Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: British and American names for things should be interchangable

Default Re: British and American names for things should be interchangable

I just had one of those flashes (thanks to this thread) and did some research. George Washington and John Adams were fourth generation, their great-grandparents were born in England. Thomas Jefferson's grandfather was from Wales. Benjamin Franklin and Alexander Hamilton were first generation, both their fathers were born in Britain.

It seems a distinct possibility that our Founding Fathers and their neighbors had British accents.

I know, this really segues away from the original topic. Couldn't resist.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I just had one of those flashes (thanks to this thread) and did some research. George Washington and John Adams were fourth generation, their great-grandparents were born in England. Thomas Jefferson's grandfather was from Wales. Benjamin Franklin and Alexander were first generation, both their fathers were born in Britain.

It seems a distinct possibility that our Founding Fathers and their neighbors had British accents.

Oh yes, the War of Independence was basically between two lots of British gentlemen!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

I just had one of those flashes (thanks to this thread) and did some research. George Washington and John Adams were fourth generation, their great-grandparents were born in England. Thomas Jefferson's grandfather was from Wales. Benjamin Franklin and Alexander were first generation, both their fathers were born in Britain.

Never thought about it, but that's really cool.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

..... George Washington['s].... great-grandparents were born in England.
    Just down the road from us in Sulgrave.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

That is very interesting. However, it can also be said that folks living in the northern part of the US also talk funny and have fought against fellow Americans in that War of Northern Aggression. ;-)

Everything written below was written with mischievous eyes and a devilish grin.

Brit’s really don’t understand how crazy we colonials were and still are. Those who found the United States viewed themselves as natural born Englishmen. Unlike so many others in the empire the 13 colonies instead bowing and serving the crown actually had the nerve to demand there rights. The crown declared this treason, even though under the law it was NOT technically, and told them to stop speaking & to simply obey. Pssst we didn’t listen and the view of eBid that for whatever reason they can do whatever they like isn’t a good idea. At least give us Yankees the “illusion” that we have a say.

Deleting whole thread because one or two people start cursing or insulting each other isn’t cool. I don’t know about the UK but here in the US we don’t close the pub because a few are getting out of hand. They are tossed out, and everyone else goes back to drinking, singing karaoke, or whatever.

Matter of fact we made a constitution with the First Amendment being Freedom of Speech.
    First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Instead of using our crazy rebel mentality to your advantage “eBid” I fear you’ll want to be overly proper and mannerly. I don’t know why but you seem to be under the delusion that you are the member’s liege lord or something like that. No offense but you need us, please try to remember that.

We like aggression, bravado, and if anyone tells you to behave or tone it down hold up the finger Longbowmen “pluck the yew” with. If you say sorry make it, “Sorry you’re a LAME GIT!”. Has the Bay ever been mild or held back? No! So don’t hold back. If you think something your doing is a little too edgy put it in a speedo, turn the volume up, and any if you can make it a little more offensive please do try.

If you need a theme song or anthem to go off of Google: LMFAO Sexy And I know It

If any from the US are acting otherwise they are just trying to win you over, they’re lame, or they have been over here a while and you have influenced them. I’m dumping ice water on my fellow Americans. You’re not helping them understand us if you acted just like them. They need to know how to attract the majority of the US. You know the impatient pushy people that want and demand results. 25% of the world’s GDP, so our style could be working.

I actually had someone off the Bay offer to pay me directly through PayPal on the 7th if I’d knock off a few bucks, and even gave me the address to his own website to contact him. I sell this product for cheaper then he wanted to spend on a direct payment through poopay over here on eBid, and the individual has an active ID over here. His respond was just to buy it off of the Bay for about $6 more and when I of course asked why he said and I quote “Not a fan of ebid, so i bought from you instead.” Now is this individual a bit of a retard for spending $6 more, yes of course. He said something else about someone wanting $25 for shipping something else. Was he probably looking at something in the UK and to lazy to look for my listing, yeah probably, but hey he still spend money. Dumb lazy people spend money. PayPal doesn’t take a Doctorate in rocket science to use.

Try some gimmicks. We Yankees simply love them. Make a hilarious YouTube Video commercial and get a 1000 buddy points if it 100,000 likes or dislikes, or some other gimmick. Gimmick good. EBid being slow and not making visible strides bad.

God can’t you get Google to invest or something? Maybe make a 5 year plan or something to take out PayPoo or something. I don’t mean just off this site mind you, but to drop them as a company or severely cripple them.

You're speaking for yourself, not the United States. Most of us (and almost everyone I know) believes that good manners and self-control are the hallmarks of civilized people. And I do not think the "disclaimer" in the first sentence excuses the tone of your comments. I am not the only U.S. member who has commented that we appreciate the good manners displayed here.

I do not like aggression or bravado. I do not TELL someone to behave, I ask. I do not DEMAND specific actions from people, I request them. I have asked eBid for a few things and they've responded, so we do have input here. And freedom of speech means you can give your opinion, in a reasonable manner, and engage in debates. It does not give you the freedom to use offensive language, shout, or otherwise disrupt other people's conversations.

I certainly hope your post gets ignored. Unfortunately, it may get this entire thread deleted. That's necessary because they don't have time to go through the entire thread looking for all the quotes of the offender. They have better ways to spend their time.

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

And, I am led to believe, some of you really hate being referred to as Yankees
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    And, I am led to believe, some of you really hate being referred to as Yankees
    LOL, especially this Southern gal.

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

It seems to me that weaverboy is making a mistake which we over here are often accused of. He is stereotyping all citizens of the USA. But he is, I find, usually best ignored.
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

Thread Information