eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any computer geek can help me please?

Angry any computer geek can help me please?

I am currently using my pc which is windows xp, but have also purchased a laptop this week with windows vista for hubby to use.
    Tried to get internet access on vista, but the computer does not seem to recognise the modem. Tried everything to get it going & am now tearing my hair out.
    I must mention that i am on dial up, only because i'm unable to get b/band which is a nightmare all on it's own.
    Does someone know why the modem might not be recognised?
    Dawn x

Is this an external modem or an internal one, if you bought a laptop with Vista installed I would have thought it should have been setup correctly. I haven't got Vista so not the best person to advise you, other than load XP on it, I wouldn't touch Vista.

Does the Modem show up in the Devices?
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Ken,
    there is a list of about 4 that show in the devices, but the one use for this computer is not listed on the new laptop as an option.
    I have looked at this comp and it is a
    "conexant softk56(modem(m) com3."

I did wish that the new laptop had come with windows xp as i didn't really want vista, but it seems like there's no choice.
    Do you think i have to specially purchase a new modem that is compatable?

Go to the website for the modem's manufacturer and see if they have a Vista compatible driver or information on how to use an older driver.

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Go to the website for the modem's manufacturer and see if they have a Vista compatible driver or information on how to use an older driver.
    tried that and still didn't get any where with it. Its'a fujitsu siemans esprimo v5535.
    Purchased a new modem today that's supposed to be the bees knees for the dial up. but the stupid laptop does not recognise that either.
    I am either doing something terribly wrong or the new laptop manufacturer assumes we are ALL on broadband!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkdeco View Post
    tried that and still didn't get any where with it. Its'a fujitsu siemans esprimo v5535.
    That's the name of the laptop, not the modem.

That particular model comes with a built in 56k V90 modem which should work perfectly well with Vista once setup correctly.

When i was on dialup i used www.onspeed.co.uk which increased the speed by at least 5 times, worth having a look.

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    That's the name of the laptop, not the modem.

That particular model comes with a built in 56k V90 modem which should work perfectly well with Vista once setup correctly.
    well, found out why it's not working from an IT bloke at work this morning. he had a look at it and tells me that it does not have a modem. Where i've been plugging it in, is for the b/band. He said that's what happens buying "cheap" you don't get all the packages. Even the microsoft works is a temporary thing until i purchase it separately! Not at all happy at my big mistake. This laptop is useless until i can get around to getting b/band, which at the mo is a blockage on the exchange which needs a fix.

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

new laptop with no 56 k modem installed jeez take it back

hi not sure if this has been coved but you can set up internet connection sharing on the XP Computer and use a Cross over cable to the Vista computer and use the internet that way !! not sure if this helps .... buts it could be worth it ... any way just trying to help...

Thread Information