to mind M&M's containers (sorry if you collect them).
    Pardon me, my age is showing....

We're Always OPEN...click to ENTER!

Forum Lurker
    All-About ChoiceAntiques
    Forum Posts

I like the "Antiques", "Vintage" & "Contemporary" language even better. The only thing is that the '60s stuff would soon be falling into the Antiques category if we were to use the 50 year rule as a cutoff and I remember that era as though it were yesterday! Maybe use "Pre-1950", "Post-1950" and "Post 2000"?

As to a "Reproductions" subcategory under Antiques, that would work. I do think the folks selling fine art deserve a subcategory for "Reproductions" under "Fine Art", too, though. Otherwise, their pieces would just be even further buried under the stuff coming out of "Antiques."

I don't know the history behind so many subcategories for "Frames" under Antiques, but maybe they could be condensed or combined? That would make additional room for other subcategories under Antiques such as "Primitives" as suggested above which is another area of major interest to collectors.
    Last edited by ChoiceAntiques; 4th April 2008 at 10:59 PM.

Thread Information