Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: A Major Gripe

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    2. There should be as few levels as possible (I think that makes sense in terms of the browsing experience of a potential buyer as well as efficiency ie. simplest solutions are usually the best, elegance, Ockham's Razor bla, bla, bla).
    Restating Occam's Razor: things should be as simple as possible and no simpler.

When you sell something you choose first level, then second level. There is, as far as I can see, never a 3rd level categorisation anywhere. This seems madness to me, it's unscalable. We shall end up with enormous numbers of 2nd level categories, it's already that way in some areas (e.g. Books).

Clearly Da Boyz are not listening on this point. If you agree, Kedo, I feel there could be real benefit in using your expertise to get this reviewed in a positive way.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Diehard
    View ArtisanUK's Feedback (+49)
    All-About ArtisanUK
    View ArtisanUK's Listings
    Forum Posts

Right, since Kedo asked yesterday if this thread was dead and buried, I thought I'd bump it back to the top and be really specific;-

To Mark and Gazza - is there any chance that the reproduction items which are wrongly listed in specific date-line categories are going to be removed?

I've got to be honest, I don't really want to side-track this thread by making suggestions as to what new categories need to be included, other than to suggest, Antiques/Art/Collectables gain reproduction sections.
    My major concern is that in most of the older datelined art categories we now have more modern reproductions listed than those correct for the period. These items are also listed as modern reproductions.

It would be very nice to hear from you boys ...

View cmjewels925's Feedback (+7924)
    All-About cmjewels925
    View cmjewels925's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanUK View Post
    Right, since Kedo asked yesterday if this thread was dead and buried, I thought I'd bump it back to the top and be really specific;-

To Mark and Gazza - is there any chance that the reproduction items which are wrongly listed in specific date-line categories are going to be removed?

I've got to be honest, I don't really want to side-track this thread by making suggestions as to what new categories need to be included, other than to suggest, Antiques/Art/Collectables gain reproduction sections.
    My major concern is that in most of the older datelined art categories we now have more modern reproductions listed than those correct for the period. These items are also listed as modern reproductions.

It would be very nice to hear from you boys ...
    Sorry, but I think a list of new categories/reorganisation of existing categories IS what's needed here.

I very much doubt either Gazza or Mark are antique/art experts so it is unlikely that they will, on their own, be able to set up the categories in such a way that they will pass muster with those who are experts.

I would suggest starting a new thread showing the boys the optimum arrangement of top level and sub cats so that there is a clear place for everything. Without that input I don't see how the boys can be expected to change the cats AND get it right.

CMEJewellery For all your jewellery needs.

Beads 'n' Bobs For beads.

Charms 'n' Findings For charms and jewellery making supplies.

Forum Diehard
    View ArtisanUK's Feedback (+49)
    All-About ArtisanUK
    View ArtisanUK's Listings
    Forum Posts

I can see your point but I actually started this thread (perhaps in the wrong place) because the major problem at the current time is that repro is being placed in antique categories.
    At the moment, in art at least, there are more suitable categories for repro to go into.

I really can't see the point in making suggestions as to how categories are to be arranged if the same problem is going to occur.
    If those repro items had already been moved, then maybe I would have more incentive to sit down and figure other date-lines etc out. As it stands, if repro is allowed to be listed in older date line categories then what exactly is the point?

Moreover, currently we know we have a lot, if not thousands of new people coming to the site, all they get is an eyeful of repro irrespective of the categories they are looking in.

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmjewels925 View Post

I would suggest starting a new thread showing the boys the optimum arrangement of top level and sub cats so that there is a clear place for everything. Without that input I don't see how the boys can be expected to change the cats AND get it right.

Just thinking about it now.

Pontefract, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View astro941's Feedback (+27)
    All-About astro941
    View astro941's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Antiques and other categories

You may have noticed that I have made suggestions for 2 other categories re Walking sticks above, I don't like listing new items in the Antique category but their is nowhere else suitable for walking sticks to go at this point in time. I realise that staff must be rather busy but it would be nice to fix this issue.

Forum Lurker
    Furnished Upon Request, Michigan, United States
    View ChoiceAntiques's Feedback (+12)
    All-About ChoiceAntiques
    View ChoiceAntiques's Listings
    Forum Posts

Another thread has been started here entitled "Listing In Wrong Category" where a potential newcomer asked to have this issue "sorted out". Speaking for myself, I sure would be happy to see it resolved.

Improper listings have been diligently reported for a good long time now, but a small handful of offending parties are intentionally dumping those same listings right back where they originally parked them.

Can we hope to see the category rules fairly enforced for the benefit of all at any time soon? If not, we are pushing a string uphill with our good efforts to build here as categories cluttered with reproductions or irrelevant items are a serious red flag for some visitors and an irritating bore to many others.

Forum Newbie
    All-About charmings
    View charmings's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Not collectables please!

"If there isn't maybe there should be a place for them, if not in Art & Antiques where? Collectables? Home & Garden?"

Oh no! Please not in collectables! If there have to be repros listed can't they have a catogory of their own? "Modern Reproductions" perhaps? I too don't want potential customers wading through a bunch of junk. They can always go to feebay for that.

BTW....Hi, I'm new here and a refugee from you-know-where, the place where you can't make any money now because of all the great new policies.
    Karen

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Welcome Charmings!

Forum Newbie
    All-About charmings
    View charmings's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Ot

Thanks Jan!
    The songs are hysterical! Did you write them all? I assume you are another refugee?
    Karen

Thread Information