eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re bank transfer

Forum Newbie
    All-About qing12102000
    View qing12102000's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Question re bank transfer

I have some questions on payment options.

I have a Seller+ account with eBid.

I have entered my paypal details in eBid.

When I list an item, I choosed three payment options: paypal, credit/debit card, and bank transfer.

I assume that it means buyer can pay using any of the three options, correct?

If the buyer pay by credit/debit card, how do I receive the money? Do I receive the money in my paypal account?

If the buyer choose bank tranfer, how do they know my bank details? And again how do I receive the money? in my paypal acount?

When I set up my account with ebid, I need to verify a debit/credit card. What is the card used for?

Thanks.

Qing
    Last edited by qing12102000; 13th August 2016 at 06:13 PM.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Question re bank transfer

Hi From what you have told us you should have only checked (ticked) th paypal and bank transfer options. The credit/debit card option is for people who have the technology to process the cards themselves.

As for the bank transfer option, my advice would be to set up a separate account that is only used for this purpose and can't have direct debits or standing orders drawn on it. (I learnt this the hard way, when someone set up payments from my account due to the incompetence of Nationwide Building Society). When some one buys an item you will receive a message giving their contact details and you would send them the details of your account.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Forum Newbie
    All-About qing12102000
    View qing12102000's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Hi From what you have told us you should have only checked (ticked) th paypal and bank transfer options. The credit/debit card option is for people who have the technology to process the cards themselves.

As for the bank transfer option, my advice would be to set up a separate account that is only used for this purpose and can't have direct debits or standing orders drawn on it. (I learnt this the hard way, when someone set up payments from my account due to the incompetence of Nationwide Building Society). When some one buys an item you will receive a message giving their contact details and you would send them the details of your account.
    Thank you for the detailed reply.

So ebid does not work the same way as ebay. On ebay, even when buyer pay by debit/credit cards, the money is received in the seller's paypal account.

I think I will just tick paypal as the only payment option for now for peace of mind.

When I am trying to change my listings, I could not log in because ebid is asking me to upload two IDs to verify me. Is this normal?

Thanks.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

eBid is asking you to verify your identity because you have listed a high value item
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qing12102000 View Post
    So ebid does not work the same way as ebay. On ebay, even when buyer pay by debit/credit cards, the money is received in the seller's paypal account.
    Buyers can still pay by card through PayPal. The credit/debit card option is for those sellers that have a merchant bank account (which you are unlikely to have unless you run a largish business) and can process card transactions themselves - without needing to use an intermediary such as PayPal.

When I am trying to change my listings, I could not log in because ebid is asking me to upload two IDs to verify me. Is this normal?
    Yes, if you are a new seller with no track record and list an expensive item - particularly so if that item is one that is favoured by scammers - which mobile phones are. It's not casting aspersions on you, but simply an extra check carried out to weed out scammers and help protect buyers.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qing12102000 View Post
    Thank you for the detailed reply.

I think I will just tick paypal as the only payment option for now for peace of mind.

Thanks.
    Yes. eBid does work the same way as Ebay. When a buyer opts to pay by Paypal, they are offered the choice of using their Paypal balance or using a credit card. So a buyer can pay by credit card VIA Paypal. It is nothing to do with Ebay. It applies to Paypal no matter who you are paying.

As Lofty said, you only tick the credit card option of payment if you can process it yourself.
    I offer bank transfer and have had no problems. You send your buyer details of your bank account which they use to pay you. The details you give them are no more than are printed on a cheque. Should a bank allow anyone to set up a direct debit or standing order on your account without your consent, they are required by law to correct their mistake. Having said this, I have had very few buyers ask to pay by bank transfer.

Forum Lurker
    View daysailer55's Feedback (+251)
    All-About daysailer55
    View daysailer55's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    Yes. eBid does work the same way as Ebay. When a buyer opts to pay by Paypal, they are offered the choice of using their Paypal balance or using a credit card. So a buyer can pay by credit card VIA Paypal. It is nothing to do with Ebay. It applies to Paypal no matter who you are paying..
    Yes, eBid works exactly like eBay. eBid offers more choices than Ebay thus the confusion. One does not need to join PayPal to use a credit card.

In the USA one can accept credit cards using a service such as Square or PayPal Here. The credit cards can either be swiped/chip read/invoice sent or manually enter the card number for a higher processing fee charged to the seller. The card readers just plug into a smartphone. Comes in handy at festivals, fairs, and other markets.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I include my bank details in the note to buyer bit on every invoice I send

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Bank transfer is not really a good payment option for US sellers owing to high cost resulting from our banking system.

I have agreed to accept credit/debit cards for payment because I can send a request for payment to anyone (if they have Pay Pal or not) as long as they have a verifiable e-mail address/phone number. They would have to send me that information and I initiate a request/invoice through Pay Pal who processes the transaction (of course, for a fee). Since a lot of my sales are from first time buyers I don't want them to feel they have to join eBid and Pay Pal just to pay for their item.

Thread Information