eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: A Major Gripe

Forum Diehard
    View ArtisanUK's Feedback (+49)
    All-About ArtisanUK
    View ArtisanUK's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just passing through at the minute ... yes, there is a section for repro art under Art - Contemporary. Although this category, for obvious reasons, isn't as searched by the antique art collectors - that's why folk shove the repro stuff in the older categories.

Gotta go ...

My 2 cents...

Art & Antiques should be separate.

Repro prints are not necessarily Contemporary Art - Contemporary Art refers to art created after WWII, so a print/copy made yesterday of a 19th century painting/print is NOT Contemporary Art.

Maybe an art category for Art-Antique Reproduction

Of course, as ArtisanUK points out, some sellers will still list where they think the viewers are, not necessarily where the item belongs.
    Pardon me, my age is showing....

We're Always OPEN...click to ENTER!

Quote Originally Posted by EmporiumOn5th View Post
    My 2 cents...

Art & Antiques should be separate.

Repro prints are not necessarily Contemporary Art - Contemporary Art refers to art created after WWII, so a print/copy made yesterday of a 19th century painting/print is NOT Contemporary Art.

Maybe an art category for Art-Antique Reproduction

Of course, as ArtisanUK points out, some sellers will still list where they think the viewers are, not necessarily where the item belongs.
    People who constantly abuse the categories, are very likely to find ALL their items removed & their accounts put on hold, they are then given a time limit to sort things out. It has happened before.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

I agree that we need a major tidy up of categories. I personally would like to see some where you get various grop down lists to narrow down your search instead of the hierarchical menus. eg at the moment is you are looking for computer games, you can only search for each type of game eg PS3 Xbox separately. If you have these drop down options instead:

Console Manufacturer (eg Microsoft, Sony)
    Console Type (eg Xbox 360, Nintendo DS)
    Item (ag accessories, games, consoles)

that way, you could narrow down your search as little or as much as you wanted.

I would also like to see some sub categories appearing in more than 1 main category automatically if there are 2 different places where they could equally fit. eg the reproduction prints. If people weren't sure whether to look in Art and Antiques, or Contemporary, you could put the sub category of eg reproduction prints in both, so that they can always be found.

Forum Diehard
    All-About ArtisanUK
    Forum Posts

I posted here earlier on and it didn't go up.

I shall sulk until tomorrow ...

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, the categories need a rethink and yes, the scrolling thing is getting too long to be useful.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree Madelaine, there must be a more user friendly system. I hate to say it, but when I last used the other site it was much easier to find the category you wanted.

Maybe a quick fix for the mis categorized items would be to have a confirmation page that shows you exactly where the listing is heading before finally pushing the button.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Forum Lurker
    Furnished Upon Request, Michigan, United States
    View ChoiceAntiques's Feedback (+12)
    All-About ChoiceAntiques
    View ChoiceAntiques's Listings
    Forum Posts

Maybe it is time to look at also separating Art from Antiques and vice versa altogether? The category is getting so cumbersome together that it is too time consuming to wade through more just a small portion of it at any one time. I would think the problem will only increase over time. It is really in dire need of some help, IMHO. I almost logged off on my first visit here due to it. Of course, I went on to explore eBid further and am now very pleased to be here.

Forum Diehard
    All-About ArtisanUK
    Forum Posts

Thing is, it's not going to make any difference how you segment it if people still keep listing things in any category. I really do think that is the issue that needs to be tackled first.
    For instance you have a Contemporary Art category 1989-now, but there are still loads of modern repro listings in the different art categories 1900-1989.
    I'm presuming that you have a similar situation over in Antiques and Collectables?

I know from experience that dealers and collectors won't hang around for 2 minutes if they start getting hit with a couple of pages of repro stuff. They just don't have the time to mess about and sort the wheat from the chaff.

Blast, I was going to say something else but my screen flickered and now I've forgotten ...

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello , Just think for a minute , I asked about getting USSR and RUSSIAN into separate bits ,but we can manage as it is....but as collectors know...there are HUNDREDS of FACTORIES with Different marks.....and some Factories with several marks....
    would you expect M or G to somehow put all these marks in to a drop down menu ???
    to be honest I think not.....
    there are a lot of merits in some of the listings but there has to be a limit...
    and yes some buyes will not take time to look....well that could be their loss and someone else's gain....sorry but be fair....if you want something bad enough...YOU WILL LOOK......papa.

Thread Information