Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show Items With Bids

Post Show Items With Bids

I know it's been said before but for me it's the 1 thing that is missing from Ebid.
    The main reason being that it is useful when trying to get an idea how much items maybe worth and if there is much interest from buyers rather than viewers.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Show Items With Bids

I'm not sure how much good seeing bids would be in determining value, but it would definitely help in generating some sense of excitement with regard to the item being offered.

I've asked and asked for years for the bids to be shown. They did relent for a few months after an overwhelming poll, a long time ago, but then the bid column was taken away again. Bidding will never take off here without one.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

In my experience a bids made option would not acheive much as when I was selling previously all of my items were available on both auction (10p cheaper) and buy it now. Only ONE item ever had a bid placed on it.

Maybe there should be an option for bids to me made visible if the seller would like it (as with make an offer it would not be compulsory) to use it.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know I've said it before but I can't see why showing bids will help determine value. Neither will it show what interest there is. All my lots have a bid price and a buy now price. The vast majority of buyers use buy now. So showing bids would show neither interest in items or value of items. In fact, showing bids might have the opposite effect, namely that users would look at a list of items. There would be very few bids showing so they conclude there is no interest while, in fact, there is a steady stream of sales - all buy now
    I think the majority of buyers want items now, not wait for an auction to finish.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    I know I've said it before but I can't see why showing bids will help determine value. Neither will it show what interest there is. All my lots have a bid price and a buy now price. The vast majority of buyers use buy now. So showing bids would show neither interest in items or value of items. In fact, showing bids might have the opposite effect, namely that users would look at a list of items. There would be very few bids showing so they conclude there is no interest while, in fact, there is a steady stream of sales - all buy now
    I think the majority of buyers want items now, not wait for an auction to finish.
    Perhaps I used the wrong choice of words in my previous post. The showing of bids would best serve in an auction atmosphere by creating something of a sense of competition between bidders. Of course, if there is not enough interest in an item to entice more than a single bidder to bid on it there is not much that can be done. Some items just aren't good candidates to be sold at auction.

On the other hand, the use of a "buy it now" price in conjunction with an auction is something of a hybrid which is neither auction or fixed offering. Frankly, by setting a BIN price with a starting bid on an auction is something akin to setting the value of an item rather than letting the market set the selling price. I would probably suggest avoiding selling items at auction and simply listing them as fixed price listings instead, if that is the case.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am inclined to blame Google for the (slow and sure) decline of auction style listings all over the internet because of their Buy Now rule to have listings accepted on their shopping search engine - perhaps this is why eBid won't show a bid column because Google denies all listings with bid prices and no Buy Now prices and therefore no exposure?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Round and around and around we go....

We used to have a bid column way back when but there were hardly any bids so they removed it, can't see the point really if i am looking for something on the OS i look for the same item without bids and get it cheaper.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Of course, if you can find the item for sale cheaper for a fixed price there is a good chance that the item probably isn't one that should be sold at auction.

I agree with Jan about Google requirements hurting auction type sales.

Thread Information