eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Excessive postage

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

I did another check on the OP,s listings over there , and there are 2.or 3 items almost identical , little plugs ...and the posage ranges from 50p to £1.00...not to mention other bits that could be considered high p + p ...
    this one is having a laugh....I see no replies....( from OP ) check out P + P on their stuff....but there again , this might be what they want ....for us to see their listings.....
    this is my last post on this theme.....as said in my last post....
    in my opinion , this seller knows what is happening and is trying it on......
    Papa.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattyteddyscave View Post
    I've never understood the "I hate excessive postage" arguement. It's something which seems to be used by people who have a general axe to grind against anything in life, and who have nothing better than to whinge and snitch on other people.

If you don't like the postage, no one's forcing you to buy the item...
    I strongly agree. However it gets more complex when you factor searches into the picture.

I think http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=103979 raises a useful suggestion.

But then I would, wouldn't I!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Angry A pointless Arguement

The point many people overcharge on shipping to begin with on epay is the high Fees involved nothing more as the buyer can never really be tricked by a TOTAL Price Buyers that try to lie and say they didnt read Postage are Liars

Normally you buy an item on epay you read both prices shipping and item price you dont get one without the other

Epay has a policy of that to prevent people from not paying them their ridicuous fees

ebid would not be interested in this as ebid makes money based on the fee they charge anyways and 1% of £100 is still only a £ not exactly anything really

The guy that started this post really needs to ask himself why does Epay really want people to lower shipping cost well because your listing fees then becomes alot more and your final valuation fee is then even more and all round cost your alot more overall

ebid doesnt need to worry about this as ebid does offer a cheaper solution

If the guy that started this post is not some epay operative i would be stunned!

Quote Originally Posted by firstballs View Post
    The point many people overcharge on shipping to begin with on epay is the high Fees involved nothing more as the buyer can never really be tricked by a TOTAL Price Buyers that try to lie and say they didnt read Postage are Liars

Normally you buy an item on epay you read both prices shipping and item price you dont get one without the other

Epay has a policy of that to prevent people from not paying them their ridicuous fees

ebid would not be interested in this as ebid makes money based on the fee they charge anyways and 1% of £100 is still only a £ not exactly anything really

The guy that started this post really needs to ask himself why does Epay really want people to lower shipping cost well because your listing fees then becomes alot more and your final valuation fee is then even more and all round cost your alot more overall

ebid doesnt need to worry about this as ebid does offer a cheaper solution

If the guy that started this post is not some epay operative i would be stunned!
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by firstballs View Post
    Not entirely true. You're obviously intelligent and falling into the trap of assuming other people are as smart as you. In fact there are many people who will, for example, buy something on a market stall priced at 9.99, yet the takings will fall if the card is changed to 10.00.

Likewise, some people see a price they have to bid and are only dimly conscious of the additional postage, regardless of what it is.

I'm sure if you go out on the web and search you'll find an in-depth psychometric study of this, with lots of graphs and 73 pages of statistics and the conclusion is...

Actually I wouldn't like to guess what their conclusion is, but my conclusion is that research councils award far too much money to iffy projects some of the time!

However, I do agree with you that some ebay sellers are trying to reduce fees by upping their p+p. But it's not true to say that's the only aspect.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

There is also the case of not charging enough and eating the postage. Which I have done in a few cases. The buyer and sellers both are in a learning environment.
    See all the items up for sale this week at Crazymama's

http://us.ebid.net/stores/crazymamas

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

psychometric ???? and statistics ........Just 2 words....but I am surewe have all heard it said .........
    there are lies , damned lies , and STATISTICS....meaning stats can be made to say what ever you want....yes far to many studies ....
    But I always check postage on an item ....and I will ask the seller about it if I think it is too high.....or just walk away.....
    ........I have still to get a buyer that will give me the amount I under charge....oh no that will not happen....
    have a nice day......Papa.

Forum Newbie
    St Leonards On Sea, East Sussex, United Kingdom
    View EileensAttic's Feedback (+25)
    All-About EileensAttic
    View EileensAttic's Listings
    Forum Posts

Selling vinyl records, which need proper packaging that costs up to £1 a piece, and then doubles the weight for posting, plus having to use recorded delivery to satisfy Paypal means my p&p appears embarrassingly high. So some of my listings show records for 99p plus full p&p, some are higher prices inclusive of p&p, others in between. But one way or another it has to be there. It's the cost of buying online. The alternative is to pay for petrol and parking for the car and shop on the high street.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

It should always be remembered that the opening bid price being asked for an item has nothing to do with the cost of shipping the item to the buyer. S&H (P&P) is determined by weight, size, method chosen, distance, etc. while the opening bid is merely there because it has to start somewhere. The seller that considers an opening bid as the asking price for his/her item should probably not be selling at auction at all. They had better consider selling at retail using the fixed price format.

Weston Super Mare, Somerset, United Kingdom
    View WorleGirl's Feedback (+929)
    All-About WorleGirl
    View WorleGirl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EileensAttic View Post
    Selling vinyl records, which need proper packaging that costs up to £1 a piece, and then doubles the weight for posting, plus having to use recorded delivery to satisfy Paypal means my p&p appears embarrassingly high. So some of my listings show records for 99p plus full p&p, some are higher prices inclusive of p&p, others in between. But one way or another it has to be there. It's the cost of buying online. The alternative is to pay for petrol and parking for the car and shop on the high street.
    Totally agree with you there!
    Craft Clearout
    (Most new, some hardly used)

Handmade by Jenny
    (my hobby results in lovingly handmade items that need a new home!)

Music

Thread Information