Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting to LPG??????????

Question Converting to LPG??????????

Does anyone have any advice regards to having a 2.8l petrol ford galaxy (1995) being converted to LPG.

How much will it cost (approximately)

Or this may be a silly question, but asking as I do not know the answer, can it be changed from petrol to diesel, and if so what would this entail (for a garage)

This may seem like a silly question to be asking, and would welcome any good advice.

The engine has done 110000 miles but has had new radiator, heater matrix, coolant system and pipes, all new brakes and new abs sensors, towbar & towbar electrics very good.

This is why I don't want to get rid of it, I would just like to make it more economical, currently I get 260miles per tank which cost £55, which works out at an amazing/scary (depending on your point of view) 22p a mile

Forum Lurker
    View cvd's Feedback (+10)
    All-About cvd
    View cvd's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi,

How cheap is LPG there? The conversion will chop 1/3 off your mileage, so you use more and the exhaust is dirtier than petrol (we have a program called AirCare that ended up pulling 80% of the LPG conversions off the road).

Petrol to diesel with the same engine is bad karma... Chevy tried it and no other maker will ever do so again

Cheers!

Conversion to LPG would probably cost more than the car is worth. You can't convert a petrol engine to run on diesel, the only optin would be to drop in another engine, again probably cost more than the car is worth.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Forum Newbie
    Worcestershire, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View uk121's Feedback (+338)
    All-About uk121
    View uk121's Listings
    Forum Posts

Red face LPG Convertion

This is the affordable way to run your car at the moment. Im a lady driver and i have been running my cars on gas for years since i was 18yrs old (11yrs later)im still getting my cars and vans converted to LPG.
    Petrol to Diesel no go area!!!!
    sab

I would go for it. 4 cylinder around £600-800 6 cylinder £1000-£1500. Go for a cheap one, as Fords dont last that long (no disrespect!) Trying to be straight with you!

A good system is over a grand, my problem free one is around ten years old! Thats how long a good quality one will last. A ford, averages around 150k, a well serviced one 200k before it dies. You have been spending money on yours recently on parts that are getting worn, hence i say go for a cheap kit.

You WILL save money, my 18-20mpg on petrol is now 45-55mpg equivalant on gas. recommended - and change you log book to dual fuel and get cheap tax too!

Forum Lurker
    View GCTSpares's Feedback (+2)
    All-About GCTSpares
    View GCTSpares's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have a Merc people carrier that's been converted - I recommend making the change. Fewer miles per litre but it really does save a lot on fuel costs. There are more places to fill up too now - that was a problem at one point. The AA do a handbook on where to find conversion garages, repair places and where to fill up.

Good luck!

I was going to convert my Cab to gas and worked out it wouldant pay unless i did over 35000 miles per year.
    Some ford petrol engines can be converted to gas a few years back it was about £1500 but you will notice a drop in power and wont get the same mph think its about 18 MPH.
    And also check if any petrol stations near you sell the Gas.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    Does anyone have any advice regards to having a 2.8l petrol ford galaxy (1995) being converted to LPG......
    One piece of advice I'd offer is,don't try a diy job!
    The previous owner of a cf did just that,I'm sure your other half will recognise some of the parts.

Change to LPG - It is cheap and easy, and don't bother with diesel! You will get more out of LPG and also you will be paying 15p per litre more for very little difference in economy.

Propane is a very clean burning fuel. Some use it here as well. When it gets really cold it sometimes has a problem getting enough vapor to burn properly in your engine. Should be no problem where you live. You can also have dual fuel. Gas and propane. Getting a good system installed is the key. I've only heard of a few engine head problems. In fact you could get a propane burning vehicle right from GMC factory until a few years ago. Also you should be able to write off the expense somewhere. You need it to run your ebid business don't you?

Thread Information