Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Boycott!

Default Another Boycott!

For those that haven't heard yet, sellers are planning ANOTHER boycott of that "other site!" This one is supposed to go indefinitely starting May 1st....here's more info about it:

MAY 1ST BOYCOTT THREAD - PLEASE PLEDGE YOUR SUPPORT HERE.
    mrskillion (177 )mrskillion (177 Feb-26-08 16:40 PST Goodevening Seller Central,

I have a few announcements/requests to make this evening. First, I want to announce an open-ended boycott of ebay starting on May 1st, 2008.

The group of 1,000 sellers ( and growing every hour )which has organized itself outside ebay has been discussing for a number of days now what our next steps should be.

We believe that another boycott is something that needs to be done. We have picked the date of May 1st for a number of reasons. It gives us time to organize and spread the word. It coincides with the month the new feedback changes go into effect. And personally, I always think of May as the month when things really begin to grow. I believe that this boycott will really, really grow!

Our last boycott, Feb 18-25th, was successful in many ways. First, without it we would not have a core group of 1,000 ebay sellers organized now! Secondly, we had a lot of media attention and now many sellers and buyers know about the recent policy changes. They would not have known if all of us did not spread the word. Lastly, we were below 11.9 million listings, which I believe was a great first step.

We did come together and unite with one voice and we were heard. They knew we were there....they have just chosen to ignore us. They may have been under the misconception that it was over on the 25th and we were all going back to business as usual.

I don't think so. I am asking for your help and support. Please go to the two off-ebay sites and sign up. We are in the process of choosing state leaders, so if you can take that leadership roll it would be wonderful. Each of the 50 states will have a team leader in charge of handling the media contacts, news distribution to other ebay sellers/buyers in their state and other tasks. State leaders report directly to the core group which consists of 6 at the moment.

We need to send an even stronger message to Ebay that the policy changes they have recently made are not acceptable.

What were those policy changes?

First, we were told that there was a fee reduction. WOW, GREAT! That was a short lived smile on the face of the average seller.

A few sentences later we read in the Ebay announcement that listing fees were going down by as little as a nickel while Final Value Fees were going up by as much as 67%.

Reserve fees doubled and were made non-refundable

Fee hikes are bad enough without being lied to about them.

Then we learned that while buyers were still allowed to leave positive, negative or neutral feedback sellers were only allowed to leave Positives.

Ebay is going to tell me what my opinion of a transaction is going to be? What if it wasn't positive?

Oh, then I can leave nothing. Well that really doesn't work. What if a buyer never paid, or paid four weeks late, or called me at home at 3am? What if they filed a chargeback and sent back a USED broken ipod instead of the brand new one they bought from me?

Positive feedback or nothing really doesnt work now does it?

Oh, then there is the paypal issue. Paypal can hold the sellers money from a sale up to 21 days.

Here is the post from a pink on the paypal thread 30. What can I do to avoid having eBay item holds?

Your payments WILL BE NOT HELD if you meet all the following requirements:

eBay Tenure: Greater than 6-months
    Total Feedback score: More than 100
    Dissatisfied Buyers %: Less than 5%

Or if you meet all the following requirements:

Detailed Seller Rating: Greater than 4.5
    Total Detailed Seller Ratings Recieved: More than 20 in the last 12-months

OH, and paypal will just keep the interest they earn on your money for all their trouble! Problems with BEST MATCH and other ebay functions are issues too.

THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT. THIS TIME EBAY HAS GONE TOO FAR. JOIN US MAY 1st. EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO JOINS US MAKES US STRONGER.

This might be a good time for former 'bayers who have come over here to spread the word wherever you can. Maybe a strong advertising campaign from eBid, or just every seller taking it upon themselves to notify as many former customers as they can locate can make a significant difference?!

Rhondda Cynon Taf, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    View Trinakarenmille's Feedback (+2574)
    All-About Trinakarenmille
    View Trinakarenmille's Listings
    Forum Posts

Lori.

The U.S. sellers are getting very well organised for the next boycott.
    The other thing I have noticed they are getting sellers to list on specific sites to make the most impact. Plugging away the sites by just putting OLA abbreviated for one auction site. This way they can avoid the pink slaps.

I put Ebi*d.
    Now pointing out there that Ebid is not partly owned/owned by greedbay as there seems to be some impression that there is a connection. That impression may put sellers off coming to Ebid as they are also boycotting any sites with a greedbay connection.

I certainly hope so! I participated (actually still are!) in the last one, and have spread the word through feedback (on E**y), and mailers to my past customers, as well the buddy point program here.

UNLESS Ebay takes back this latest round of proposed and recently implemented changes, I will stay gone. It was tough to walk away, but I know that in time I'll be successful once again!

Quote Originally Posted by LoriKeet08 View Post
    I certainly hope so! I participated (actually still are!) in the last one, and have spread the word through feedback (on E**y), and mailers to my past customers, as well the buddy point program here.

UNLESS Ebay takes back this latest round of proposed and recently implemented changes, I will stay gone. It was tough to walk away, but I know that in time I'll be successful once again!
    P.S. For got to mention that on my feedback left for others I put "Great Buyer! Visit us again at our new site e bid dot net! )" And on the boards disguise it by saying something like "I relocated to a new sitebidnet..."

So far such things haven't been removed. I will keep trying to get the word out. Already got "slapped" a few times by the mods...what a cranky little bunch!

View bloss000's Feedback (+225)
    All-About bloss000
    View bloss000's Listings
    Forum Posts

It is hard to just shut up shop and walk away - until things pick up here I still need to shift my stock and make a bit of cash. I have cut down my listings by approx half from 700 to 350 and I am putting cards in each parcel with eBid on and also using my eBid tape to seal parcels and boxes. I don't list nearly as frequently as I was sometimes only one new item a day - hopefully by May 1st I will be almost totally an eBid seller and nothing else!! We all need to get busy advertising for that to work for us all!
    Let's keep at it and show greedbay how we feel and what we are made of!!

The sooner folk dump them completely the sooner the alternatives will be big enough that no longer will anyone be held to ransom because their will be a choice, ebay will no longer have a monopoly. All the time people list and buy there they perpetuate the monopoly.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

I agree I havent listed since the 15th and do not plan to ever return only income at this point but we will survive I cannot deal with them anymore I was thinking of listing a few vaugue auctions with no pictures and send people to this site for the real nice goods. any chance this will work? Chris

I closed my shops down around the 15th. with the new fees I would have been paying almost as much as I was taking. Alright I won't have a holiday this year, but at least I won't be paying for theirs either :-)

Default MAY 1st EBAY BOYCOTT

Hi everybody,

We just want to say that we FULLY back the May 1st eBay boycott.
    We will certainly be supporting this boycott openly and hope other members will follow suit.

Kindest regards,

AAC

Why wait until 1st May leave now
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Thread Information